error code 771

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I can't watch anything. it says there is a problem communicating with the satellite. of course if I want this fixed, I have to pay D* $50 because their hardware failed:rolleyes:. As crappy as Comcast is, at least they don't make me pay $50 everytime their damn hardware doesn't work. So, what can I do to fix this? I've unplugged the swim adapter. btw, none of my receivers work. I just don't think I should be held hostage for $50 by them

Last edited by a moderator:
About all you can do is plug power inserter back in and check/tighten every fitting you can access inside and outside the house and reset the receivers. Any number of things can result in "problem communicating w/dish" message. Even if that appears to correct the problem it could be temporary.

I can't watch anything. it says there is a problem communicating with the satellite. of course if I want this fixed, I have to pay D* $50 because their hardware failed:rolleyes:. As sh!tty as Comcast is, at least they don't make me pay $50 everytime their damn hardware doesn't work. So, what can I do to fix this? I've unplugged the swim adapter. btw, none of my receivers work. I just don't think I should be held hostage for $50 by them

Did you unplug the power inserter before or after the problem started?
Because with it unplugged, nothing will work and you will get a 771.
It also needs to stay on the outlet with the power passing port on the splitter.

If the problem happened before unplugging it, then you most likely either have something in the way of the dish or it got knocked out of alignment.

Did you unplug the power inserter before or after the problem started?
Because with it unplugged, nothing will work and you will get a 771.
It also needs to stay on the outlet with the power passing port on the splitter.

If the problem happened before unplugging it, then you most likely either have something in the way of the dish or it got knocked out of alignment.
i was watching tv just fine and all of a sudden it stopped working. thats the 100% truth lol
I called D* about 25 minutes later and the lady told me to pull the inserter while the 771 error message was up and that could fix the problem. i pulled it until the power light went off like she indicated and then put it back in. error message was still present. this was on my HR21. I reset it several times as well
On my H20, I have reset it several times too. I want to at least be able to watch OTA TV since this could take some time to get resolved(definitely won't be done today of course) and I want to see the Lakers game on ABC(ESPN is too greedy to put it on espn3 apparently). I can't even access those channels now, which is making me very grumpy.
I also observed some stupid kids playing baseball in the street and I'm wondering if one of them hit the bird(now, when I call them stupid kids, it is good to keep in mind that I did the same thing when I was a kid lol). I doubt I could tell much of a difference though if it was moved just a bit off.

If the dish is in a location where it could be hit with a baseball, this is very possible especially considering how sensitive the Ka signal is.

You could try un hiding your SD channels to see if they come in as the Ku signal is no where near as sensitive.

Look at your D12's and if they are getting signall then this should work.

If all tv's are out, look at the dish for damages, and and see if there is something you can fix.

Also, check all connections between the power supply and splitter.

Really hard to trouble shoot but over the net.

But here are a few things

The dish got knocked completely out of alignment.
This would either take one hell of a hit or it would have to have been extremely lose.

LNB got knocked lose which would not be hard if screws were never put in place.

LNB got hit and was busted (if it is busted you are just sol)

Splitter went bad (this could be tested with a barrel splice) take the line that is on the power passing port and connect it directly to the one that goes to the dish but unplug the power inserter first so you do not damage the LNB) This would at least allow you to watch tv in 1 room.

Power inserter went bad.
I know it sounds weird, but you can actually power the dish with the output power of the receiver, you just won't be able to watch TV on the receiver that is being used to power the dish.

If all else fails and you have an 18" laying around, hook it up to one of your standards, go in to the receiver and repeat satallite setup.

I just decided to suck it up and pay the fee. They'll be here tomorrow. I have my ota hooked up to my tv. The audio is making me mad though

Nope. Never saw any reason for it

For the most part, there isn't. (IMO)
$6 a month = $72 a year.
Even if you had a service call once a year, it wouldn't pay for itself.

Not exactly sure how it would work if your receivers went out though.
However, last time I was on site for an upgrade, the customer also had a bad receiver (HD/DVR) and the charged him a $20 handling fee (even though I was handling it from my truck to house...go figure lol).

I have yet to see a real benefit from having it, but maybe somebody here could explain a value in it.

The same exact question asked by the same OP but worded differently in the same forum 3 minutes later got a lot more replies. :D

As far as I'm concerned the protection plan isn't worth it.
Like someone else said at $72/year and one service visit is $50, doesn't even pay for itself.
A failed receiver cost $20 to get replaced without the protection plan, big deal $20, not worth paying $72/year to save $20.

As far as being held hostage for $50 for bad equipment, blah, blah, blah, so the OP expects DIRECTV to do free service calls to every customer in the US ?
That makes a lot of business cents.
Send out a technician for free to unplug and plug in someone's receiver for them.
Free service call when a cable gets cut by accident.
Free service call when a kid hits the dish with a baseball and knocks it out of alignment.
Free service call when an LNB just plain fails for no reason at all.

Last edited:
The same exact question asked by the same OP but worded differently in the same forum 3 minutes later got a lot more replies.

Why would the OP start a new thread with the same issue ?

In this case LKR, has been here a LONG time and would know how things work around here , doesn't seem like something he would do ...

As far as being held hostage for $50 for bad equipment, blah, blah, blah, so the OP expects DIRECTV to do free service calls to every customer in the US ?
That makes a lot of business cents.
Send out a technician for free to unplug and plug in someone's receiver for them.
Free service call when a cable gets cut by accident.
Free service call when a kid hits the dish with a baseball and knocks it out of alignment.
Free service call when an LNB just plain fails for no reason at all.
Comcast has no problem sending out service calls for stupid reasons, so I think D* shouldn't be charging $50 for an actual issue.

With every thing comes a price.
Free service calls = higher monthly bill.

I guess D* could just go up $6 a month on everyone and offer free service calls across the board.

I personally like the choice to either get free service calls or save $6 a month.

The way I look at it is that if I had cable, I would rather them deduct $6 a month off my bill and charge me $50 if I needed a service call.

Back on the subject....in addition to checking fittings/resetting receivers/bypassing SWM splitter as Kirk suggested...you can take the power inserter out of the loop also. One receiver will power the SWM lnb to determine if the power ins. is the problem. Run line from the wall straight to the receiver, jump the splitter with a barrel, running straight to the dish.

The protection plan works well I guess for those folks who have an intermittent problem that sometimes requires multiple visits/different techs. Tech goes out..things are working fine..he changes a couple of fittings, peaks the dish-hoping he's found the problem and prevented a service-on-service chargeback....the most expensive kind and then BAM in a month or so the problem raises its ugly head again. Don't know for sure but I suspect customer gets charged for subsequent visits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The IV retest program that is standard procedure on upgrades and service calls will head off service calls and result in better system reliability for customers. Eliminates a techs ability to "trick" a setup, allowing activation of new receivers on less than optimimum operating systems. Amounts to a free tuneup for customers. Sucks to a degree because you are not getting paid for the time required to whip things into shape. It is what it is.

Back on the subject....in addition to checking fittings/resetting receivers/bypassing SWM splitter as Kirk suggested...you can take the power inserter out of the loop also. One receiver will power the SWM lnb to determine if the power ins. is the problem. Run line from the wall straight to the receiver, jump the splitter with a barrel, running straight to the dish.
THIS, I was not aware of ... I always heard that a regular recvr would NOT have enough power to run a SWM set up, I would remove the PI and the SWM LNB and use the old LNB to test with, if he still has it, THAT would work with the recvr powering the LNB.

The protection plan works well I guess for those folks who have an intermittent problem that sometimes requires multiple visits/different techs. Tech goes out..things are working fine..he changes a couple of fittings, peaks the dish-hoping he's found the problem and prevented a service-on-service chargeback....the most expensive kind and then BAM in a month or so the problem raises its ugly head again. Don't know for sure but I suspect customer gets charged for subsequent visits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The IV retest program that is standard procedure on upgrades and service calls will head off service calls and result in better system reliability for customers. Eliminates a techs ability to "trick" a setup, allowing activation of new receivers on less than optimimum operating systems. Amounts to a free tuneup for customers. Sucks to a degree because you are not getting paid for the time required to whip things into shape. It is what it is.

And to think, awhile back we had techs here stating that they were required to check ALL RECVRS and to maintain the entire SYSTEM before they leave .... Which is it, your not getting paid to maintain the system or you are ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts