Experience with new 36" Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ajm2r

Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
I am a newbie to satellite TV and would appreciate any help I can get from the knowledgeable members here. I can't wait any longer to dump Cablevision and join the happy community of D* subscribers.

1) I am in central NJ and would like to subscribe to the Preferred Choice w/ locals package along with the South asian Package. The preferred choice w/ locals package is advertised in the local newspaper to include 88 channels for $29.99/mo provided you also get the south asian package for $29.99/mo. I have not been able to find any channel list for the Preferred Choice package on the D* or VE sites. Does anyone know what's included ?

2) The total system I would like to get includes a dish & a R10-D10 combo. I suspect that I am gonna need a 36" dish which again is not advertised anywhere on the D* or VE sites. Are they offering a similar deal on this system as the ones I see for $69.99 on VE site for 18" or 18x20 dish with R10-D10 combo ?

3) Does anyone have any experience using this 36" dish ? How does PQ w/ this dish (particularly for international channels) compare to the digital PQ of american channels received using more conventional dish ?

4) Is roof mount possible w/ this 36" dish or is a pole mount necessary ? If the latter, then I presume it will not be included as free std installation. However, I am a pretty good handyman and don't mind getting my hands dirty. Can I set up a pole in 24" deep concrete before the installer shows up ?

5) There is currently RG59 cable running from outside the house to the two rooms (< 100 ft run in both cases) where R10 & D10 will reside, respectively. Will I need RG6 instead ? If yes, then would the installer run three cables (two to R10 & one to D10) as part of std installation ? I do not believe that any wall fishing will be necessary.

6) Does the 36" dish come ready with whatever switch it's gonna need ? Also, if I am interested in splitting the output of R10 to 3 different TVs (OK if they all display same channel at any given time), will I need any special switch ?

7) Finally, lot of members here seem to have had good experience buying their system from VE. I guess I'll follow in their footsteps. Do I get system from VE and then contact D* separately to subscribe to the programming or can VE take care of both ?

I am sorry that I am asking so many questions all at once but I trust the fellow forum members here more than I trust those D* CSRs answering the 1-800 calls.

Thank you in advance.

1) I have not seen the actual list for Preferred Choice, either. If you call, sometimes they can email information like that.

2) Check with VE (forum Gold Sponsor), Solid Signal, or other reliable and knowledgeable D* retailer.

3) PQ for cricket matches slightly better than normal D* programming; I think there is less compression on this sat right now. I hear from others that the matches are much better than E*'s broadcasts.

4) Mine is mounted on my roof. Someone on one of these forums suggested roof mount is not recommended, due to wind. Mine is in a roof valley, on a side that typically does not bear the brunt of the wind. Not sure about pole mount.

5) RG59 will probably work, but if you are getting it installed, the installer will likely have to replace it to meet D*'s install requirements.

6) If you are buying through an official D* retailer, they should take care of including and installing the appropriate switch. If you are ordering multiple receivers, they should cover you to meet your viewing needs at that time. They will likely not give you the next switch up the line for receivers you MIGHT add later.

7) I have not bought through them, but through postings and PM's on this board and others, have found them to be quite knowledgeable and helpful.

Good luck.

1) From VE's website, under Vietnamese programming, but should apply for South Asian, as well:
The following channels are included in the DIRECTV®® PREFERRED CHOICE package:
Local Channels (if available), NASA TV, ABC Family Channel, National Geographic Channel, America’s Store, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite (East), A&E Nickelodeon (West), BBC America, PSB YOU, BYU TV, QVC, Cartoon Network, RFD-TV, Church Channel, SCI FI Channel, CNBC, Shop at Home, CNBC, World Shop, NBC, CNN, Spike TV, Comedy Central, TBS, Court TV, The Learning Channel (TLC), C-SPAN, TNT, C-SPAN2, Travel Channel, Daystar, Trinity Broadcasting Network, (TBN),
DIRECTV® BASICS, TV Land, DIRECTV® CHANNEL™, USA Network, DIRECTV®® FREEVIEW® EVENTS, VH1, Discovery Channel, The Weather Channel, Disney Channel (East), Word Network, Disney Channel (West), E! Entertainment Television, ESPN, ESPN2, EWTN, FitTV, Food Network, Fox Movie Channel, Headline News,
The History Channel, Home & Garden Television, Home Shopping Network (HSN), Lifetime, Link TV, MTV, Music Choice (30 channels)

I am wondering why do you need 36" dish, and why a normal dish will not work for South Asian package.

Can i not just subscribe to HindiDirect as advertised on D*.. for 29.99? Do I need to add some other package?

Thanks, ramcm7 for your detailed reply. Nice investigative work there in locating the channel list for the Preferred Choice package. I placed my order today with VE and the installation is scheduled for early next week. Let's see how everything goes. They are giving couple of months of CricketTicket free. Triangular ODI series between Aussies, W. Indies & Pakistan should be quite exciting.

CuteChhokra, I am not an expert on these things but I do remember reading here in one of the threads that the satellite carrying the south asian channels can not be picked up by more common 18" or 18x20 dish. One must have this 36" dish to pick up those channels. Also, you may be able to subscribe to HindiDirect package alone but D* may charge you 4.99 or 9.99/mo surcharge. I personally must go with at least the Preferred Choice package as I need those ESPN/ESPN2 channels with the college hoops season about to kick into a high gear.

I just called D* and yes, they need you to have 36" dish installed to get HindiDirect service. And you HAVE TO subscribe to a Basic pack of 9.99 or Preferred Choice package for 29.99.

if you subscribe for $29.99, they will apply credit $12.50 every month for 12 months, towards the dish cost. So in a way you get your dish expense reimbursed.

Unfortunately the current promo is not good for you if you want South Asian packages.

CuteChhokra said:
I am wondering why do you need 36" dish, and why a normal dish will not work for South Asian package.

Can i not just subscribe to HindiDirect as advertised on D*.. for 29.99? Do I need to add some other package?

The 95W sat is a lower-powered Ku Band sat and needs the larger dish to get sufficient signal. I believe this is similar to how the old Primestar service was broadcast, although I recall that dish being slightly smaller, 24" I believe.

I am going to do some more research on why particular set of channels are available through lower powered satellite resulting in the customers having to spend more money to buy additional equipment.

It would be so much to the benefit of customers and the company itself if the channels work with the existing hardware. The 36" dish is not just and additional expense but a significant one at that too. It costs $150 + taxes - compare that to $25 for a standard dish and $40 for Phase III.

Installation Help for 95W

Can anyone help with the elevation/azimuth I should be pointing at for the satellite at 95 degrees? I'm in Los Angeles and I believe I should be pointing at the Galaxy 3C satellite (??) but had no luck acquiring any of the channels after trying all day today. I have the HR10-250 receiver with the software version 3.1.5e - I assume that it is compatible as the guide posted in this forum suggests 3.1.1d as the minimum software required for this satellite. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

syap said:
Can anyone help with the elevation/azimuth I should be pointing at for the satellite at 95 degrees? I'm in Los Angeles and I believe I should be pointing at the Galaxy 3C satellite (??) but had no luck acquiring any of the channels after trying all day today. I have the HR10-250 receiver with the software version 3.1.5e - I assume that it is compatible as the guide posted in this forum suggests 3.1.1d as the minimum software required for this satellite. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Try this site for look angles.
http://emantechnology.com/lookangle.asp

You should be good on software version. Also, when running the setup, Autoconfigure is the only way to recognize the sats, I believe. As I have mentioned elsewhere, for some reason, all STB's in the system must be tuned to channel 100 or 201 for the Autoconfigure to work.

Another question, can I assume you are using a FTA LNB for the 95 sat?

Hi,

Probably I'm in the same boat as syap. I try to use an FTA dish/LNB (30" disk WineGard) and a DirecTV Phillips DSX 5350 to get programs on Galaxy3C 95.

Right now I don't get any signal strength at all. In the installation screen, system test section, I see "Sofware version 1.01.185".

Do you think I need to download new software ? Where can I get it ? and how can I download it into the receiver ?

Thanks a lot !

Thanks ramcm7. Galaxy 3 is the correct satellite I should be pointing at?

I believe I'm using the correct LNB, I purchased this dish http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=2&CAT=&PROD=87CMCOMBO from Solid Signal.

I'll give autodetect another try with all 3 of my receivers set to channel 100. Does it matter if 1 of the receivers is not compatible with this satellite? I have a HR10-250 & a HAH-SA (both of which are compatible) but the Sony B3 isn't.

Thanks again

Galaxy 3 is the one, I believe. Do you have a signal finder that identifies which bird's signal is locked? Apparently there a few sats in the "neighborhood" that can be locked instead of G3.

That package from Solid Signal should be fine. Did you also set the Polarization Tilt?

Again, assuming all is wired OK, all STB's connected need to be tuned to 201 or 100. Also, you can only run one Autodetect at a time. Good luck.

Sorry, I am a newbie !
What does STB means ? Also what is E*
Thanks

ramcm7 said:
The Philips DSX 5350 does not appear to support the new software needed to recognize the 95 and 72.5 sats.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=2737

Thanks ramcm7 ! Probably I will buy a D10.

The FTA disk I currently has is 30", Winegard, single LNB. So it can only point to 95 (for DirecTV's South Asian program), am I right ?

Do you think I need the 101 as well ? If so, is that I have to buy a dual LNB ?

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts