EXCLUSIVE: AT&T HomeZone First Look

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/75513

Homezone's Walled Garden
Users will only be able to surf AT&T partner content sites?

Posted 2006-06-19 10:18:01
Written by Karl Bode

The Wall Street Journal print edition today reports that AT&T's Homezone, a hybrid satellite receiver, DVR, and broadband driven media-center (using this 2wire box) will be launched next month. AT&T hopes to have the device available in 80% of its broadband market by year's end. This will be AT&T's "stopgap" measure as they deploy "Project Lightspeed."

"After Lightspeed is fully deployed and U-verse is fully deployed, there will be areas that are just not economic to offer fiber everywhere," recently stated AT&T's Homezone managing director Ken Tysell. "Homezone gives us a great product to make available to residential customers in all of the other areas, too. So we are going to coordinate the offer strategy and the rollout strategy between the two."

The service is currently being trialed by some 230 users, mostly AT&T employees. Coming in high-definition and standard-definition versions, the boxes will offer users media sharing, on-demand content (see our Akimbo report), remote DVR programming, and possibly place-shifting Slingbox functionality - if the legal issues can be worked out.

AT&T however won't allow users to browse to just any content, according to the Wall Street Journal:
"While the Homezone set top-box will be connected to the Internet, users won't be able to surf to any Web Site. They will only be able to download content from providers who have made deals with AT&T. In that sense, the service will be like the so-called "walled garden" that America Online tried to create with its Internet service in the 1990s before it was pressured to give its customers access to the open Internet."
Dave Burstein, who discusses this via his newsletter, says Verizon's CEO Ivan Seidenberg is a little more friendly to the idea of open content. "We want to get cable out of the house. Telephony and data are our moneymakers, not video, and we’re willing to discuss opening our network," the CEO recently told Burstein.

Poke said:
AT&T however won't allow users to browse to just any content, according to the Wall Street Journal:
"While the Homezone set top-box will be connected to the Internet, users won't be able to surf to any Web Site. They will only be able to download content from providers who have made deals with AT&T.

Ummmm... the box doesn't actually surf the web. it just downloads content from providers, along with allowing users to upload photos and music to the box.

saying that it's locked in a walled garden is like saying that a 622 is locked in a walled garden. apparently the wall street journal can't tell between an internet-equipped satellite receiver and WebTV....

Well I think one of their main points is that you are going to be limited on where you can go on the net. So really it will not be the same as having a regular net connection.

I hope this product will be available to fiber-to-the-home at&t internet customers who can't get DSL b/c of no copper lines. IPTV may take forever and it would be good to have something until it comes. Otherwise we'll be stuck in limbo for awhile with neither product available to us.

scott:

Any ideas what markets HomeZone's going to be launched in? I called SBC/AT&T today to inquire about getting the service in Houston.

They really haven't worked out the process yet, but there seem to be departments and contact numbers set up already. I have a call-back scheduled for later today to see if they're going to be able to get me the service.

The person I spoke to mentioned that some areas in California would be starting June 27.

mtwo said:
Any ideas what markets HomeZone's going to be launched in? I called SBC/AT&T today to inquire about getting the service in Houston.
mtwo, did you ever get that callback? What did you find out? I'm in Houston as well.
Thanks!

ChetK said:
mtwo, did you ever get that callback? What did you find out? I'm in Houston as well.
Thanks!

i got a call today. basically they're not listing houston as one of the cities that's going to have homezone offered as of right now. the person I spoke to was in the tech support/troubleshooting area of the service chain.

it seems like they really don't have everything set up to go yet. he did quote me the 6/27 start date several times, but couldn't give me specifics on where the service would be offered. He said "areas in California and Texas". he said that i could check http://att.sbc.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=3309 on Tuesday for more details.

i guess I threw them kind of off-guard by calling and asking questions, lol.

i was surprised that they did call me back in a timely fashion. hopefully they'll offer the service in Houston soon.

GaryPen said:
1. It is marketed by ATT for it's subscribers who have both ATT DSL and ATT/Dish .
- It is not marketed, sold, or leased by Dish directly.
- It is not available in non-ATT markets. (I suppose it's possible for other Dish-partnered broadband providers to offer it in the future.)
- If you are an ATT DSL customer, but have Dish directly from Dish, you may have to cancel and wait ATT's six month haitus period to enroll as a new ATT/Dish customer. (That is just speculation, based on their current guidelines.)

I understand this is just speculation, but I can't imagine ATT doing this to existing DishNetwork customers. Why would E* allow such a thing to happen? Basically it would be tempting current E* customers to cancel their service and use someone else for 6 months. I know it is a 'ATT' thing, but with an improved product like this, I'd think they would have thought this one through. I understand not allowing a switch when there really isn't a benefit to me leaving DishNetwork and 'starting anew' with ATT DishNetwork, but in this case that would be absurd.

Let me put it his way, if ATT forbids those customers who currently have ATT DSL and DISHNETWORK service on separate bills from attaining Homezone, it would be a collosal failure! In my humble estimation anyways.. :eek:

Then again it is scary that this seems to be 100% ATT-related up to this point, with no information coming from E*. Maybe ATT is planning on sticking it to us.:confused:

Scott Greczkowski said:
Real Proudct Roll out I believe is June 27th. However that may be just for Texas.

They had denver listings showing in the guide as thats where they were showing it off at. :)
anymore info on this? I am in san antonio,tx.

I just got a hold of a CSR in san antonio that knew what this was and I am setting up a order this friday.
and if anyone that lives in san antonio call this number to get hooked up:

1800-862-3628

Last edited:
lee78221 said:
I just got a hold of a CSR in san antonio that knew what this was and I am setting up up a order this friday.
and if anyone that lives in san antonio call this number to get hooked up:

1800-862-3628
Called the number but couldn't get the homezone service because its only for new customers to ATT|Dish not exisiting ones. Was told that for the inital launch of the service its for new customers. But they took my phone number down and am suposed to get a call back when it becomes available for existing customers. The CSR said the homezone service is $9.99 a month + $5.99 for DVR service added on to your monthly bill.

Cheddabob1185 said:
Called the number but couldn't get the homezone service because its only for new customers to ATT|Dish not exisiting ones. Was told that for the inital launch of the service its for new customers. But they took my phone number down and am suposed to get a call back when it becomes available for existing customers. The CSR said the homezone service is $9.99 a month + $5.99 for DVR service added on to your monthly bill.
I am a new sub there so everything it cool here.

Last edited:
called the number above.

couple of things - i wasn't eligible for the service because apparently Dish Network doesn't let AT&T install at apartment complexes - anyone ever heard of this before?

but, the service is offered in Houston for anyone else that was wondering.

Do you have to pay anything for the high-def box, or the install? I am currently a DirecTV subscriber, so I would be considered new (and I have DSL through AT&T).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)