ExpressVu satellite back in 1998? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
Although it shared satellite space with StarChoice on the Ku side of Anik E2 (A2) in 1998, with Bell ExpressVu moving to a DBS-only sat the following year (Nimiq 1). ExpressVu used Dish Network software whiles StarChoice used 4DTV and DC-II software. But did you need a Bell ExpressVu receiver in order to watch/see their programming at the time? (Though ExpressVu can only be viewed in Canada), If I'm correct?

SatPhreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Yes you needed a Bell Expresvu ird to watch the channels because they were scrambled. When they moved to there own satellite at 91w ,you just needed to remove old lnb add new lnb and repoint the dish. I was watching 91w within 10 minutes of watching on 107.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

Reactions: JosephHolloway1998

Phil T

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Littleton, Colorado
I watched a lot of programming in the clear off Nimiq 1 with a Dish 3000 receiver and regular LNB. I remember CTV out of Halifax being one of the channels in the clear. I believe the 3000 was not activated at the time because I had upgraded to a Dishplayer and later a 301 DVR. The signal strength was only around 70% but good enough here in Colorado. Those were the days when you did your own installs and satellite TV was not just cable in the sky. I also had all E&W networks just for asking and later had three dishes pointed at 119, 148 and 72.5 when HD came along. Wife got mad when I added the forth dish for Nimiq!

Reactions: QCK

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
Yes you needed a Bell Expresvu ird to watch the channels because they were scrambled. When they moved to there own satellite at 91w ,you just needed to remove old lnb add new lnb and repoint the dish. I was watching 91w within 10 minutes of watching on 107.

So ExpressVu scrambled its channels back then?

SatPhreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
So ExpressVu scrambled its channels back then?
Yes, most of them. They used Nagravision card in the receiver. Back then if you aimed at a Dish Network satellite, the receiver would down load Dish Network's software and you could see the unencrypted barker channels. Most of the rest were scrambled. When you reaimed the dish to anik satellite it would download Express Vu software again. You could aim at 97w and use a Dish Network or Express Vu receiver to pick up about 5 or 6 channels in Arabic. Shortly after I tried and succeeded I bought my first FTA box for the rest of the channels on 97.

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
Yes, most of them. They used Nagravision card in the receiver. Back then if you aimed at a Dish Network satellite, the receiver would down load Dish Network's software and you could see the unencrypted barker channels. Most of the rest were scrambled. When you reaimed the dish to anik satellite it would download Express Vu software again. You could aim at 97w and use a Dish Network or Express Vu receiver to pick up about 5 or 6 channels in Arabic. Shortly after I tried and succeeded I bought my first FTA box for the rest of the channels on 97.

So Nagravision 3 wasn't compatible with Videocipher/Digicipher II or standard FTA receivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts