External Hard Drive???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sure can. Check the sticky thread about it.

Hmm, I just looked and it's not a sticky anymore apparently.

Just be aware it replaces, rather than augmenting your existing internal drive. All the existing items you have recorded will disappear when you connect an external drive. They still exist and can be seen by removing the external drive, but you will not see them while you have the external drive attached.

Also, (correct me if I am wrong)
I believe it does not allow you to view the shows anywhere else except that DVR.
So you can not transfer it to other.

I think there is very little advantage to this on an HR24 as they have a pretty large hard drive to start with.
But of course, you could be recording a lot more then most.

I have an HR20 that I use a 1TB external drive with. I find I have so much on there that I don't watch it all. It has as 320 GB internal drive. My HR24 has a 500 GB drive which seems to be plenty big enough for me. I know some have 2 TB drives, but I would never get around to watching everything on there, and if the drive goes bad or the dvr goes, then you are sol to watch whats on there anyway.

I believe it does not allow you to view the shows anywhere else except that DVR.
Could someone with an external drive please verify whether or not content on that drive can be viewed by others in a whole house DVR setup.

Last edited:
Could someone with an external drive please verify whether or not content on that drive can be viewed by others in a whole house DVR setup.

Sorry, I was not clear on my post.

It will show up on the MRV when hooked to the same DVR it was used to record with.
It can only be viewed as long as it is hooked to the same DVR it was used to record with.
The external DVR can not physically be moved to another DVR and viewed.

so if the receiver dies then you're screwed getting those programs back

Yeah, but if the programs were on the receivers hard drive, you are also screwed.

I tell people all the time if they want them "backed up" to get a DVD recorder and copy them to disk.

Is there any other ways to back stuff up externally that can be viewed else where without a DVR?
Basically is there a separate video recorder with its own hard drive?
I would like a 1TB or 2TB recorder that could be moved to other TV's.

so if the receiver dies then you're screwed getting those programs back

That's exactly why I don't use really large drives like a 2TB. It holds too much, for me anyway. If I don't get around to watching it and something happens to the hd or the dvr, I am sol for the content.

Sorry, I was not clear on my post.

It will show up on the MRV when hooked to the same DVR it was used to record with.
It can only be viewed as long as it is hooked to the same DVR it was used to record with.
The external DVR can not physically be moved to another DVR and viewed.

No, you cannot move the drive. Direct has this on their website. The info you are looking for is the next to the last paragraph on the page.

That is what I said.
Although the last line I had a typo it was supposed to say

The external hard drive can not physically be moved to another DVR and viewed.

My apologies

Anyone know if there is an adapter that can be used from a USB external HD to eSata so that it can be used on a HR24 without having to buy another HD?

kjlued said:

I think there is very little advantage to this on an HR24 as they have a pretty large hard drive to start with.
But of course, you could be recording a lot more then most.

Its only a 500gB HD, that's really NOT THAT LARGE.
Some people here have 50 things recording on their drives and want room to have more Season Passes

raoul5788 said:
I have an HR20 that I use a 1TB external drive with. I find I have so much on there that I don't watch it all. It has as 320 GB internal drive. My HR24 has a 500 GB drive which seems to be plenty big enough for me. I know some have 2 TB drives, but I would never get around to watching everything on there, and if the drive goes bad or the dvr goes, then you are sol to watch whats on there anyway.

I use a 1.5 TB EHD, I don't have all that much set up as Season programming goes, maybe 10, however, when a new season starts, I keep the whole season incase I fall behind or want to go back and re watch one and that takes room, I also will recod important Football games and re watch them but ill remove the football when I'm done or need more space.

Ok, I am a newbie and not too technical, ok not very technical at all. I am interested in recording my son's football highlights from our local news sports report on my DVR. I would then like to be able to transfer these highlights to a DVD for a keepsake, how can I do this? What specific equipment would I need to have to allow this? Thanks!

You have to make the recording in real time. That is, record the output of the dvr to a dvd recorder as it is playing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts