error code 771

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's my understanding that a receiver will power a swm lnb but it won't last for long before burning out the power supply in the receiver. The power inserter puts out 21 volts, the receiver only 12, IIRC.

It's my understanding that a receiver will power a swm lnb but it won't last for long before burning out the power supply in the receiver. The power inserter puts out 21 volts, the receiver only 12, IIRC.

That is a possibility as the receiver is having to work harder.

However, for a test purpose when you don't have a spare power supply, it is useful.

And to think, awhile back we had techs here stating that they were required to check ALL RECVRS and to maintain the entire SYSTEM before they leave .... Which is it, your not getting paid to maintain the system or you are ?

Where it is true that we are supposed to check and make sure the entire system is up to code on a service call or upgrade, unfortunately it is not always in a techs best interest.

For instance, you get to a $15 upgrade to find that entire system needs to be rewired because there are splices every where, the system is not grounded, and the pole needs to be reburied because the one who initially buried it used no concrete. (and yes, this actually happened to me and similar stuff happens all the time to every installer)

Now,

a) you can spend 3 hours there and $30+ in materials to make $15
b) You can walk off the job
c) or you can do what direct is paying you to do which is just $15 to ad an additional receiver.

None of the decisions are right or fair

What I wish is that we had an option to get a supervisor out there to rebuild the work order to make it fair for the installer and service the customer properly.
Back when I did Wildblue, I could do this simply by taking pictures of the install and sending them in. For a while, I had to wait several days for approval, but later they changed it so that I could do it on the spot as long as I sent in the before and after pictures.

So it can be done for brief periods of time, very brief ?

I have no idea how long or brief it can be done for.
I also have no idea what will break in the system when it gives (could possibly also burn up the LNB by under powering it)

but yes, it can be done.

I don't think under powering the lnb would hurt it...if that were the case then I'd guess that failing receivers would damage lots of them. The receivers output voltage is an alternating 13/18 volt DC signal....odd/even. Couple seconds of one then the other. A multimeter can be used to test a receiver by by being set on a low vlotage DC scale..use a short piece of coax with one fitting that can be attached to the receiver. Strip the other end as if you were going to install a fitting. One probe from meter (-) to the braid-other to the center conductor. Reading on a properly functioning receiver will alternate between 13 and 18 volts.

I don't believe it can damage the receiver either..it doesn't know that you are sending its voltage to a SWM lnb or a regular 3 or 5. A 29 volt SWM 16 pow. insert can also be used to power a SWM 3 or 5 also. (might solve a problem with long cable runs to dish-who knows) Most of the equip is pretty tough.....pretty tolerant to low voltage abuse.... you can hook a power inserter up backwards at a receiver without it hurting the receiver or the p. i. for at least as long as it takes you to figure out your dumb mistake (don't ask me how I know that) Even had a trainee hook up output from tv to output on receiver with no damage. Good for a chuckle.

All working now. The tech didn't stay to make sure every tv worked, but thankfully they do

I don't believe it can damage the receiver either..it doesn't know that you are sending its voltage to a SWM lnb or a regular 3 or 5. A 29 volt SWM 16 pow. insert can also be used to power a SWM 3 or 5 also. (might solve a problem with long cable runs to dish-who knows) Most of the equip is pretty tough.....pretty tolerant to low voltage abuse.... you can hook a power inserter up backwards at a receiver without it hurting the receiver or the p. i. for at least as long as it takes you to figure out your dumb mistake (don't ask me how I know that) Even had a trainee hook up output from tv to output on receiver with no damage. Good for a chuckle.

I'm sure it can. The power supply doesn't put out the voltage the lnb is trying to draw. That will over heat it and burn it out.

I don't understand what "the power supply doesn't put out the voltage the lnb is trying to draw" means. Lnbs are supplied current..they don't draw voltage. Also, which "it" overheats and burns out?

Assuming there is enough current, the lnb will only draw what it needs, but we are talking about voltage, not current. You are right about "drawing". Current is drawn, not voltage. I was wrong there. The lnb needs 21 volts to operate properly. A receiver only puts out at most 18 volts. The power supply in the receiver will overheat and burn out trying to supply more voltage than it can deliver. Do a google search and you will find reports about this very problem.

I read through this thread and saw some questions about the Protection Plan I'd like to clear up if I can.

The Protection Plan in my opinion is definitely worth the $5.99 a month. It is basically an extended warranty with the only string attached being that you are required to troubleshoot over the phone to try to resolve the issue. If troubleshooting is complete and the issue is unresolved the end result is usually either a replacement receiver or a cost free service call.

There is no limit to the amount of replacement receivers or service calls for the Pplan. You can have 50 entitled service calls a year and you'll still be able to have 50 more. Same for replacement receivers. When DirecTV notices multiple issues occuring on the same account they do escalate to Case Management who's job it is to basically save DirecTV and the PPlan money by setting up a permanent resolution.

Here's an off the top of my head list for the prices covered under the PPlan.
Service Call - $49
Standard Ird- $69
DVR - $200
HD Ird - (Bit questionable on this, the pricing changes but generally around $200-$300)
HDDVR - $400

All of which are covered by the PPlan if there is a mechanical or equipment failure. Steps to help you when tsing with PPlan techs are to be polite, follow the steps and give specific feedback on whats happening. Just like any other person, those people that answer the phones respond negatively when you call in guns blazing.

I read through this thread and saw some questions about the Protection Plan I'd like to clear up if I can.

The Protection Plan in my opinion is definitely worth the $5.99 a month. It is basically an extended warranty with the only string attached being that you are required to troubleshoot over the phone to try to resolve the issue. If troubleshooting is complete and the issue is unresolved the end result is usually either a replacement receiver or a cost free service call.

There is no limit to the amount of replacement receivers or service calls for the Pplan. You can have 50 entitled service calls a year and you'll still be able to have 50 more. Same for replacement receivers. When DirecTV notices multiple issues occuring on the same account they do escalate to Case Management who's job it is to basically save DirecTV and the PPlan money by setting up a permanent resolution.

Here's an off the top of my head list for the prices covered under the PPlan.
Service Call - $49
Standard Ird- $69
DVR - $200
HD Ird - (Bit questionable on this, the pricing changes but generally around $200-$300)
HDDVR - $400

All of which are covered by the PPlan if there is a mechanical or equipment failure. Steps to help you when tsing with PPlan techs are to be polite, follow the steps and give specific feedback on whats happening. Just like any other person, those people that answer the phones respond negatively when you call in guns blazing.

Leased receiver/dvr replacement is free regardless of whether you have the protection plan or not. Without it you will likely pay shipping, but sometimes it is waived.

no one was home?
put it this way - the people that were home at the time have no idea what anything related to satellite stuff means, and even if it was written down, would have a hard time reading it to me :p

LOL

Oh well, would have been nice.

Next time if you are not there, call the installer back and ask.
Most techs would not have an issue with this and maybe next time you could fix it yourself.

Assuming there is enough current, the lnb will only draw what it needs, but we are talking about voltage, not current. You are right about "drawing". Current is drawn, not voltage. I was wrong there. The lnb needs 21 volts to operate properly. A receiver only puts out at most 18 volts. The power supply in the receiver will overheat and burn out trying to supply more voltage than it can deliver. Do a google search and you will find reports about this very problem.
Actually, I'd reword your statement this way. "The power supply in the receiver will overheat and burn out trying to supply more current than it can deliver."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)