Existing Voom Satellite

geomark

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
I am thinking of getting DishNetwork. I had Voom for about six months when they went out of business and still have their satellite on the roof. Can I use this existing satellite when I switch to DishNetwork or will they have to install their own??

You will need another dish on your house to look at 110 and 119 satellites which are in the southwest sky your current dish is looking at 61.5 to the southeast they mabe able to use one dish a Dish 1000 which also looks at 129 if your locals come off of one those satellites. The best thing to do is to talk to your local retailer or tell us what city you live in and maybe someone here knows.

I believe if you can get a dish500 with legacy series LNB then you can switch it into your existing dish at 61.5. Else you'll need to change the present LNB to dishpro series. Not sure if there are mounting issues or not (for example dish has a D shaped control arm not sure what the Voom's dish has). You can also go with the dish1000 instead and not use your existing dish.

I don't know where your locals are but 110 is 157 degrees south and 119 is 172 degrees south at an elevation of 48 degrees your 61.5 that you have now is looking east at 99 degrees at an elevation of 20 I think you might be on 110 becuase the last time I was in vegas i don't remember seeing any superdishes. If I wrong I am sure I will be corrected and maybe I'll see you when I am in Vegas in Dec 2-5 and Jan 6-8. If your a Dealer let me know will play cards I'll be at the Rio.

When I first switched over to Dish Network, I tried to keep the VOOM dish. Believe me; you will save yourself a lot of headache if you switch out the VOOM dish and LNB from the very start!!!! VOOM's hardware doesn't play well with others.

Spike said:
When I first switched over to Dish Network, I tried to keep the VOOM dish. Believe me; you will save yourself a lot of headache if you switch out the VOOM dish and LNB from the very start!!!! VOOM's hardware doesn't play well with others.
To be more accurate, V* hardware doesn't play well with DishPro gear.

Other than that, it works fine, but when switching to Dish, just let the installer do his thing. Unfortunately, it'll cost more. HOWEVER, search out a lcal retailer that won't rake you over the coals for a Dish1000 upgrade.

We charge $25 for giving a NEW customer a D1000 instead of a D500. Yeah, that's right, $25. That's a fair price considering the price difference to the dealer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)