External Hardrive

Another question guys....I noticed that when I hook up the EHD to the new 622 it will state this A message will appear on the TV screen asking to format the drive. This will permanently delete all content that is currently saved on the hard drive. Select 'Yes' to continue
The question is will it delete the content or it won't cause it was already formatted with the old 622 and is on the same account? Thanks again......
I also just noticed that on the Dish site it says the maximum EHD is 2 TB but the Dish dude said only 1 TB......so which is correct?

Last edited:
When you get the message to reformat the drive DO NOT ANSWER YES. What you need to do is first unplug the receiver then when it has rebooted itself plug in the EHD and power it up. You will be fine and will see everything you had stored on the drive.

The secret to success may lie in not paying attention to outdated documentation.

If the DVR throws a message about wanting to format, tell it no and contact DISH Network about your issue. Chances are awfully good that it WILL NOT offer to reformat.

harshness said:
The secret to success may lie in not paying attention to outdated documentation.

If the DVR throws a message about wanting to format, tell it no and contact DISH Network about your issue. Chances are awfully good that it WILL NOT offer to reformat.

My 211s don't like it when I hot swap drives so I get the reformat message. I then reboot my receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I currently have a 625 looking to upgrade to the 722 or 922. Can I get a EHD on the 625 and move the recordings over to the new HD DVR?

No. IIRC, the 625 does not have USB2.0, only 1.0. Thus an order of magnitude slower. And no software either for an EHD.
-Ken

Or as KKlare always overstates/babbles...NO. 625 never was EHD capable.

Hey guys just an update....I got my replacement 622 and it works great and I hooked up my EHD but when I try to erase a show from the EHD(archive) it's still there.I tried to restore a show back to the DVR and then delete it and it does delete it from the DVR but it's still there on the EHD..What's up with that? Also one more question.....when watching a show on the EHD and I hit stop it just shows a still picture and not the screen with all the options such as resume....delete,etc.

Last edited:
The first stop will hold the show. A second stop will bring it to the selection menu for resume, start over, or done.
I wish they had a delete in that menu, so I don't have to go back through the list to re-select and delete.
I wish they allowed rewind from the end, like they do on the internal. A real pain to search near the end this way.
-Ken

The first stop will hold the show. A second stop will bring it to the selection menu for resume, start over, or done.
I wish they had a delete in that menu, so I don't have to go back through the list to re-select and delete.
I wish they allowed rewind from the end, like they do on the internal. A real pain to search near the end this way.
-Ken

For me the first STOP pressed displays the "My Media Event" screen (722K.) I agree though, hate when you get to the end and all you can do is start over unlike with the internal recordings.

The effect of stop seems to vary with machine and maybe time of day, LOL.
On the older 722, which I have, in stopping an internal recording will jump to the recordings list.
On the newer, it backs out only to the group the recording is in. Weird.
Software difference unlikely.
I would like the external to jump out to the same place in the list, not to the top as it is mostly does with a delete.
-Ken
Older L721RJ2D, newer L721RJQD, so different software?

Last edited:
Hey guys just an update....I got my replacement 622 and it works great and I hooked up my EHD but when I try to erase a show from the EHD(archive) it's still there.I tried to restore a show back to the DVR and then delete it and it does delete it from the DVR but it's still there on the EHD..What's up with that? Also one more question.....when watching a show on the EHD and I hit stop it just shows a still picture and not the screen with all the options such as resume....delete,etc.
So does anyone have any clues as to why I can't delete anything from my EHD? I will be calling Dish tomorrow but it seems some of them don't know to much

Just wanted to let everyone know that we were able to get it working. I had to send an authorization signal and then GaryZ06 did a hard rest on both the EHD and 622. Just wanted to share in-case anyone else runs into this problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts