EXCLUSIVE: Dish Vip 622 & Vip 222 Specs

If they activate that USB port without a good software/hardware encryption enabled, you can easily distribute the TV content without having expressed permission or copyrights. Or you can even sell the TV programming and make a profit which they don't want you to do. But with USB enabled, there are countless more ways to utilize that USB port for whatever purposes.

But then again, you can connect a video capture card on your PC and connect your satellite receiver to your pC to capture video. So I'm not sure why those companies wouldn't try to put in an injunction for video capture cards, but maybe a USB connection gives lossless transfer vs. lossy transfer with those capture cards.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
But then again, you can connect a video capture card on your PC and connect your satellite receiver to your pC to capture video. So I'm not sure why those companies wouldn't try to put in an injunction for video capture cards, but maybe a USB connection gives lossless transfer vs. lossy transfer with those capture cards.

Capturing works for SD television, but not HD. Or maybe I should say it works for 'analog' as opposed to 'digital'. You can capture video via an S-video connection between any STB and a computer, but that's analog and would not be comparable in quality to a bit-by-bit exact digital copy of a given show.

Granted, the MPAA would certainly love all analog capture/recording devices going back to the first VCR to vanish off the face of the earth, but they figure that cat is out of the bag. So they're dedicating their efforts towards fighting digital copying.

And I have no doubt they were behind the original 921/Firewire fiasco.

Speaking of which, anyone notice that cable boxes now offer archiving via their firewire ports? How come E* can't now do that?

The 5th generation OTA ATSC tuners have only been released in New LG tv's I think. I could be wrong though. I doubt that they will be in any of the new receivers.

CJPC said:
Im gonna take a stab at figgurin out some type of code! (dish pro only!)
1xy-4xy = Basic receivers
5xy-9xy = Advanced Receivers
now for the XY, seems like the Y is for embeded smart card, and X is for the # of tuners (yeah, i know it dont fit the bill on the 510's but meh!)
Now, it sorta works, as your
111 = basic box + smartcard
301 = basic, no smartcard
311 = basic + smart card
211 = entry level HD (as its more commonplace) 1 tuner, and yes on embeded smart card, same w/ 411 etc
411 = hd + smartcard
501 = advanced box, no smart card
508 = advanced box, no smart card
510 = advanced box, no smart card
622 = your Advanced box, 2 tuners, with a embeded smart card (0 = no, 1+ = yes)
625/522(the 522 fits it) = your Advanced box, 2 tuners, with a embeded smart card (0 = no, 1+ = yes)
721 = 2 tuners, exception!
921 = 2 tuners, exception!
942 = tuners (exempt) embeded smart card
942+= tuners (exempt) embeded smart card
Now, it dont make much sense, or even work, but now im confused!\
211 = entry level HD (as its more commonplace) 1 tuner, and yes on embeded smart card, same w/ 411 etc
411 = hd + smartcard
(but really , those are one in the same, sorta)
622 = your Advanced box, to eventually replace the 942 id bet, 2 tuners, with a embeded smart card
942+= tuners (exempt) embeded smart card
But, you see, the 'new' mpeg 4 boxes, makes it alot easier on E to figure out what is going on , so it would only be 2 'new' mpeg 4 boxes to support, your SD/HD basic box, your SD DVR, and your HD DVR!
But Edit, it just seems like there trying to 'standardize' there model receiver #'s, though they could call them the A-F series, and Id be happy, just need HD!!
I have 3 receivers, all of which bust your theory:
301 DOES have a smart card
508 DOES have a smart card
811 DOES NOT have a smart card (it's embedded)

Isn't there already a model 322?
If so it's only going to confuse people with a vip322 vs 322?
Does the vip322 have a ATSC/NTSC tuner that allows OTA to be mapped in the EPG or is it just pass thru as it is now with the 322?
Is this intended for HD channels from dish (ie. QPSK and 8PSK)

It's not that bizzarre because they're assuming that you're going to install this receiver to ONE HDTV and ONE SDTV. I think only the HD TiVo has 2 OTA tuners. The 942 also has only ONE OTA tuner. I guess you may want 2 OTA tuners to record one while watching another but DISH doesn't think that's necessary as none of their HD DVR's have that feature.
They are idiots then. During Primetime there are many great OTA programs broadcast at the same time. Unless they are counting on having HDLIL delivered by satellite implemented soon.

Conjecture on what the usb/ethernet ports will be used for:

Media streaming over your home lan to media players. If you read the specs on broadcom's latest chips (7401), they have built in "security" to encrypt the data. I would think this is an extension of how they encrypt the data when they record it to the HD on the 921/942, so that you cant rip it off without the key. They've already semi implimented this with the pocketdish. The next step would be to send the stream over a LAN. Of course you couldn't send it to any media center, only one with broadcom's chipset.

I think what they might try is if you have multiple dish receivers, say a 622 and a 211, you could playback recorded content from the 622 onto the 211.

Why give the 322 the ViP322 Model Name but not the other receivers such as the 625 and change it to 622? Does not make sense to me unless there are other changes other than the HD capability (perhaps ethernet port?)

Stargazer said:
Why give the 322 the ViP322 Model Name but not the other receivers such as the 625 and change it to 622? Does not make sense to me unless there are other changes other than the HD capability (perhaps ethernet port?)

It doesn't make much sense to me either. But it looks more like these receivers will become the de-facto standard receivers come 1-2 years time.

I don't think they have video capture with component (Y,Pr,Pb) or DVI/HDMI inputs just composite or s-video. However it could be done via firewire or USB except for the fact that the digital data is encrypted.

Well IIRC, not consumer stuff, there is high end gear that can do it, but its extremely expensive!

Addressing the confusion over HD tuners vs. HD outputs from a couple of pages back.

ANY of the satellite tuners in any resonably new receiver can grab HD. IMOP, it is deliberately NOT enabled on the 322, 522, etc. to avoid consumer confusion.

Remember, with a DVR, there is a disconnect between tuner and output. This is amply demonstrated by the 942. ANY of the tuners can receive and record HD or SD - that includes the ATSC OTA tuner. One of the outputs is HD, the other is SD.

EITHER output can view any of the already recorded material.
SD content on the HD output is automatically upconverted.
HD content on the SD output is automatically downconverted.

There IS a limitation that the SD output can't dal with live OTA. Dunno why.

Don't these DVRs just record the datastream in its native form, whatever it happens to be? It seems to me that the ViP 622 should be able to record longer when tuned to an MPEG-4 stream than when tuned to an MPEG-2 stream because of the greater compression. I remember the discussions about this when they started using stat mux a few years ago but don't recall what the conclusion was.

Scott Greczkowski said:

- Shared MTS Stereo Agile modulated output, sends TV1 & TV2 signals out on 1 RF port on 2 different channels. (This is cool!)
Note - No RF Output for TV1 (ie; ch3/4)

You can already do that with regular x22 and x25 receivers very very cheaply. All you need is chep 2 way spliter.

You guess it, if you use the spliter backward they becomes Combiners. I do that to a lot of my x22 installs. People usually want to have more then one Tv hook up to tv2 out, by do that you can provide them with 2 channel to other TV2 users don't have (remote) control.

dlsnyder said:
Don't these DVRs just record the datastream in its native form, whatever it happens to be? It seems to me that the ViP 622 should be able to record longer when tuned to an MPEG-4 stream than when tuned to an MPEG-2 stream because of the greater compression. I remember the discussions about this when they started using stat mux a few years ago but don't recall what the conclusion was.
Correct. Conversions happen on playback, NOT at record time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)