External Hard Drive Activation Fee

Better yet, do it with 2 DVRs:

receiver price say $100*2 + one time $40 activation fee = $240
But if they do what your post says
receiver price $140*2 + no activation fee = $280

No activation fee but a $17 a month fee for the second DVR..... ;)

wouldnt the 2nd 211 be only 7 bucks? I thought the 211 wasn't considered a DVR like the 622/722's are

but he started with 'do it with 2 DVRs.' A 211 is not DVR, so by default the second one is higher priced.

The recent discussion involved the 211. The beginning of the thread and most of it involves the $40 activation fee for a DVR. The 211 came in much later. I can see what you mean, however, so I'll go to my room.... :)

Because they charge a hell of a lot more for the receiver in the first place.

Unless of course you lease it, in which case the monthly lease fee makes Dish's 922 lease fee look cheap. Bell's HDDVR lease fee was $25 last I looked.

I can buy a 722 from Dishstore.net for $319, Futureshop sells the 9241 (Bell version of 622) for $499

So Bell is buing 622's from Echostar for under $300, and selling them for $499, and you complain about Dish charging only $40? When Bell is profiteering for $200?

Bell also sells the 6131 for almost twice what Echostar sells the 211.

So in essence, the Canadian OP can buy a 722 for $319 and pay $40 EHD and be out the door for $359 or he can pay $499 + $0 EHD and be out the door for $499?

Or he can lease it for $25 from Bell versus $17 here through DISH. After 5 months he would have paid more than $40 extra to lease so then he's essentially paying an extra $8 a month but not having to pay $40 for the EHD feature.

Hmm...makes a lot of sense. Perhaps Mr Ergen should raise the lease rate to $25 and make the EHD an included feature or just jack up the purchase price to $499 and throw in EHD as well.

Bell buys their equipment from Charlie and puts their own software in it...so they (Bell) gotta make up that money to pay Charlie ;)

Because they charge a hell of a lot more for the receiver in the first place.

Unless of course you lease it, in which case the monthly lease fee makes Dish's 922 lease fee look cheap. Bell's HDDVR lease fee was $25 last I looked.

I can buy a 722 from Dishstore.net for $319, Futureshop sells the 9241 (Bell version of 622) for $499

So Bell is buing 622's from Echostar for under $300, and selling them for $499, and you complain about Dish charging only $40? When Bell is profiteering for $200?

Bell also sells the 6131 for almost twice what Echostar sells the 211.
I do believe bell charges CANADIAN dollars which were worth .75 in american money..not sure what the exchange rate is now tho

I do believe bell charges CANADIAN dollars which were worth .75 in american money..not sure what the exchange rate is now tho

U hit the nail on the head. The 499$ Canadian price was set when the exchange rate was 0.75, but now that the rate is almost at par Bell has not adjusted their pricing downward (even though they are paying Charlie much less per receiver in equivalent Canadian $).

Perhaps this is why the crazy nickel & diming has not yet arrived in Canada, because they are laughing all the way to the bank with an extra 25% margin on all hardware.

Considering Canadians come to the US to get healthcare on a timely basis let's not use that as an example to say why it is better than the US ;)

Since this gets into an area that is way OT, I'll stop any further comments on this and stick to the topic...

Ghpr13:)

Well in point of fact

The VIP211's chip set could always talk to a USB Drive. It's build into the B2C2 chip set. The same with HD it's in the chip set. The thing that makes the difference is what supporting hardware you have. Like two tuners or 3 usb ports. It's all in the chipset. The system calls that read a sector off a usb disk is already written. All Echostar has to do is stack the calls into a program. The cost for design, engineering both the software and hardware is paid just like an auto when it is purchased. The rest is what they can get out of you. The hard ware on the VIP 722 not counting the case (I don't design the box the boards go in I was just part of a team doing boards) is $ 60.00 appx. There are the IP licenses that have to be contracted for from the patient holder. Mpeg4, Mpeg2, USB2 and Cypher for example. Then there is support and management. Lets us just say a VIP 722 cost a $ 100.00 to get in the hands of the guy who is paying the bills. That is you.

The real cost making the TV work is the programming cost each day. Dish or Direct could give away the equipment and still make a killing after about 3 month of you paying. Just keep these things in mind. Now if you don't believe me:

DISH Network - Investor Relations - 1.888.825.2557

All the numbers on page 51 of the 2009 Annual Report are in thousands. In a nut shell total equity (how much of your money they made in profit) $ 2,091,688,000. I think they should waived the usb disk charge.

This is my first post Hi everyone.

All the numbers on page 51 of the 2009 Annual Report are in thousands. In a nut shell total equity (how much of your money they made in profit) $ 2,091,688,000. I think they should waived the usb disk charge.

This is my first post Hi everyone.

First, welcome to satelliteguys. Second, you are not correct. Total equity is not the total profits of the company. Total equity includes accumulated profits but is also many other things including stock issued. You might want to get a better understanding of how financial statements work before you try to prove a point using them. ;)

just bought a 211k. as soon as it comes in, i will call to activate the ehd feature. I do think it is a BS charge, but it is something I will pay over the monthly fee of another 722k.

their marketing department probably knew people would do this and so put the fee in place.

Another thread that has degenerated and long finished it's purpose. All pertinent issues have been addressed over and over. TEN PAGES over a THREE YEAR OLD fee you either pay (that most of us have and long forgotten about it) or don't, LIKE IT OR NOT!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)