Expressvu HD Channels Back on in Southern Cal

clayface1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
As of last night, many of Expressvu's HD channels were available again in the Los Angeles area. A quick scan with my FTA receiver indicated that all four networks for each coast were available, along with CTV-East. I'm sure there others, but it was late when I checked. As far as I could tell, no channels were lost from my previous scan.

I don't know how long this will last, but enjoy it while you can!

Never mind. Sadly, everything went back to the way it was by the time I got home from work this evening. Oh, well...

Darn!!!

Hmm... Sorry to hear about the letdown - know how you feel!

I don't know the distribution of transponder usage at 82 between the original Nimiq2 and the temporary DTV bird aka N3 - (don't have HDTV) but I suspect you saw results of some temporary swapping of channels between transponders and satellites while BEV did all of the moves outlined in the link above...

Maybe you should have called in sick and enjoyed the shows! ;)

Hmm... Sorry to hear about the letdown - know how you feel!

I don't know the distribution of transponder usage at 82 between the original Nimiq2 and the temporary DTV bird aka N3 - (don't have HDTV) but I suspect you saw results of some temporary swapping of channels between transponders and satellites while BEV did all of the moves outlined in the link above...

Maybe you should have called in sick and enjoyed the shows! ;)

I suspect all this channel shuffling on 82 is for similar reasons to what happened on 91 a couple of weeks ago. They've got 4 satellites up there, two at 82 and two at 91. For reasons best known only to BEV, they are running a rag-tag fleet consisting of two hand-me-down DirecTV birds and two originals. At 91, all was well until a power supply/solar panel failure caused a significant drop in output power. At first, they simply reduced power to all 32 transponders. But outage reports started to pour in from subcribers near the edge of the footprint and others experiencing adverse weather conditions. So they brought in an "understudy" cast-off satellite from DirecTV, named it Nimiq 3 and re-aimed it at central Canada. Initially, they lit up transponders 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 21, 23 and 25 on it. Signals from those virtually disappeared in the extreme southeast and southwest US.
Last month, their frugality caught up with them when Nimiq 3 ran out of fuel. They then moved in another cast-off DirecTV bird in, and again for reasons known only to them, flip-flopped the transponders listed above with 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26 with Nimiq 1.
As far as the changes happening on 82, I doubt that anyone at BEV with knowledge of what they are really up to on will come on here and explain. The official statements call it "necessary maintenance", and that's about all we can expect to get. And good luck trying to get accurate footprint maps of the temporary satellites.

carl033, have you progressed with the 4 remainding transponders?It was quite disapointing loosing RDS right in the middle of the hockey playoffs.
I run my service here in orange county california with one 24" standard BEV at 91 and 24" direct tv at 82, I pay the service at a relative's home in Ontario.I'm tempted to do what you did but only if I can get the ONE transponder I just cant do without and at your last post, you still had not been able to see it.
thanks in advance

carl033, have you progressed with the 4 remainding transponders?It was quite disapointing loosing RDS right in the middle of the hockey playoffs.
I run my service here in orange county california with one 24" standard BEV at 91 and 24" direct tv at 82, I pay the service at a relative's home in Ontario.I'm tempted to do what you did but only if I can get the ONE transponder I just cant do without and at your last post, you still had not been able to see it.
thanks in advance

I replied to your question on the other thread related to this topic. In a nutshell, no luck bringing in transponder 10, 18, 22 and 26. Sorry.

I suspect all this channel shuffling on 82 is for similar reasons to what happened on 91 a couple of weeks ago. They've got 4 satellites up there, two at 82 and two at 91. For reasons best known only to BEV, they are running a rag-tag fleet consisting of two hand-me-down DirecTV birds and two originals. At 91, all was well until a power supply/solar panel failure caused a significant drop in output power. At first, they simply reduced power to all 32 transponders. But outage reports started to pour in from subcribers near the edge of the footprint and others experiencing adverse weather conditions. So they brought in an "understudy" cast-off satellite from DirecTV, named it Nimiq 3 and re-aimed it at central Canada. Initially, they lit up transponders 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 21, 23 and 25 on it. Signals from those virtually disappeared in the extreme southeast and southwest US.
Last month, their frugality caught up with them when Nimiq 3 ran out of fuel. They then moved in another cast-off DirecTV bird in, and again for reasons known only to them, flip-flopped the transponders listed above with 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26 with Nimiq 1.
As far as the changes happening on 82, I doubt that anyone at BEV with knowledge of what they are really up to on will come on here and explain. The official statements call it "necessary maintenance", and that's about all we can expect to get. And good luck trying to get accurate footprint maps of the temporary satellites.

This is one of those times when I wish I had read the info on the BEV satellite that was posted here. I lost the odd transponder verification on my SW44 switch and thought I had a bad connection....I checked connections and it turned out fine, I replaced the SW44 with another SW44 and found the same problem. I rebooted my 9200 (front panel) and stupidly pulled the plug while in that reboot mode and received an 0ecc message that I damaged the hard drive...unit is now being replaced. Come to find out that because of my location in South Texas weak or null transponders in half of the 16 that are odd is related to lack of recognition of one or more of these odd transponders that started the problem. Note: that up until 45 to 60 days ago the switch reception was clear for 82 and 91 on odd and even.....looks like this "maintenance" is more than meets the eye. I have a 100 cm Fortec with Invacom lnb circular ports connected for 82 and signal strength reading of 74 on good odd transponders down to 32 for weak ones and null for the same odd transponders that has been reported. Typical average for the working even transponders in this part of the world is 80 to 86. Many hours were spent learning the hard way.

Nimiq 4iR also in trouble

This is one of those times when I wish I had read the info on the BEV satellite that was posted here. I lost the odd transponder verification on my SW44 switch and thought I had a bad connection....I checked connections and it turned out fine, I replaced the SW44 with another SW44 and found the same problem. I rebooted my 9200 (front panel) and stupidly pulled the plug while in that reboot mode and received an 0ecc message that I damaged the hard drive...unit is now being replaced. Come to find out that because of my location in South Texas weak or null transponders in half of the 16 that are odd is related to lack of recognition of one or more of these odd transponders that started the problem. Note: that up until 45 to 60 days ago the switch reception was clear for 82 and 91 on odd and even.....looks like this "maintenance" is more than meets the eye. I have a 100 cm Fortec with Invacom lnb circular ports connected for 82 and signal strength reading of 74 on good odd transponders down to 32 for weak ones and null for the same odd transponders that has been reported. Typical average for the working even transponders in this part of the world is 80 to 86. Many hours were spent learning the hard way.

I reported a few weeks ago that the transponder shift between Nimiq 1 and Nimiq 4iR were causing big headaches for those of us in "South BC". At that time, of the 8 transponders on Nimiq 4iR, I was able to pick up 4 with my Fortec 100-cm dish and Invacom LNB. Those were 4, 8, 12 and 24. Well, a couple of days ago, those signals started dropping. Today, they are just about gone.

There are several possibilities:
1. The satellites output power is dying quicker than expected.
2. BEV has re-aimed its footprint even further north.
3. BEV is trying to conserve fuel which is used to maintain its antenna pointed properly. The misalignment is showing up for those of us on the fringes.

Those of you on the West Coast or extreme Southeast US, if you were able to pick up these transponders, have you noticed any changes in signal strength over the last few days?

Expressvu is pathetic these days ;0 I love their service but they are trying to get by with total garbage satellites... ;0 Why dont they lease some decent birds like charlie does. some of the AMC ones etc? Why keep messing with these crappy ones Directv owns...! ;0

-B

Hmm... Have to agree with y'all...

Furthermore....

Instead of competely dismissing users outside of Canada (many of whom are ex-patriates whose business back in Canada [upon return] would be lost), BEV is missing an opportunity for enlightened self-interest...

Haven't the boffins also figured out that we "fringe" (as in: on the fringes of reception) users essentially act like canaries in a coal mine? We're the first to notice issues that (eventually) affect users like my sister in Southern Ontario - and when SHE notices BEV messing around, the rest of (the majority of) the users can't be far behind... and yes, she & her husband noticed the recent messing around...

Or as my late father once put it, "It's remarkable how much arrogance often resembles simple ignorance..."

'Nuf said...

after reading your post carl033, i checked my levels yesterday evening and noticed the loss too. I tinkered with my dish just a tad but ended up storming back in the house after confirming the loss.

I'll fool with a bit more over the weekend. I can let yall know what I see down here in central TX (Austin). I've always been able to get everything on 91. I can get a good chunk on 82 but that's were I have always been missing tp's. I'm still using a Dish500 with a DP Twin. Once for fun, I pointed at 82 on a single pan and actually pulled everything in... but that was a while ago. Until I'm in a house, I do not want to have to use 2 seperate pans on my already cluttered small apt. patio :)

If I don't sort it out over the weekend, I think it's time to dump BEV and join Iceberg's team! ;)

after reading your post carl033, i checked my levels yesterday evening and noticed the loss too. I tinkered with my dish just a tad but ended up storming back in the house after confirming the loss.

I'll fool with a bit more over the weekend. I can let yall know what I see down here in central TX (Austin). I've always been able to get everything on 91. I can get a good chunk on 82 but that's were I have always been missing tp's. I'm still using a Dish500 with a DP Twin. Once for fun, I pointed at 82 on a single pan and actually pulled everything in... but that was a while ago. Until I'm in a house, I do not want to have to use 2 seperate pans on my already cluttered small apt. patio :)

If I don't sort it out over the weekend, I think it's time to dump BEV and join Iceberg's team! ;)

I'm Southeast of you. I checked all the active TP's on 82W a day or two with a 90cm dish. I noticed I was unable to tune a few transponders, I'm not sure if they have some of them off or just simply do not come in down here. I'll post the list for a few your northerners to check later.

cool. pretty sure 82 does have a few that are not lit up but i always miss out on more because of weak/no signal.

lyngsat doesn't show anything on 9, 12, 15, 19, or 23. hopefully that's up to date.

Guys, I need your help.

I have 9200 in the southwest, and last night something happened.

The receiver says my switches are bad and running the test does not fix it. However, I also noticed transponder changes last night.

Example: I'm getting all the big 4 networks from each coast again, but lost WGN HD (my favorite). See I know this because even though the switch test fails, on *one* input the 82 degrees channels still seem to show up.

Do you guys think I really have my SW21 switches fail that combine my 81 & 92 dishes, or do you think BEV has changed transponders so much that the stupid receiver *thinks* something is wrong due to the particular transponders that are now missing???

I appreciate your advice before I take further action.

The BEV service bulletin says that on Friday they will move services back to original location? Do you think thinks might work for me again then, or do you things my SW21 switches really broke? Is it a new satellite stuff is being moved to, or they just temporarily moved things for some reason?

Thanks!!!

I bet Lyngsat is out of date... check my uplink thread, the link is a few messages back. I'll post some PDF's with the entire layout, it will include the changes last night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)