Exploring my options : What do I need for...

HiDefGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Tidewater, VA
Former Voom customer...

I have at least 1 HDTV and one SDTV that I want connected. I have a second HDTV but it can be SD, it doesn't get used that much (honestly don't have to have service on it but if I get a free 811 then...)

I have an OTA antenna I want to use for HD locals, so I don't need the dish locals package. What is the best setup for me?

The 942 looks nice, and from what I've heard I can get a 942 + 811 (2 of them?) for about $299. Is that the best move?

Which dish should I get if I'm using an OTA antenna? Any special parts to share the OTA antenna b/t the 942 and 811?

Thanks for the help.

Probably better using your seperate ota antenna... I have a 921 and a 6000u and am happy with them... the dish should just be a dish 500 that gets 110 and 119 unless you live where a super dish is needed and as you stated you do not want locals.. they have diplexors just like V* but you are probably better off keeping everything seperate... your 942 and 811 will have seperate inputs for ota and sat...Simon Knows more about these things and might chime in....

Will I need to pick up a some kind of splitter or something like that on my own to use my OTA antenna with both boxes?

And I'm guessing I'll need two more coax drops in my house if I don't use a diplexor for the OTA, right? Is that something E* would do during installation? (free?)

HiDefGuy said:
Will I need to pick up a some kind of splitter or something like that on my own to use my OTA antenna with both boxes?/
You can, it might degrade signal though...

HiDefGuy said:
And I'm guessing I'll need two more coax drops in my house if I don't use a diplexor for the OTA, right? Is that something E* would do during installation? (free?)
they probably won't but you can try...

Ok, so combining what you wrote in your two posts, they have diplexors like voom but I'm probably better off keeping everything separate, and the 942 and 811 have separate inputs. But to get OTA to both boxes I would have to split the signal, which will degrade the quality though, so Its like I'm screwed either way :) Whats up with that?

Do I just use the diplexor that I have from the Voom install and run coax to both boxes for OTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)