External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Seagate Problems

I've been struggling with my 1TB Seagate for about a year. It worked great for about 3 months (minus the sleep mode, which doesn't really bother me to much). And then one day it wouldn't allow me to send any more data to the Drive. It's only about 25% full, so that's not the problem.

The funny thing is that I can still watch the movies that are on the drive. I can even restore movies from the drive back to my 622, but I can't add anymore movies. Very strange.

I've checked all the cables, reset the hard drive and dvr reciever, promised new software by Dish Network one month and then they say it's a "known" problem by Seagate the next month, contacted Seagate and they said it sounds like some data is corrupt and I should reformat.

I don't have a problem with reformatting the drive, but is there a way to do it through the 622? Where do I go to reformat my EHD?

I've been struggling with my 1TB Seagate for about a year. It worked great for about 3 months (minus the sleep mode, which doesn't really bother me to much). And then one day it wouldn't allow me to send any more data to the Drive. It's only about 25% full, so that's not the problem.

I don't have a problem with reformatting the drive, but is there a way to do it through the 622? Where do I go to reformat my EHD?

To reformat you need to first plug it into a pc, run the disc manager, & delete the existiting partitions (be REALLY careful you don't wipe the wrong drive). Then plug it back into the 622 and it'll reformat it.

No More Seagate!

To reformat you need to first plug it into a pc, run the disc manager, & delete the existiting partitions (be REALLY careful you don't wipe the wrong drive). Then plug it back into the 622 and it'll reformat it.

Reformatted and still having problems. I'm done with Seagate! I picked a new Western Digital My Book Elite and will be connecting tonight. Will there be any issues with Dish Network with plugging in a new drive? I'm hoping I can just plug it in and not have any problems or additional charges. Can I be expected to pay the $35 again?

Reformatted and still having problems. I'm done with Seagate! I picked a new Western Digital My Book Elite and will be connecting tonight. Will there be any issues with Dish Network with plugging in a new drive? I'm hoping I can just plug it in and not have any problems or additional charges. Can I be expected to pay the $35 again?

I have 2 Western My Book (home ed.) 500 Gigs ea. No, you only pay once for the USB port from D. Just plug in the drive and it does the rest. The rec. will recognize it and you're good to go.

One quirk: Both of my drives if left plugged in for over 1/2 hr. won't accept new data & I get an error message. They work just fine other than that 1 oddity. When they're getting full they can get weird at times and I have never plugged either 1 into a PC for a re-format.

I too tried a Seagrave and it went back the next day.:)

Just to reiterate that something worked for some strange reason. It was mentioned somewhere in this humongous thread. What it is.

My ehd (Maxtor III 320gb) suddenly came up as an unrecognized usb device on a VIP612. I tried rebooting, all variations, different cable, front usb port, and attaching it to a Windows Vista based system, to no avail.

In the mean time I got a new 612 (many problems and finally disk problems too). The tech said it wasn't recognizing my ehd because of the 612's problems, I was doubtful, but...

Anyway, I get the new 612, ehd problem remained. So I started to search for info--not easy to find stuff in this thread. So after reading a lot and finding little I gave up, but vaguely remembered that someone had said they had attached their drive to Windows and looked at it with disk management (Windows administrative tools>computer management>disk management). You can look to see it's there and healthy, or delete and reformat. So, you do nothing.

For some strange reason as mentioned by the person who first noted it earlier in this thread, the drive was now recognized. It's currently restoring some of my programs.

I'll report further if the ehd goes missing again, or anything interesting happens.

Just to reiterate that something worked for some strange reason. It was mentioned somewhere in this humongous thread. What it is.

My ehd (Maxtor III 320gb) suddenly came up as an unrecognized usb device on a VIP612. I tried rebooting, all variations, different cable, front usb port, and attaching it to a Windows Vista based system, to no avail.

In the mean time I got a new 612 (many problems and finally disk problems too). The tech said it wasn't recognizing my ehd because of the 612's problems, I was doubtful, but...

Anyway, I get the new 612, ehd problem remained. So I started to search for info--not easy to find stuff in this thread. So after reading a lot and finding little I gave up, but vaguely remembered that someone had said they had attached their drive to Windows and looked at it with disk management (Windows administrative tools>computer management>disk management). You can look to see it's there and healthy, or delete and reformat. So, you do nothing.

For some strange reason as mentioned by the person who first noted it earlier in this thread, the drive was now recognized. It's currently restoring some of my programs.

I'll report further if the ehd goes missing again, or anything interesting happens.

Thank-you for posting. At some point I bet that helps someone who undoubtedly will have the problem.

After reading to the point of fatigue, :) , is it possible to just find out, after paying the $40 bucks, what drive(s) require nothing much more than plugging them in and transferring the programs.

Sure, no problem! I presently have 5 of them on an 8-port hub and all have performed without problems...

I was looking to replace my Seagate Free Agent pro, with a model that doesn't have issues. I had heard WD was one of the preferred drives. There is a 1.5 TB for $99 at Newegg currently. Has great reviews. Do you have all 5 hooked up at the same time? If so how does your receiver deal with them?

Brad

I was looking to replace my Seagate Free Agent pro, with a model that doesn't have issues. I had heard WD was one of the preferred drives. There is a 1.5 TB for $99 at Newegg currently. Has great reviews. Do you have all 5 hooked up at the same time? If so how does your receiver deal with them?

Brad

All 5 hooked up at the same time, yes. More than one powered-on at the same time? Not a chance. Only one at a time. :)

I was all set to buy the Cavalry 1TB online (no store around me carries it) when I happened on Target and their $65 price for the 1TB WD Elements. Reviews seemed favorable so bought it. It was immediately recognized, reformatted without problem, and is working great. Can't speak to reliability yet but so far so good! There appears to be no problem in the receiver seeing it even if the receiver is turned off and back on. Transferred the drive to my other 611 and it worked immediately.

Hi all,
I don't know if anyone has already posted this information....

If you have a Seagate Freeagent and you have to reboot your VIP everytime you want to watch some archived show in the external HD then you need to turn off the "sleep" mode on the Seagate drive. Go to the official Downloads Seagate site (I cannot post any links yet) and download the appropriate software for your Freeagent model.
Install the Seagate application on your PC and connect your Seagate USB to your PC. Then run the applications setup and turn-off the "energy saving"/"sleep mode" option.
Then re-connect the drive to your VIP DVR and re-initialize the driver.

CAUTION: The above procedure will erase any previous recorder shows.

This procedure might actually help me with Sleep mode issues between my FTA Box and my Seagate USB drive. :D

Don't mean to hijack this thread! :)

I also purchased the Western Digital Elements 1TB drive, it will be my 5th drive (the others are Seagate Freeagents). I have not opened it yet, I was looking through the thread but it is SO long I search but could still not find any info. Is this a drive that you can hook up right to Dish DVR (622) and format it? Or do you need to do anything with it (for instance the Seagate Freeagents I used to turn off the power saver feature). Any info before I format is appreciated. Thanks:)

UPDATE: Sorry I missed the post above on this hard drive, any others who have used it who may have any suggestions/problems could you chime in for us new WD Elements users?

Last edited:
I searched through the thread and cant seem to find an answer. Can an external HD be swapped between a HD 722 and SD 625?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)