Existing Dish Network Customer looking to upgrade

bstafford

Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Maine
So what is the best to do this:

I have one receiver for one SD TV. I want to upgrade to two rooms (one HD and the other HD or SD whichever is the better deal).

What is the best, most cost effective way to do this? I'm willing to go with Free HD for Life Plan but my questions are mostly related to upgrading equipment.

Thanks!

dishnit up

So what is the best to do this:

I have one receiver for one SD TV. I want to upgrade to two rooms (one HD and the other HD or SD whichever is the better deal).

What is the best, most cost effective way to do this? I'm willing to go with Free HD for Life Plan but my questions are mostly related to upgrading equipment.

Thanks!

Time to dishnitup Or at least I that is what it's called. you can get a 722 or 722k For 95 installed w/ a 2 yr commitment. If you have The DHPP (protection plan) it is 15. That can be done once per yr. They will nedd to also replace the dish to be able to get all 3 sats needed for HD. You can then have HD on 1 tv & Sd coax cable run to the 2nd tv. I think running the coasx to 2nd tv will cost extra unless there is one going there already.

Time to dishnitup Or at least I that is what it's called. you can get a 722 or 722k For 95 installed w/ a 2 yr commitment. If you have The DHPP (protection plan) it is 15. That can be done once per yr. They will nedd to also replace the dish to be able to get all 3 sats needed for HD. You can then have HD on 1 tv & Sd coax cable run to the 2nd tv. I think running the coasx to 2nd tv will cost extra unless there is one going there already.

I wouldn't necessarily quote prices as they vary from sub to sub. The best solution for what he proposed would be the 722/722k receiver however he may end up paying more or less with or without a 2 year commitment.

$95 to upgrade equipment? If I jump to DTV I would assume I'd get it all done for free like when I was a new customer to Dish Network.

722k Dishin it up promo, you can talk them into letting you get it for free installed too. I highly suggest you wait till the evening to call also so you don't have your job land on a Tech already slammed with work in the middle of the hot day. Dish loves to screw techs with this same day junk when its hard for guys to plan around it.

I figured if I could get all I want from DTV (HD, 2 TV hook ups) for free then Dish would do the same to keep me as a customer. I don't want to be a jerk about it but really what choice do I (or Dish for that matter) have?

It's going to depend upon a number of factors but the most logical of them will be as follows:

1) How long have you been a customer?
2) What is your current programming package?
3) What is your payment history like?

I'd give myself as an example but I really don't have much of an upgrade path other than going from a 722k to a 922. And from what I've read on the unit and the times I've used it in showroom demos I'm not terribly interested. It's not a bad receiver but it doesn't have any features that I need right now over my 722k and I'd miss the ability to archive to an external HDD. But I'm rambling so I'll stop that.

In any case here's one example for you. Customer A has been a customer for 5 years, subscribes to the America's Top 250 with HD & Platinum HD and also subscribes to Cinemax & Starz and also views the occasional PPV. Customer A also pays via autopay and has had all payments go through on time as scheduled. Customer B has been a customer for 7 years, subscribes to the America's Top 200 with no extra packages, customer B pays their bills by mailing in a check payment. They've been late once or twice causing a late fee but no disconnect in service. Which do you think Dish is more likely to give a better upgrade offer to?

Dish is like any other service provider. They're typically going to give better offers to customers that have made them more money over time and make payments on time than those that they do not make as much money off of. Now not knowing what your current situation is with the above 3 questions I can't even venture a guess as to how much Dish will charge you. For all I know you're a 4 year customer that subscribes to the America's Everything Package and pays via autopayment. But think about it logically, in order for Dish to give it to you for free you have to had made them a decent amount of money. Because at the bare minimum they're looking at installing a dual tuner HD DVR (not a super cheap piece of equipment) along with paying a technician to come out to install a new satellite dish since I'm guessing your current one doesn't pick up the necessary satellites for HD programming.

I've been with Dish for 10 years with a great (not perfect) payment history, online. I "only" have the top 120+ with local sports. The kicker for me is that if I was new to Dish I could get service installed in 4 rooms for free AND pay only $25-$30 a month for a year. I'm not in a contract, could I cancel my Dish and then just sign back up?

Last edited:
sure

I'm not in a contract, could I cancel my Dish and then just sign back up?

For sure you could of course it won't help though. Less see now new fake ID, new fake SS#, now maybe that would work. BTW the fake SS# could get you sent to jail but other than those minor details. Stop trying to screw the system.

For sure you could of course it won't help though. Less see now new fake ID, new fake SS#, now maybe that would work. BTW the fake SS# could get you sent to jail but other than those minor details. Stop trying to screw the system.

Geez, who's trying to screw the system? Fake SS# are illegal? I had no idea. :rolleyes: I'm just trying to get the best deal. Guess I'll just jump ship to DTV, they can have my money.

Geez, who's trying to screw the system? Fake SS# are illegal? I had no idea. :rolleyes: I'm just trying to get the best deal. Guess I'll just jump ship to DTV, they can have my money.

Have you even called to find out what Dish will do for you (you've not indicated as such) or are you just pounding your chest?

U the one

Your the one talking about dropping then trying to sign up as a new customer. That's trying to screw E* for your on purposes.

From strictly a dollars and cents standpoint, the best upgrade path is to switch providers every couple of years. But it is a hassle and there are HD channel differences as well as equipment differences.

I seriously doubt you'll get as good a financial deal from Dish as Direct will offer you. So you need to balance dollars against other factors.

IMHO. If you have been satisfied with E* for the last 10 years, I would tell the CSR that you are exploring upgrade options to your existing equipment. E* and D* are working harder to reduce the churn rate in their organization. If you are not satisfied with their terms and conditions, then look for other options like cable or D*. Never hurts to ask for the best deal.

I am a present DISH subscriber who has a 625 receiver. I too wished to upgrade to HD programing and was actually considering it before the HD Free for Life promotion. When I made the call last week to DISH to upgrade, I was informed that I would need to pay a $100 upgrade fee in addition to tech fees, etc. to change to HD DVR receiver and dish. This was despite the fact that I was told by a CSR prior to the HD Free for Life promotion that "Good news! You do not have to pay an upgrade fee." Of course, there is no record in my account record that anyone said this. I spoke to various CSRs and even the Customer Loyalty Desk to no avail. It seems that DISH is perfectly satisfied to allow me to switch to the competition rather than waive the $100 and I let them know that they were making it very difficult to remain with DISH. I have been with DISH for 4 1/2 years with AT200 programming. I guess that's not enough. Coincidently, if I switch, my costs will be less for the set-up that I have although I would rather stay but not pay an upgrade fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)