External hard drive for 222 and 211?

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 13, 2004
Indiana
In the past I and others have posted numerous inquiries for this question in other related threads and searched all the forums for an answer. There seems to be little information on this topic other than the same question I propose. Will the VIP 211 and 222 receivers be capable of running a external hard drive in the future? I know this has been discussed on the tech chats and occasionally here on Sat Guys but no definitive answer has been given.

I know some Smart A** will chime in on the first post to this thread and say "if you want a DVR then get a DVR.":rolleyes: I realize that option is open to me but I already have a 622 and want to convert my 22 into a DVR without incurring another 18 month contract or lay out $500 for a new 622.

There's only one definitive answer. We don't know. Has not happened. No news of any kind. Total limbo.

Hey KAB, thanks for the response. I did call DISH the other day and spoke with someone in the Colorado call center. When I asked the same question the CSR checked his data base and stated DISH has no plans of adding the EXT HD feature to any of the non DVR receivers. Maybe this is the definitive answer or the "canned" response the CSR's are instructed to reply with tom the question. Guess we wait and see.:confused:

My guess, it will not happen. A good idea at the time, but with the advent of the new VIPs, it's probably not worth going forward.

They just recently enabled the ethernet port on the VIP222. I was told several months ago (true, or not) that the 222 would have the external hard drive feature enabled by the end of the year.

There's a tech chat monday. I vote we all send email questions like:

What happened to the promised external hard drive support for VIP211 and VIP222?

I'm going to.

I tried on the Charlie chat but they sent me a canned answer that there "wasn't any tech experts handling questions for Charlie Chats. Ask a Tech Chat."(or words to that effect)

There's a tech chat monday. I vote we all send email questions like:

What happened to the promised external hard drive support for VIP211 and VIP222?

I'm going to.

I tried on the Charlie chat but they sent me a canned answer that there "wasn't any tech experts handling questions for Charlie Chats. Ask a Tech Chat."(or words to that effect)

Did it. I have been waiting for this. I thought last tech chat they said summer.

Their answer:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We apologize for the delay in this feature. We are always looking for ways to improve our service, and we appreciate your input. We will forward your concern to the proper department; however, we can not promise when this will be implemented. [/FONT]

Then this:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]steve: can you promise it will be implemented someday?
(24DrDcb) Tashia T: It is a feature we are researching and would like to have available for our customers.
(24DrDcb) Tashia T: Unfortunately I cannot make any guarantees about it.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

Did I mention I drink bourbon?

LOL .. :p

Here is how mine went:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
You have been connected to (24DrDcb) Angela C.
(24DrDcb) Angela C: Thank you for choosing Dish Network Chat Support. My name is Angela, and I'll be happy to assist you. How may I help you today?
Network connection re-established.
Dave: Are plans still going forward for ext hard drive (DVR) support for the VIP-222 ? Thanks!
(24DrDcb) Angela C: I'll be happy to assist you with this concern. Please bear with me a moment while I access the information.
Dave: Tnx
(24DrDcb) Angela C: Plans are still in the works. We do not have a definite release date, but it is coming! And we are very excited to be able to offer that functionality.
Dave: So it is 100% just not the release date?
(24DrDcb) Angela C: Exactly.
Dave: Thank You very much and have a good evening

: Plans are still in the works. We do not have a definite release date, but it is coming! And we are very excited to be able to offer that functionality.
Dave: So it is 100% just not the release date?
(24DrDcb) Angela C: Exactly.
Dave: Thank You very much and have a good evening

Yours was a lot more positive than mine!

Hopefully "soon" for this feature will be a lot sooner than name-based recording for the 50x series DVRs. We waited - what was it - four years for that? They finally rolled out that feature after those models were more or less obsolete.

Still no word on this huh? This could be a way to save Dish Network some money by attaching an external hard drive to a 222 therefore not needing a 722 since that is essentually the only difference between the two.

If they would just provide everyone with just a 222 receiver then that would simply things greatly. They could make the hard drive accessable by using ethernet wiring in your house to network the receivers together and voila you are darn close to your whole house solution. Just add a 222 for every two tuners that you need and a hard drive if you need DVR service.

It seems too easy, they will probably never do it.

Last month (August) I sent an email to the CEO email address and asked what was going on with this feature that was mentions numerous times on past Charlie Chats and Tech Forums.

The response I got back said that the feature was supposed to be installed on the VIP222 in October and the VIP211 in November.

Please keep in mind that we've all been hearing that it coming out in the spring (that was last winter), then the summer (that was last spring), then July (that was on a chat in May).

Your guess is as good as anyone else.

I have a friend at E* that tells me they are working on it hard. I hear that the testing is actually going quite well. Not sure on the actual release date though sorry.

In the past I and others have posted numerous inquiries for this question in other related threads and searched all the forums for an answer. There seems to be little information on this topic other than the same question I propose. Will the VIP 211 and 222 receivers be capable of running a external hard drive in the future? I know this has been discussed on the tech chats and occasionally here on Sat Guys but no definitive answer has been given.

I know some Smart A** will chime in on the first post to this thread and say "if you want a DVR then get a DVR.":rolleyes: I realize that option is open to me but I already have a 622 and want to convert my 22 into a DVR without incurring another 18 month contract or lay out $500 for a new 622.

$500? Come one. Have you called in lately? Maybe if your credit is bad and you're a "FREE FOR ALL" customer. I have a 722, and I was told $75 for a 612 or 622. $150 for another 722. Of course with a 24 month contract, which is fine, I've been with Dish for 11 years, and have no plan of ever switching.

BTW, we all know if you pay for the 622 and have a tech come out and install it, most likely you get the 722 anyways, because the warehouses usually don't have the 622's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)