Uprade Help

66mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Greeneville,TN
I'm trying to upgrade my dad's computer from Windows XP SP3 to Windows Vista HP. The CD I have is the Upgrade version of Windows Vista. When I put the CD in the DVD drive it never goes to the set-up screen. I've tried right clicking the drive to start set up but when I do the drive shows nothing in it. I put the CD in my computer and it started right up but I'm running Windows 7 HP. Any solutions?

I'm trying to upgrade my dad's computer from Windows XP SP3 to Windows Vista HP. The CD I have is the Upgrade version of Windows Vista. When I put the CD in the DVD drive it never goes to the set-up screen. I've tried right clicking the drive to start set up but when I do the drive shows nothing in it. I put the CD in my computer and it started right up but I'm running Windows 7 HP. Any solutions?
My first guess is the DVD player is bad or it just doesn't like your CD.I'd try putting another dvd or cd drive in it and see if that works.
I knew somebody would comment on Vista not being an upgrade :biggrin.
I'm using Vista business 64 and it works fine for me,but I've turned off every bit of bloat crap that I could find.

Reactions: 66mustang
If his PC can't handle Windows 7 I would shy away from Vista for that reason among others. Vista is a hog just like 7 is compared to xp.