Expanding current televisions

Rich McGirr

Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Hi all,

We currently have Dish with a 6000u for HD and a JVC D3, both have dedicated runs to the dish.

I want to hook up an additional two televisions hopefully using the feed that goes to the 6000u.

How is this done (please be as specific as possible, noob)?

I was hoping to be able to use one receiver (like the 522).

All questions and comments are greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Welcome aboard, Rich!

Do you mean you want to hook up TVs to the 6000, or replace the 6000 with new receivers? BTW, I've never heard of a "JVC D3" - is that a real old box?

Anyway, if it's a receiver replacement, we need a LOT more information about your dish, LNBF and switch configurations. It may be enough to go to the Point Dish and Check Switch screens and post everything it says about your equipment.

Thanks.

I don't want to replace anything, just add-on (we're doing an addition, 1 tv and the wife wants dish in the basement, 1 more tv). Yes the JVC is ancient...about 8 years old.

It states on the screen under setup (the JVC):
Model Number: 2700/3700/2800
It also says that it has a Dish500 card ready: DNASP102Rev103

So I have a Dish 500 and as there are only two coax runs I am assuming it has dual LNBF's....I see no switch (although the check switch menu say "500 Twin"). I receive sats 110 and 119 ("even" and "odd" for both).

What else do you need to know?

Thanks for the response.

I think what rich wants to do is use the existing run from the dish and split it off from the 6000u.

Can't be done with just a splitter at the back of the 6000.

The 522 needs 2 lead-ins from the dish itself. Either directly or through a DP-34. There again lies another problem. You have to make sure you have the DishPro LNB's too if you are goint to use a DP switch.

The JVC could be any one of a half dozen different older units. The 2700, 2800, 3000, 3700, 3900, 4000 etc all had the DV3 on the front. Look on the back for the model #.

We need more info on the equipment you currently have.

Answered while I was typing.. :)

If you go with a 522 PVR or a 322 you will need a DP34 switch. It takes 2 or 3 input SATS and splits it into 4 outputs. That will give you enough to have 3 locations. 6000u, & 522 TV1 and 522 TV2.

Mark_AR: Why wouldn't a Legacy Quad do the job for him?

Rich: To help bring you up to speed, Legacy and DishPro are two different LNB technologies. With receivers that old, you are running Legacy. Nothing wrong with it.

Your dish 500 has a unit on it known as a Twin. This has 2 LNBFs, 2 outputs, and a built-in switch to let each receiver get what it wants. A Legacy Quad is the same - except it has 4 outputs (and a corresponding built-in switch).

EACH tuner (usually one per box, but x2x units have 2) needs it's own satellite feed, so I believe the Legacy Quad will do what you want - give you 2 more satellite feeds for 2 more tuners.

Rich McGirr said:
Hi all,

We currently have Dish with a 6000u for HD and a JVC D3, both have dedicated runs to the dish.

I want to hook up an additional two televisions hopefully using the feed that goes to the 6000u.

How is this done (please be as specific as possible, noob)?

I was hoping to be able to use one receiver (like the 522).

All questions and comments are greatly appreciated.

TIA.

I am not sure if the 6000 has an RF coax ouput or not, if my memory is correct it does not. If not the easiest way to connect a 6000 to a 1st remote TV is to simply get a channel 3/4 modulator from RS, CC, BB or any consumer electronics store and connect the 6000's 2nd set of A/V jacks to the modulator and then run a coax (RG6 is best) from modulator to 2nd TV. Your JVC satellite receiver should have a channel 3/4 modulator built in with RF out, simply run coax directly from JVC Satellite receiver to 2nd remote TV.

Another and more flexible way would be to get a better cable/uhf modulator to connect to your 6000 and run coax from the modulator to a 2 or 3 way splitter (depending on if you want to include an ot antenna in the mix or not), run another coax from JVC RF output to the same splitter combiner, then run coax to a channel 3 or 4 signal combiner ( if an ot antenna is in the mix, if not run directly to splitter or amp) and then run a cable to preferably a distribution amp (4 way splitter will work but amp is best) also connect both satellite receivers directly to local TV's via S-Video (component on 6000) and or A/V jacks. By doing this you can simply access both satellite receivers from all 4 TV's by simply selecting channel 3 or 4 for the JVC or a pre-selected cable or uhf channel (channel 27 for example), or select via video or auxiliary button on to select 6000 on your HDTV or the JVC on its local TV.

Thanks a lot guys.

Chris,

That's a no go the JVC is on the second floor and I have no desire nor want to run cable through the walls.

Mark,

Do I need 2 or 3 input coax lines from the dish...or will one work and then split that signal to the other three (or two if 522) receivers (one of which being either the JVC or the 6000u feed)?Not sure if I want to split the signal to the 6000u as I have the HD package and that may(???) degrade the pic quality (going to a plasma :)).

Simple,

So I would need a legacy quad (understand that) and run four different sets of coax? All coax runs now are on the outside of the house? That will involve WAF! FWIW, she thinks our antennas are butt ugly.

All should I call Dish and ask for a "customer retention" upgrade? It worked for the 6000u special that several people got in on last year.

Thanks for the replies.

You will need FOUR coax lines from the dish. One for each tuner. Remember, the 522 has TWO tuners. You can NOT split a satellite feed (there are exceptions that do not apply here).

If you want satellite, you gotta run wire. What can I say?

Hmmmm,

well thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll be calling dish tomorrow to see if I can get an upgrade....maybe use the fact that the original dish was never grounded correctly to begin with (its attached to its own ground rod located on the opposite side of the house from the main ground with no wire connecting the two, I believe that is against NEC)?

If not I'll, more than likely, purchase a legacy quad LNB (just replace the LNB's that are on there now, right?) and run some rg6 and purchase two more receivers.

Thanks for helping a noob.

You're not going to get anywhere on that grounding bit - it's been there too long. And, while some may argue the point, the separate ground rod is not a problem - this is all low-voltage equipment.

And yes, your Twin comes out, jam 2 more RG-6's down the arms, attach the Quad. If you're careful, and the old & new happen to be consistent, you might not even have to re-peak the dish.

However, you MIGHT be able to get some kind of upgrade that will get you a Quad and installation.

SimpleSimon said:
Mark_AR: Why wouldn't a Legacy Quad do the job for him?

Never thought about that. I was thinking more along the lines of future expansion too. Sooner or later, CBS-HD on 61.5 or possibly daisy-chaining DP-34 to more TV's later on.

But you are right. The quad would be the cheapest, best solution now.

Well, it would appear that Dish, in fact, does have a current promotion going on until October 31, 2004. They will install an additional two receivers (leased for $5 per each per month) and lines, etc. for $50. These are the 311 receivers (they also are offering the 510 and 811).

Think that's the way to go as a quad LNB is going to run $50 as is and I have no hassle of climbing on the roof, or running the line nor the cost of purchasing receivers.

Thanks for your help guys.

Rich McGirr said:
Thanks a lot guys.

Chris,

That's a no go the JVC is on the second floor and I have no desire nor want to run cable through the walls.

Their is the wireless option for that JVC. RS and others sell devices that you can connect 1 set of A/V cables of your JVC to a transmitter that will send a signal wirelessly down to a receiver that can be connected either by A/V or RF to a 2nd TV and they send your remote signals that way too so you can also control the JVC from your remote TV. The only draw back is that you may get interference at times from microwaves, cordless phones and wireless computer networks and these devices are not cheap they topically run about $100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)