EXCLUSIVE: AT&T HomeZone First Look

manhole said:
Do you have to pay anything for the high-def box, or the install? I am currently a DirecTV subscriber, so I would be considered new (and I have DSL through AT&T).
instill in free and the homezone is a high-def boxs(Sd too) and it is leased unit.

but you need to pay your first month of services before you get hooked up.

and you can only get one homezone per account.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, I can't get HomeZone because I'm a current E* and AT&T subscriber, even though it may be available in my area?

What if I cancel my E* account? I'm not under contract or anything and I already have AT&T DSL. I'm in Houston, so it's probably available to me.

ChetK said:
So let me get this straight, I can't get HomeZone because I'm a current E* and AT&T subscriber, even though it may be available in my area?

What if I cancel my E* account? I'm not under contract or anything and I already have AT&T DSL. I'm in Houston, so it's probably available to me.

I'm in Dallas and was told the same thing! It's absurd! I'm being punished by E* for being a longtime customer and I'm being punished by ATT for being a long time DSL customer? Does this make any business sense? Can someone more enlightened than me please explain the thought process on this?:mad:

I found this in the AT&T website:

"AT&T Homezone is available in the city of San Antonio, TX, the city of San Diego, CA, and the state of Ohio for new AT&T | DISH Network customers at this time. If you live in these specific locations, we invite you to call to order Homezone!

San Antonio, Texas: 866-711-8027
San Diego, California: 800-746-6555
Ohio: 800-223-4084

Homezone is coming soon to other areas! Please check back with us at att.com/homezone as we continue make the product available in new areas"

It looks like it's only for new customers.

mammothskier said:
What is $9.99 fee for? Is this some sort of a lease fee?

I was told that the $9.99 fee was just a homezone fee charge so I guess it is a lease fee, because when you sign up you don't have to pay for reciever or installation. Lee said in another post that they just made you pay for your first month over the phone. I still think that the whole new customer thing is dumb, when we first heard about the Homezone wasn't it said that its only available to current ATT DSL, and ATT Dish customers??

I've been an AT&T/Dish/DSL customer for over 2 years. I've been trying since February to upgrade my 522 to a 622 for HD, but they won't let me. (I could get a 211, but I don't want to lose the DVR).

The last time I spoke to a CSR, they claimed the reason they don't offer the 622 was that HomeZone would be available this summer and I could upgrade at that point. No mention was made about "new customers only". I'll try calling again soon to see what the CSR roulette offers this time.....

I doubt that would happen. I'm sure that local content would be collected by regional headends while national ones are collected by Super ones. This would make sense and reduce the redundancy you see with other cable tv MSOs. So in order to see seattle stations you would have to actually live in seattle. And that area is served by Qwest, so it would prove especially difficult to find an area served by at&t.

It was already posted earlier, but felt to need to refresh memories. The Ohio RSP is now installing the HomeZone (aka 1022) receivers. At this point, they are being shipped directly to the customers home. But will eventually be delivered. Our warehouses only have 1 at each location. Presumably for instructional purposes.

Other than the new equipment, it's just normal E* network programming packages that are being bundled and sold by AT&T.

Qwest does the same thing around here in Phoenix with D*...

So this is odd. I just called to order HomeZone in San Diego, and they are saying that they only have Standard Definition Programming on the Homezones. High Definition is coming, but they do not know when. The rep even checked with his manager. This seems kind of weird to me, but has anyone successfully ordered the Homezone with high-definition programming?

I just tried to order it and was told san diego only, and only for new subscribers. Also 9.99 per month extra, plus dvr fee, and you have to get a 2wire router for 79.99...she gave me the number to at&t dish network customer service who did not know about homezone.

Sounds like they don't have all the kinks worked out at all. I guess I'll wait and see what happens in STL. I was going to upgrade to 622, but I'll be waiting to see what happens with HomeZone. Hey can we shorten that to HoZo? And if we do, do I get royalties? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts