External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

SUmmary details in other threads ( 622 and Seagate Freeagent 500GB
1 1st try to manage device on each 622 resulted in format error; 2nd try worked.
2 Transferred programs to both external hard drives. On second try to view an archived program the 1st 622 it could not recognize the hard drive. It gave an error message that the hard drive was formated for another receiver, reformated the drive and cleared all programs. on the ist try to view programs on the second 622's hard drive the drive showed empty. i went back and selected manage device again. This time it saw the programs.
3 the time estimates the 622 gives to send and restore are way off. A 30 minute store took 20 and a 33 minute restore took 15. quicker is better. However, a correct figure would be nice also.

I'm using WD My Book 250gb. I took it off my PC and erased what little I had on it. Formated first time with no problem. First time out I tried to download to it from my 622 with several HD movies including King Kong, War of the Worlds, Harry Potter, Star Wars and maybe one other.

Screen showed I had 239 gigs of storage and my downloads would use about 53. Time to download the selections was estimated at 3 hours and some odd minutes but a few moments later it showed 2 hours 47 minutes.

I went to check on it after about 20 minutes and the green status bar was gone and no estimated time to download completion was showing. The WD was humming along, however, so I let it be.

The next check was about 1/2 hour later and sure enough, I have the green bar and time remaining up again. Just checked a second ago and back again with no status bar and no time shown. However, it is still showing the selections are being downloaded and the external hard drive is still working.

The status bar and time are very important. They should not come and go during a download no matter how long. E* will have to address this issue.

My own bug... I have been archiving 1 or 2 programs at a time with a Seagate 320 Gig Free Agent drive... after archiving I can't set up a new upload to the drive, I get an error message(855). The only way I have been able to get it to work again is to power down the HDD, then power back up...

Last edited:
1) Swapping between multiple drives (Already formatted by 622) requires reboot of the 622. Basicly whenever a drive is unplugged, it will not recognize it or another one until the 622 is rebooted.

2) As others mentioned, the time status bar during transfers may or may not show a time while transferring

3) Not so much a bug, but missing feature....cannot sort the programs on the external drive. I think they show up in the order they were transferred.

I have been using two 500gb Seegate FreeAgent drives.

One of my ext hard drives cannot be erased. I tried delete and restore. Neither option deletes from the hard drive. I called E* and no one there has any clue as to these problems . How can we get in touch with the programming/engineering staff to let them know of these problems? no wonder it took so long to release this feature. For me it could have waited longer.

Transferred to this thread:

Scott and all:
We have a problem two new hard drives one a Hitachi and now one that is a Seagate accepted the transfer of programming, but after 30 secs. they freeze and the prompt appears that the usb is not connected....*E thought it was a bad drive and so I raced to replace it and the next new drive did the same thing.....*E folks are trying to solve what appears now to be a major software glitch.....I'm trying to now get my first new drive back that has the bulk of my programming realizing it is now a sofware problem.....I'm pretty ticked off!

Here's the interesting part: Both drives accepted all the programming, but on playback after 30 secs. the picture freezes and then the usb disconnect prompt appears.....you reboot, reconnect the usb try again attempt to play the recording....any of them and the picture freezes and the usb disconnect message appears again.

I have a old Maxtor Diamond 120GB ATA133 in an external USB2.0 enclosure I got on Ebay for $5.95, and I have none of the issues above.:)

Only one thing is weird: I move four recordings to the EXT drive, and whenever I start playing a show and then stop, and then go to the next show it prompts RESUME, even though I haven't played it yet. However when I press RESUME on the new show, it starts from the beginning anyways. Not a big deal, but it's NOT RESUME.

My own bug... I have been archiving 1 or 2 programs at a time with a Seagate 320 Gig Free Agent drive... after archiving I can't set up a new upload to the drive, I get an error message(855). The only way I have been able to get it to work again is to power down the HDD, then power back up...

I seem to be experiencing the same problem. I have a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent drive. I can archive one or many shows if I select them in the first batch, but I if I try to archive additional shows after that I get the error w/ your usb device or something I don't remember exactly. After a hard reboot of the 622, I can archive stuff again. Surely they testest this, maybe it's some kind of activation issue? I was really hoping this would work smooth as it is a very useful feature. . .

First day... they have beta testers but question is will the beta testers put the application thru the wringer and even if they did will they tell the truth ;)Rant on Dish, if you see this let honest folks test the equipment, not stooges ;) Rant off...Mine just did it again... I think you need to not let anything be going in the background, no programs paused etc... having said that I just had it do it again... ;)

Other than the progress bar/timer inaccuracies reported above, the only oddity I've seen with my LaCie 500GB Porsche Design enclosure (Samsung drive) has been restoring an unprotected SD program to the 622's internal hardrive and it showed up protected. Of course, my son has had more face time with the 622 than I have had, so I need to test further...

I dropped in a 250GB to test before I went out & bought another new drive. transferreed 1 HD movie over to the USB drive, played it for 5 minutes, system locked up for about 2 minutes & finally reverted to live TV. Went back to watch the movie & it was completely gone from the list, however it still shows the space as used.

I have a feeling it's going to take a few software revisions to get this right.... I'm glad I got the service for free.