Exoplorer 8300HD Bricked!

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
Yesterday, the wifey reported that the DVR would suddenly turn off and flash BOOT across the box led display. It would then turn completely off and reboot. It was ok to watch for a bit. It did this every hour or so and got progressively worse until it was doing it every 10-15 minutes. When I got home from work, I called Comcast and they tried sending a signal but that seemed to make it worse, it won't even reboot now, it just keeps resetting and flashing a screen on the tc that looks like a computer chip.

Needless to say, It must be a bad HDD so Comcast is sending a tech out to replace the unit. They said that all these units are refurb's and the ones like mine with HDMI are really scarce! They can't even come out until Friday (tomorrow) morning. Wifey's mad because no TV for a full day but hey, she's the one that wanted to save money and switch from DISH! :rant: LOL

Xbox has the red ring of death...I'll coin the term, BOOT of death for the 8300HD! :D

Yesterday, the wifey reported that the DVR would suddenly turn off and flash BOOT across the box led display. It would then turn completely off and reboot. It was ok to watch for a bit. It did this every hour or so and got progressively worse until it was doing it every 10-15 minutes. When I got home from work, I called Comcast and they tried sending a signal but that seemed to make it worse, it won't even reboot now, it just keeps resetting and flashing a screen on the tc that looks like a computer chip.

Needless to say, It must be a bad HDD so Comcast is sending a tech out to replace the unit. They said that all these units are refurb's and the ones like mine with HDMI are really scarce! They can't even come out until Friday (tomorrow) morning. Wifey's mad because no TV for a full day but hey, she's the one that wanted to save money and switch from DISH! :rant: LOL

Xbox has the red ring of death...I'll coin the term, BOOT of death for the 8300HD! :D

It could have been worse, and happened on Saturday morning during the long holiday weekend. Anyways, doesn't Comcast allow you to drop your box off yourself and swap it out, like TWC does?

I feel for you. I try to avoid the service calls and go to the office whenever possible.

Talk to your wife. This might be the excuse you need to go back to DISH.

I feel for you. I try to avoid the service calls and go to the office whenever possible.

Talk to your wife. This might be the excuse you need to go back to DISH.

Going back to Dish isn't the answer for everyone, especially when you want to see your favorites teams in HD. I.E. Buffalo Sabres (MSG-HD - never gonna see it on Dish), Yankees (YES Network - never gonna see it on Dish, and MLB-Net (Never gonna see it on Dish).

The problem with 8300 HD-DRV is that; many of us were spoiled with the 722 etc, and you can't really compare a vw bug to a mercedes. They both get you there, but there is so many more comfort features in the mercedes.

The important thing is to get the programing that you want. Some of the HD channels just aren't gonna be available to the DBS providers; so you are forced to go back to TWC or Comcast to get them, (plus the fact TWC made me a offer of Double Play I couldn't refuse, with a two year price fix and no committment on my part, was the clincher).

For me, I will probably eventually buy a HD TIVO just to have many of the old features of 722.

Going back to Dish isn't the answer for everyone, especially when you want to see your favorites teams in HD. I.E. Buffalo Sabres (MSG-HD - never gonna see it on Dish), Yankees (YES Network - never gonna see it on Dish, and MLB-Net (Never gonna see it on Dish).

The problem with 8300 HD-DRV is that; many of us were spoiled with the 722 etc, and you can't really compare a vw bug to a mercedes. They both get you there, but there is so many more comfort features in the mercedes.

The important thing is to get the programing that you want. Some of the HD channels just aren't gonna be available to the DBS providers; so you are forced to go back to TWC or Comcast to get them, (plus the fact TWC made me a offer of Double Play I couldn't refuse, with a two year price fix and no committment on my part, was the clincher).

For me, I will probably eventually buy a HD TIVO just to have many of the old features of 722.

Agree...I loved DISH, but I just couldn't pass the Triple Play offer up, and I get more channels to boot (HD & Digital). I just wish COmcast would listen to customers and give us the features we want!

I did think about the office swap, but I work from 6am to 6pm and wife is busy today also. Tomorrow will have to suffice although, we will miss the Steeler game in HD (Still can watch on the other SD tv's)

Agreed. I'm on Comcast as well. However, prices went up $60/mo after the promotion ran out. I did call and got the Triple Play extended, but it probably won't happen again. Therefore this December I may very well be looking for alternatives.

We all have cells and the Verizon bill is $180/mo for 4 lines. Why am I carrying a landline?

Internet is vital, so keep that.

My cable portion is about as high as DISH, especially after the promotion expires again. The biggest issue for me is trees to the South. I have a clear view to the SE though, so I think I can hit Eastern Arc. I would have to "move" to Chicago as the Rockford locals are on 129.

Channel mix is kind of a wash. Each has some HD the other doesn't. I'd miss the VoD, but not the garbage DVR.

We all have cells and the Verizon bill is $180/mo for 4 lines. Why am I carrying a landline?

Internet is vital, so keep that.

Channel mix is kind of a wash. Each has some HD the other doesn't. I'd miss the VoD, but not the garbage DVR.

I dropped my landline over 2 years ago. VOD is great, especially after comparing to the supposed VOD on E*. Another feature I am enjoying with TWC, is their startover feature, where you can go back to the beginning of a show even though you didn't dvr it or were even on that channel previously.

HD PQ is very surprisingly on par and in some cases even better than Dish, especially when I am watching the Yankees in HD, something that will never happen on Dish unless they are on Fox or ESPN.

New box is in! I'm back to normal for now...

Missed the Steeler game in HD lastnight, had to watch in SD.

I hope this box holds up better than the last one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts