External Hard Drive Database Western Digital 500 gig

External Hard Drive Database Western Digital 500 gig, Any Problems With These Drives?

• Western Digital 500GB MyBook Pro Triple Interface External Hard Drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Digital WDG1T5000N My Book Pro Edition 500 GB USB/Firewire Triple Interface External Hard Dr

• Western Digital 500GB My Book Office Edition External Hard Disk Drive WDH1B5000N

• Western Digital 500 GB My Book Premium ES (WDG1SU5000N)

• Total voters

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
I few days ago I stated in thread that I would try to put together a spreadsheet on External Hard Drive Bugs... I am thinking of approaching it differently by making a poll or polls as to the durability of the different brands of EHDD's... then we will have the data to start a spreadsheet rather than searching the threads.
I know there are many models of these drives, If I missed one let one of the Staff know and we can add it. If you have problems with one of these drives please note the problem and model in a post...

You need an option for no problems with each drive. I know it doubles the amount of data, but we need to know how many people are having problems with a drive vs those that are having no problem.

For example at the moment in this sub poll only one drive is reported as having a problem. But I have the same drive and am having no problem.

Would be beneficial to add technical info: HDD model and USB chip type.
At least get "Device Instance Id" from Details tab of Properties the USB device using PC.

You need an option for no problems with each drive. I know it doubles the amount of data, but we need to know how many people are having problems with a drive vs those that are having no problem.

For example at the moment in this sub poll only one drive is reported as having a problem. But I have the same drive and am having no problem.
Added No problems :)

I've got WD Elements 500GB (not My Book), which I bought in Target on Black Friday. No issues. Works great. Unlike MyBook, it doesn't have any blinking lights on the front panel (only on the back) which I definitely like.

I've got WD Elements 500GB (not My Book), which I bought in Target on Black Friday. No issues. Works great. Unlike MyBook, it doesn't have any blinking lights on the front panel (only on the back) which I definitely like.

I hide them behind my Center Channel speaker... :)

I would be afraid to put any magnetic media next to a speaker. ;)
But then again, central speakers are supposed to be well-shielded, so maybe it's not a big deal...

I would be afraid to put any magnetic media next to a speaker. ;)
But then again, central speakers are supposed to be well-shielded, so maybe it's not a big deal...

Good point, but they are not touching or anything; just back in a crevice on the shelf. And no problems whatsoever, so I suspect the speakers are insulated well enough.

I'm not sure which model I have - I think it's the Western Digital 500GB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U5000N. No problems here. Goes in to sleep mode after some period of time, but my 622 wakes it up just fine.

New WD green drive

I just added a WD Green 500 gig drive and it works fine. I bought this adapter that the drive just slips into and accepts any Sata drive 3.5" or 2.5". So far it's working just fine. Will be a nice feature since now I can just buy extra drives and slip them in when this one fills up.

Bill

n4hmb and SteveinDanville have voted that they are having an issue with their Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 500GB external hard drive... I have one too, no problems.

WD Elements 500GB

Just connected an WD Elements USB 2 500GB external drive and no issues, worked just fine.. Quiet and no annoying LED that distracts you when your looking at your entertainment center.. The LED is in the back of the Case... Picked it up from Newegg..

There are several user reviews of the WD crashing at 2 years on Amazon.com although they would have to be the version 1 of the Western Digital Essential 500. I am thinking of going with the Iomega Desktop Hard Drive 500 model 33654. Anyone use one of these?

I have 20 of the WD My Book Essential 500GB usb drives and all working properly and I've had the external hd option enabled since day 1. I did have one drive fail but other than that have had no problems or bugs. Besides, since they've gone to the new design of the high gloss black with the cylon-like blue moving eye, they're pretty cool looking.

I have the WD My Book Essentials 500GB EHD. There is no way to power it down (without unplugging it from the wall) and the blue light stays on all the time. Is this ok, or will it wear out the drive sooner? I was thinking of buying a power strip with an on/off switch and plugging it into that so I could power it off when the receiver is off and I'm not planning on recording anything. Is this a good idea? I have a VIP 622, but am also thinking of getting another of these EHDs for my 211 when they activate the DVR function in the 211. Thanks for any replies...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)