External Hard Drive Activation Fee

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
Just wondering if anyone has ever been able to get the external hard drive activation fee waived or offset by programming credits?

I am from Canada and the Canadian sat providers never charged such a fee, so I am kind of having a hard time accepting to have to do it with Dish.

If having this fee waived is not possible, do you know if Dish sometimes has limited time promotions where you can add an external hd for free?

Thanks in advance.

It's a pretty hard set fee. No promotions for such. You can try, but don't expect much.

Nope you're going to have to pay. For goodness sake, it is only $40...

Perhaps you would like to pay the charge for me?

I find that allthough Dish has a much better selection comapred to the Canadian sat providers I used to have, they sure do bleed the customers dry with all these extra fees.

External hard drive activation fee, programming reduction fee, additional receiver fee... None of this exists in Canada. You almost end up paying as much in fees as you do for the programming with Dish.

I appreciate everyone's answer regarding this external hard drive activation charge. Looks like I will have to concentrate my efforts on big sales on an EHD instead of trying to get the fee waived. :)

Become a Dish Net retailer. We get all our fees waived, Oh wait... no we dont.
Dish still wants its fees, even if you make money for them.

Sorry cant help you.

a person with ehd usually will need some tech support for that feature. Dish has to have staff handle those calls. If people wanted supoport for that feature then i would charge to activate it as well.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been able to get the external hard drive activation fee waived or offset by programming credits?

I am from Canada and the Canadian sat providers never charged such a fee, so I am kind of having a hard time accepting to have to do it with Dish.

If having this fee waived is not possible, do you know if Dish sometimes has limited time promotions where you can add an external hd for free?
Then don't get it. If the fee is not worth paying, then the service is not worth getting.

Comparing the fees to a Canadian service is immaterial, as the channels themselves are completely different (not to mention the taxes involved).

If Bell was so much better, there are ways to go about it (as long as your far enough North. If not, then Shaw is an option).

Perhaps you would like to pay the charge for me?

I find that allthough Dish has a much better selection comapred to the Canadian sat providers I used to have, they sure do bleed the customers dry with all these extra fees.

External hard drive activation fee, programming reduction fee, additional receiver fee... None of this exists in Canada. You almost end up paying as much in fees as you do for the programming with Dish.

I appreciate everyone's answer regarding this external hard drive activation charge. Looks like I will have to concentrate my efforts on big sales on an EHD instead of trying to get the fee waived. :)

I wonder if it occurred to you that you will have to pay more for more channels? I know the activation fee is annoying, but it is one time.

I would gladly pay more for more channels, but activating a usb port on a receiver that I own is very frustrating to say the least.

It's like selling me a car, and than saying: if you would like to listen to the radio please pay an additional fee to activate it.

I guess it's all optics. Had the receiver cost 40$ more, I probably still would have bought it, but than maybe there would not be an activation fee for the EHD.

Guess I am one of those guys who would rather pay 207$ for a plane ticket, instead of 200$ (but have to pay 7$ once seated to get a hot meal). Makes you feel like you are being nickel and dimed.

As for tech support for this feature... Puh-lease! How hard is it to plug in an EHD and click OK to format? I do not buy the reason for the 40$ activation fee is because of the additional tech support required for this. It's a cash grab.

Anyway, like I said: Given your answers, it is probably better to look for a deal on an EHD rather than trying to get Dish to waive the activation fee.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)