External hard drive for 222 and 211?

Hi guys, I don't live here on this forum so if the answer is painted on a wall somewhere within these pages, forgive me for asking. I viewed some of the recorded re-broadcast of the tech chat from 11-10 and heard the external hard drive for the VIP 211 is now a reality. What about the VIP 222? Was that discussed and I missed it or is it a dead issue?

I gather the new L522 that's spooling out to ViP211s now is the release we need to support the EHD and DVR functions. I'll be curious is Dish fixed the bogus Power LED bug introduced in L521.

Never saw the bug - what conditions to get it ?
Every morning at 5:00am my 211 does the timed reboot. I have a timer that goes off at 1:00am to one of the Muzak channels for sleep music so it is powered-up when the reboot hits. When it comes back up, the 211 is on the "screensaver" (normal power off condition) but the green LED is on. If I press select or the power, the 211 comes on and the LED stays on. If I power it off, the LED goes out like it should.

It's been doing this for at least a month. I can't say time-wise if it started after the L521 Firmware release or the installation of the purple G3 card.

Hi guys, I don't live here on this forum so if the answer is painted on a wall somewhere within these pages, forgive me for asking. I viewed some of the recorded re-broadcast of the tech chat from 11-10 and heard the external hard drive for the VIP 211 is now a reality. What about the VIP 222? Was that discussed and I missed it or is it a dead issue?

Dish has always said that the 211's would become DVR's before the 222's. I have not heard any change, meaning that Dish still intends to make the 222's DVR, as well, but they haven't been specific. I think it depends upon how well the 211's behave before they roll it out for the 222's. Patience.

My question is this: considering the external HDD is via USB 2.0, will this not limit a lot of the functionality compared with the internal HDD DVR's? Will it be able to have 3 streams (even 4 with the OTA tuner) between the box and the external HDD with all the trick play, etc. Now, if it were eSATA, sure. But USB 2.0? I am wondering what, if any, limitations there will be with functionality as compared to the internal HDD DVR's. Would eSATA have been more expensive for Dish? It would have meant that customers would have to be careful which HDD they buy, as USB 2.0 is ubiquitous. We should sneak that question on the next Tech Forum.

Having L5.21 and no G3 support, have not seen such 'green bug' :).
Last night, I made sure my 211 was "off" before I went to bed. Sure enough, this morning the LED was off. So, it appears that L521 leaves the LED in the previous state with a G3 card. Can anyone else confirm this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)