Experts at talking with DirecTV: HD Tivo Refurb fun. Read inside

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phod

Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Okay, my HD Tivo (10-250) after 9 months of life had the stuttering/freezing/unresponsive/reboot hard drive issue. It would work slowly for about 20 minutes after reboot then choke on itself until another reboot. From looking at forums here and at tivocommunity.com, this isn't a unusual occurance. A lot of people have this similar problem.
I called DirecTV, second tier support, etc as I've seen suggested. Without too much hassle, they sent out a refurbished.

Got the refurbished today and hooked it up and.... the Second Tuner is completely dead. It's in the same place as the old HD Tivo which had both tuners completely active. I tried switching cables, tested another receiver, etc JUST to be sure. I really don't want one with 1 tuner cause it's kinda pointless to me.

I called back again and after some tech walkthroughs (where I had to switch wires AGAIN) the DirecTV representative said that they would have to send a tech out cause it's a "signal issue" (yea okay) at MY expense.

I seriously about exploded but remained call and asked for Customer Retention because there was no way after paying hard earned money for the HD Tivo that breaks within 9 months (that's a hefty cost PER month for that thing) that I was going to pay more money for someone to come and tell me that the refurbished is broken also.

He gave his little reluctant agreement and is going to send me another refurb. A friend of mine also is on his SECOND refurb. Do they even test these things? I mean to ship me one where the second tuner doesn't even work is completely ridiculous. This took about 2 hours of testing/on hold/testing etc etc. Completely wasted a night. Of course that comes with the territory, but still. If I received a working unit it would not have been so.

So my question is, is there an optimum way of handling this where I get a little better treatment. I've seen posts that say that after a THIRD refurb, they actually got sent a new HD Tivo. DirecTV told me that they're only sending refurbs. They also told me that they haven't heard of many problems with the HD Tivo. Yeah right.

I'm just really disgusted right now. I've been a customer for 7 years. I have purchased all receivers through DirecTV. I get Sunday Ticket every year. I have multiple programming packages. I wouldn't order DirecTV if I didn't want to actually WATCH TV which is becoming a problem now without a working HD Tivo.

Any advice? Do any DirecTV representatives post at any forums? It just would be nice to speak with someone who isn't trying to swindle more money out of me or treat me like I'm some halfwit.

Please offer any advice and thanks very much in advance.

In my experiences with Directv they are always interested in keeping a valued customer, most of the time just hanging up and calling back does the trick, as long as you are not rude to the reps (as hard as it may be) you have a good chance of being treat well. The HD Tivos are expensive and D* knows that, if you have to, go all the way to a supervisor you have nothing to loose by trying everything. If all else fails move to Dish and get a 622 :)

Last edited:
Call back on Monday (since tomorrow being Easter, the staff level will be at a minimum probably) and try to get a different CSR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)