EXCLUSIVE: AT&T HomeZone First Look

Andrew - The users guide makes it seem like you transfer the files to the unit's hd. But, at least it does it via the network. (It also comes with a memory card reader you plug into one of the USB ports.)

Jim - I believe you don't have to pay for the 2nd tuner fee, if the unit is hooked up to a phone line. You would also have to pay for the DVR fee regardless if it was the HomeZone or any Dish branded DVR. So, the only additional fee over what you would pay directly with Dish is the $10 homezone fee.

But, you do get add'l functionality with the HomeZone unit compared to Dish brand DVR's. Plus, you won't have to pay the $200 "HD DVR upgrade" fee with the HomeZone.

As for the USB and a DVDRW, I doubt it will work. The USB port is for memory card readers and media transfer. Although, it probably wouldn't hurt to try it. I wonder if a keyboard would wrok in there? It's probably easier to enter text with a kb than with that weird remote.

Seems AT&T has seen the light on their IPTV! Overall its best to have your TV service seprate from your net connetion. IPTV is ok but it will always have more things that can cause issues with your tv service. One of those is bandwidth and it will be awhile before they can really do alot of HD over their broadband.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/73822

AT&T Realizing 25Mbps Not Enough
Lightspeed Delays, Overhaul Ahead?

Posted on 2006-04-24 19:05:35

The criticism of AT&T's "Project Lightspeed" network & IPTV upgrade has been that their current VDSL model provides only 25Mbps to the home, with the company allotting only 6Mbps of that to broadband. AT&T has previously stated they'll explore fiber to the home where it makes sense (read: developments), but that they also wouldn't rule out a more Verizon-Fios style rollout (fiber the last mile) if they could keep costs down.

Analysts are now predicting that AT&T will scale-back Project Lightspeed over the next 2-3 years while they figure out how to get more bandwidth to the end-user. "We believe AT&T will switch gears from VDSL2 around 25 megabits per second to something faster, possibly faster versions of VDSL2 running on shorter loops with potential for as much as 100 megabits per second," writes financial analyst Anton Wahlman.

The way to go would again be the HomeZone or should say the smart thing. This whay your net connection and tv are on seprate things. Instead of all on one thing like IPTV which overall IPTV has a long ways to go.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/73667

Since "Project Lightspeed" VDSL and IPTV upgrades will clearly take some time, AT&T hopes to tide many customers over with "Homezone". The service uses a 2Wire Media-Portal to integrate DSL-driven content with Echostar satellite television. AT&T today announced they have struck a deal with indie set-top video provider Akimbo to provide some content for the new service. According to the release, AT&T plans to offer content from Akimbo's library of 10,000 TV programs and movies.

Dish ought to work a contract with ATT to do the homezone and the video on demand too. THis is more logical then the Directv merger to me. Especially when it sounds like ATT needs Dish more than ever. THey would make a good partner for video on demand etc. And their att receivers look very smart and look like they work well with Dish. Two ota tuners and two sat tuners. I wouldn't mind having one except it has to do hd .

token said:
It is stupid you must be a NEW Dish customer, thru ATT, to get this. So the entire installed base of ATT/Dish customers have to cancel there service for 6 months to use this new service, or go without.

Makes no sense...none.

I'm guessing they are somewhat short on boxes and will have this limitation for 6 mos to 1 year to build up a box inventory and then permit changeouts.

Well, I received the wireless gateway that I had to have when I ordered Homezone on Sat. I started to wonder about the Homezone receiver, so I called AT&T and they said that the dish installer would bring it out. I know when the 622 receivers first came out, they were being sent direct to the customer and only later did the installers have them. Do you think I should be worried that the tech won't have it with him?

Installers are here now

Well, I have a slew of people over for the install. So far, three techs from Digital Dish and a rep from AT&T with another AT&T rep on the way. I guess I am the second customer in Ohio to get turned up so they are trying to get everyone trained. Not much to report on yet as they are only setting the pole right now. I will give an update a little later.

Ok, Homezone is now installed

Ok, I got my Homezone service installed today. I had the Digital Dish tech, a new tech he was training, their supervisor, a "quality" person from Digital Dish and a rep from AT&T all on-site for the install. I guess I am the second residential install in Ohio outside of the beta testers. Everything went fairly smooth except we initially could not get the switch test to pass. We found out that the receiver ships with "factory software" and it didn't understand the diplexer. Once that was removed, it updated to the latest software (takes about 30 min) and then we were able to add the diplexer back in and proceed with the setup. We were done about 4 hours later. I haven't really had time to play with it yet, so I will post my impressions later.

News on the HD version of Homezone

When the AT&T rep was out for the install, I asked him about the HD version. I guess they changed their mind and are going to use the 622 receiver with modified software for the HD version and the 2wire for the SD version. He expects availability to be around the beginning of next year. Now, I don't know how true it all is, we will have to wait and see.

jhaifley said:
I guess they changed their mind and are going to use the 622 receiver with modified software for the HD version and the 2wire for the SD version. He expects availability to be around the beginning of next year.
That would be sooooo sweet if this was the 622 upgrade that we should expect to see if Oct. that Scott is talking about. :up :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

First impression

Well, I have been pretty busy at work and haven't tried out too much yet, but here is what I have so far:

Was able to download a movie from Movielink with no issues. Haven't watched it yet, so I am not charged for it. I have 28 days from when I download it to start watching it. Once I press play, I get charged and have 24 hours to watch it. I can't speak about the quality as I haven't watched the movie.

The 30 sec fast forward on the remote is great but I think there is a bug with the regular fast forward button as it takes me right to the end of the program. Mabye that is normal, but if so I will miss the ability to fast forward at different intervals.

Copying my MP3 collection from my computer to the Homezone was easy and playing them even easier. Unfortunately I cannot access it remotely like the literature says you should. On the Yahoo Webremote, I have the TV tab, Movies tab and Pictures tab but no music tab. I am going to call them on this as I was looking forward to listining to my music at work.

I do wish it would allow some more customization. I would like to change some of the colors. Each section (Movies, TV, etc) has its own color scheme and some colors are pretty loud. Also, I would like to turn off the program descriptions in the guide to get more listings on the screen. I could hit the info button if I wanted a description.

I discovered the reason that they require a 2wire gateway and you can get around it. 1) If you are using wireless, the tech is only trained to get the default SSID and encryption key off the back of the router. A dish tech is not a network person and would not know how to handle something different. 2) You need to open port 55080 in and out of your firewall. If you have the 2wire, they do that for you remotely in 48 hours. Mine was ready before that. So, although they won't sell you homezone unless you tell them you have the gateway, if you have good network knowledge, you can get away with not having it.

I will let you know if I find anything else.....

Listening to streaming radio from the internet worked fine.

I'm concerned about what that tech said about no HD version of the 2Wire HomeZone, and using a modified 622 instead. I'm familiar with Dish software, and their horrible track record with it. I would prefer the 2Wire software, which has been tested now for about 2 years.

jhaifley - How's it going with the unit? Still working ok? Notice any bugs or glitches? (Did you figure out the FF problem? I can't imagine they'd release it that way.) How's the DVR interface? Easy to setup DVR recordings? How are the playback and live play functions? On-sceen program guide and menus?

strrlvr said:
I understand this is just speculation, but I can't imagine ATT doing this to existing DishNetwork customers. Why would E* allow such a thing to happen? Basically it would be tempting current E* customers to cancel their service and use someone else for 6 months. I know it is a 'ATT' thing, but with an improved product like this, I'd think they would have thought this one through. I understand not allowing a switch when there really isn't a benefit to me leaving DishNetwork and 'starting anew' with ATT DishNetwork, but in this case that would be absurd.

Let me put it his way, if ATT forbids those customers who currently have ATT DSL and DISHNETWORK service on separate bills from attaining Homezone, it would be a collosal failure! In my humble estimation anyways.. :eek:

Then again it is scary that this seems to be 100% ATT-related up to this point, with no information coming from E*. Maybe ATT is planning on sticking it to us.:confused:

its not a matter that att dosent want you now, its an issue of your address being available in the dishnetwork system side for them to submit the order, because in reality dishnetwork is sending the bill for your service to att and then att bills what they chose/agreeded wth dish.

GaryPen said:
You don't get a choice. HomeZone is being rolled out in areas that won't have U-verse. It was designed just for that purpose - To fill in the non-U-verse areas.

wrong again, do you realy think att would give the whole state of ohio a middle finger on u-verse tv?

homezone is ment to fill in the gap untill u-verse tv is deployed fully. and will remain around to service unfinanciacly practical areas for u-verse tv, such as rual areas.

so your half right saying that its for non-uverse areas, but well thats basically everyone thats not in san antonio, the home of sbc/att. i can attest that in columbus,oh i am seeing the deployment of the lightspeed equiptment moving along, slowly, but moving along. the next time your driving around look for a utility shed sized box painted in a creme color that has orange/black letters&numbers on it, w/ an sbc/ameritech/att,ect.... logo on it. if you see a smaller, same colored box nearby its possable that its lightspeed. if you need pictures i can provide.

jhaifley said:
The 30 sec fast forward on the remote is great but I think there is a bug with the regular fast forward button as it takes me right to the end of the program. Mabye that is normal, but if so I will miss the ability to fast forward at different intervals.

Copying my MP3 collection from my computer to the Homezone was easy and playing them even easier. Unfortunately I cannot access it remotely like the literature says you should. On the Yahoo Webremote, I have the TV tab, Movies tab and Pictures tab but no music tab. I am going to call them on this as I was looking forward to listining to my music at work.

e181e976.jpg

The first double arrow to the right (and left) of the yellow pause is the variable fast forward (or rewind), there's five different speeds available (IIRC). The double arrow with line (next out from the middle) is jump to the end (or beginning).

I also believe that the streaming music feature was removed, as to why, who knows...

RIRWIN1983 said:
wrong again, do you realy think att would give the whole state of ohio a middle finger on u-verse tv?

homezone is ment to fill in the gap untill u-verse tv is deployed fully. and will remain around to service unfinanciacly practical areas for u-verse tv, such as rual areas.

so your half right saying that its for non-uverse areas
I'm wrong. I'm half-right. Make up your mind.

Actually, I'm 100% right. HomeZone is designed for people who cannot get U-verse. I'll bet you a dollar that they will phase out HomeZone availability for addresses that become eligible for U-verse.

ranger714 said:
The first double arrow to the right (and left) of the yellow pause is the variable fast forward (or rewind), there's five different speeds available (IIRC). The double arrow with line (next out from the middle) is jump to the end (or beginning).

I also believe that the streaming music feature was removed, as to why, who knows...

Yup, you are right. The buttons on the ends are for track skipping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)