EXCLUSIVE: Dish Vip 622 & Vip 222 Specs

Shawn95GT said:
Maybe they could pass an ATSC signal over the coax vs having to fish in component cables / HDMI etc. It works great for OTA :).

They could even supply a cheap single channel ATSC tuner for the far end for 'HD Ready' TVs.

Shawn

That's a good idea. But I'm not sure if the ATSC modulation would be inexpensive to do that.

navychop said:
SummitAdvantageRetailer
re' post 16:
If the 622 has composite out, as in three RCA connectors, I can hook it up to a little transmitter I have. The receiver can be on another floor or even outside, connected to the second, analog, TV. No need to run cables- and the picture quality is pretty good. This is the setup I want, and am hoping the 622 supports.
I forget the name of this transmitter set up, but I've seen similar units still for sale. Glad I got mine some years back at a much better price.

I've had someone try that setup but didn't get good results with the picture breaking up easily. But I think a better solution exists today if you have a wireless network in your home. I'm not sure if they do video as well but there are these wireless transmitters that hook up at the source (in this our DISH receivers) and then it transmits via 802.11g to the receiver that is hooked up to either a TV, VCR, or other stereo receiver. If and when the wireless networking technology gets better, can you imagine if the Ethernet port can instead of being used for download, be used for uploading to other TV's in your home via your home network? That's another use, too. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
If I had to guess I would say that the ViP = Video over IP.

This would give dish TRUE video on demand and probably better VOD then the cable companies currently offer.

If this is true the future looks bright. :D

I wonder if the Vi part has anything to do with Intel's Viiv announcment. They have announced a relationship with Tivo on the Digital Home front maybe this was still in the works ?

Just a thought. :D

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20051130corp.htm

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Yes, since my house is extensively wired, the ethernet port to any TV would be best. But I have little faith.

BTW, come to think of it, I think my picture broke up every time a neighbor used their wireless phone. So the transmitter might not be so good. I can feel another wire run and fish tape festival now...

DishSatUser said:
So my Dishplayer 7200 finally bit the dust. Before I go to a 942 or another DVR solution, should I hold out for a couple of months on my 301 and upgrade to the ViP 622 when released?
What do you suspect it'll cost? I'll be out of luck if over $500.00, do you think there may be a lease deal?

You could slap a $40 hard drive in the old dishplayer and limp along until you are ready to switch, if HDD failure was the cause. The 7100/7200 were popular since you could swap hard drives easily.... they phone home and rebuild the software (I never did it, but there is a how to located here.....)

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/dishplayer.html

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Well, having a dual-room, dual HD-output, HD receiver would be great on paper but how many people out there have component, DVI, or HDMI cables already run in the house with amps along the way? I'd say a very, very, very, very small portion of a percentage. With that said, no installer will put in DVI, HDMI, or component cable to feed the 2nd HDTV without you paying an arm and a leg for that 2nd HDTV cable run. It's a lot less hassle to have 2 single-tuner HD receivers OR in the case of a 942/322/622, have the receiver feed HD to the HDTV in the same room as the receiver and feed SD to the other TV in your house, which is presumably SD. Not many homes have more than 1 HDTV in their house, if any.

I just use 2 CAT 5 cables to run run my HD and sound to my second HDTV. Works great. Same as Gefen system but I made my own, so HD output for TV2 would be great

DishSatUser said:
What do you suspect it'll cost? I'll be out of luck if over $500.00, do you think there may be a lease deal?
My guess is more than a 942 (ie. greater than $700)

Dish Network will have to figure out some sort of solution for the dual tuner receivers to get a second HD output to the second television.

I agree stargazer! There are going to be more and more people that will have more than 1 HD TV in the coming years. I know I will add my second very soon!

Stargazer said:
Dish Network will have to figure out some sort of solution for the dual tuner receivers to get a second HD output to the second television.

Heh, if only they went 8VSB over coax to the back of the tv's built in tuner (like there should be!) (iirc like the 5000 did)

Only if!

So...here's a thought. Are we, the 942 owners, better off swapping for a 942+, or waiting and swapping for a ViP622?

Is Dish likely to offer an upgrade path in this direction?!?

I have 3 HDTVs in my house. I have been repllacing the old ones as needed with HDTV. I have a 56" a 51" and a 32" and would like to get back with E after Jan any suggestions on what I should get so they all receive HD.

my question is why are they using lesser sounding numbers to designate something better?
i.e. 211 > 411 > 811, heck, 211 > 301
and 622 > 942 ??

Im gonna take a stab at figgurin out some type of code! (dish pro only!)

1xy-4xy = Basic receivers
5xy-9xy = Advanced Receivers

now for the XY, seems like the Y is for embeded smart card, and X is for the # of tuners (yeah, i know it dont fit the bill on the 510's but meh!)

Now, it sorta works, as your
111 = basic box + smartcard
301 = basic, no smartcard
311 = basic + smart card
211 = entry level HD (as its more commonplace) 1 tuner, and yes on embeded smart card, same w/ 411 etc
411 = hd + smartcard
501 = advanced box, no smart card
508 = advanced box, no smart card
510 = advanced box, no smart card
622 = your Advanced box, 2 tuners, with a embeded smart card (0 = no, 1+ = yes)
625/522(the 522 fits it) = your Advanced box, 2 tuners, with a embeded smart card (0 = no, 1+ = yes)
721 = 2 tuners, exception!
921 = 2 tuners, exception!
942 = tuners (exempt) embeded smart card
942+= tuners (exempt) embeded smart card

Now, it dont make much sense, or even work, but now im confused!\

211 = entry level HD (as its more commonplace) 1 tuner, and yes on embeded smart card, same w/ 411 etc
411 = hd + smartcard
(but really , those are one in the same, sorta)

622 = your Advanced box, to eventually replace the 942 id bet, 2 tuners, with a embeded smart card
942+= tuners (exempt) embeded smart card

But, you see, the 'new' mpeg 4 boxes, makes it alot easier on E to figure out what is going on , so it would only be 2 'new' mpeg 4 boxes to support, your SD/HD basic box, your SD DVR, and your HD DVR!

But Edit, it just seems like there trying to 'standardize' there model receiver #'s, though they could call them the A-F series, and Id be happy, just need HD!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)