Exclusive: Scott Reviews the new Dish 322 & 522

That screen saver is PANTS. Man. Thanks for the warning. I'll stick with my 301.

Since I am a Replay user too, fancy guides and such don't do anything for me. All I want is to put channel numbers in and get A/V out... period.

How do I go about adding in a 2nd UHF remote to control TV1? I found the dish network remote (2 UHF)
I will get it if I can add the UHF functionality to TV1

Hi, this is a rather old thread, but yes you actually can control TV1 with a UHF remote as well, there's info on here somewhere I'm sure...

Do a search for that thread...I just used those directions this past weekend on my 322...worked beautifully!

Pictures of what, the 322 and 522? Since they're out in wide numbers now, there are pictures all over the place.

Gee, I just got the 522 and like it but, in coming from D* thought, this was just a typical Dish receiver and stand features. I liked the stereo agile transmitter for the 2nds, and the combo IR/.UHF controls. My wife who could not tune D* with its remotes is fine with this (except "why dio you want to rewind and play that over again?") and the other remotes for the 811 and 311. Especially how easy it is to turn the stuff on and off without the use of 4 buttons in the right order. One-two and change channels.

I believe this is the thread that had the first pictures. Falcon either did a search or was directed here from the EKB or elsewhere because of the many screenshots. If you go back to page 1 you see they are now gone.

Scott, can you please restore the pictures or maybe make the review a separate web page?

Wish I still had them to share, this thread was from our old system which went offline more then a year ago. :(

I am sure some 322 / 522 owner can share some screen shots though. :)

one receiver multiple tvs

Hello,

I got dish network 2 weeks ago, I decided to try the dvr instead of using my tivo. I got one 522 and one 322, I think. I have decided to do away with the dvr.. cause its lacking a lot of features that my tivo has.

I have 4 tvs... I had wanted to change out the dvr for another receiver but dish network wants another $49 to setup the other receiver. I don't think so.

So, I will return the dvr... I would like to then setup all 4 tvs on one receiver.

Can I divide a tuner for 2 tvs? its just me and my husband.. we never have all 4 tvs on at the same time.

I remember that before with direct tv.. if you ran a cable from the receiver to a splitter.. you could see the same thing on another tv. That works for me.

I can live with that. But how do I do it? I realize that when they installed the dish, they used the same cable system my house has.

It seems the ways the cables were run the room in the front of the house feeds the second room.

then in the family room, we have a splitter feeding the bedroom.

I read the manual for the receiver.. I am a systems person and I am technical.. but I am a little confused with the attenuators and the biplexors..

I don't know where to start.

I have to put the receiver in the family room cause that is where I
my have my tivo... and it needs IR.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Welcome aboard! :)

My first question is where you got your receivers? Local retailer, fufillment company, or directly from E*. If the first one, please check to see if you're under contract with them. Even if you're not, please know that you will be hitting him in the wallet for a LOT by dropping that receiver.

Second, you DO understand that the video quality of a SA TiVo will NEVER be as good as the 522. And, now that the 522 has NBR, there's very little that the TiVo has over it. Would you mind telling us just what is making you switch?

Finally, we probably need a bit more knowledge of your setup before we can give you intelligent advice. What cables go where? How are the TV1's setup (coax or RCA - makes a big difference in quality)? What "little boxes are there", and where?

connecting receiver thru out the house

Hello,

thanks for your response.

First, I got everything from dish network on one of the specials they had just 2 weeks ago. I did not get the contract.

When I placed the order originally I decided to get two regular 322 receivers
but when the guy was here.. I decided to try out their dvr.. but I didn't know
it would be a hassle to change it later.

I don't care about the quality of the video...
I just care about getting my tv shows recorded cause I go to school during the week. I don;t like the 522 dvr's interface at all.. it is lacking so many features I like in tivo. You asked how was I connecting the tivo or dish to the tv? the family room.. which is the main tv has no tuner, I use rca cables to plug the receiver to the tv.

I have checked everything but the attick.
I checked the box outside the house this morning. there cables from the dish are plugged in to the cables there.. no splitter or anything.

I just switched the 322, and put it were the 522 is sitting right now.
The 522 is working fine in the spare bedroom now.

The 322 receiver is in the family room and it feeds the master bedroom.
I would like it to feed the other rooms to on both tuners.

I thought I could share the tuner signals.. I have read the manual several times; I have tried doing what they say but it doesn;t work.

In the family room:

The cable comes from the wall, and then it has a blue DPD2 (diplexer?)plugged in to it. At the top, it says in/out that is where the house cable is plugged in to it, and at the bottom it says uhf/sat . the rg6 cable plugged in to the uhf thing is connected to the tv connector in the back of the receiver. the rg cable that is comming from the sat connection is now going to another "splitter" that is going to the sat 1 and sat 2 connections on the box.

the spare bedroom.. in the front of the house currently has the 522 now.

the cables are comming from the wall to a splitter that says sat1 and sat 2
and then there is another cable that is plugged in to second tv input on box.

I don't k now if the satellite guy did anything in the attick, if he put in a switch or something like that.. but I tried to connect the cables inthe wall to the 3rd tv.. to see if I got a signal, I put tv on channel 27 air and nothing.

I have searched the forum for instructions.. and I think I have read all messages but I am very confused... perhaps there should be a message posted for newbies on what to do, since everyone is always asking the same thing... they have those kinds of instructions on the tivo forums... just a suggestion.

So, how can I use my home wiring for this? I read something to use a backwards splitter.. I tried.. I don't know if I did it wrong.. or if I just don't understand... I would appreciate any suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)