Extended recording time for a sporting event

sethwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Booneville, AR
Do basketball games, college in this case, not get an extra hour tacked onto a recording incase the game goes long?

I missed the last minute of play on the Arkansas vs Georgia game tonight.

Recorded on my Hopper(S238) on western arc, ESPN2 144.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Dish does not alter any programming, or times of them and it would be not be good if they did. So as for running time that's from the guide. The game itself has some padding included, but obviously games can and do go over. It it's important, record it and add an hour, or just have the receiver stay on that channel another hour with a non recording timer.

I'm not sure if this happened in your case and my usage of the Hopper is limited to work and not having one at home even though I have had several different Dish dvr's in the past. I have seen the H/J do some strange things when recordings are involved, but I have seen if you had a number of timers for the evening and you didn't allow for overlap on the game and all three tuners are needed at the same time the game ending, you automatically lose the padding on sports events. Older receivers do this as well, but having another tuner seems to add uncertainty to what gets recorded and how it handles them. It still leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

You can add time to special recordings by going to the timer options and changing the "Start Early--End Late" times for individual timers without affecting other timers. When you set up the recording increase the "end late" time to cover a possible overrun of the guide times.

If I am there before the timer fires off, many times I will just cancel the timer and use "Stop Recording Manually" so I can be sure that the extended setting I chose on the timer doesn't cut off the end for whatever reason.

oh wait...Hopper.

If I am there before the timer fires off, many times I will just cancel the timer and use "Stop Recording Manually" so I can be sure that the extended setting I chose on the timer doesn't cut off the end for whatever reason.

oh wait...Hopper.

I see what you did there... You're right though. They need to add that functionality back. In the meantime you have to rewind to the beginning of the buffer and hit record once it stops, or set a manual timer.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Yeah, and other times if the timer has already fired off and I see that it is close to ending before the game is over, I'll wait until the next commercial, hit stop, and then start recording again (stop manually) to be sure I get the ending. You're right, they need to add that functionality back.

I miss the ability to rename the event even though you could not use other than the initial capital.
That means you cannot match a two-word title exact enough so they get grouped.
Well the old ability was closer than having the date you get on the Hopper for manual timers.
It also messed up the Republican Reply by having the scheduled program's name on PTAT. Won't last long.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)