External Hardrive

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
I thought that if you had an external harddrive hooked to a 722 and then moved it to a 722k it would have to be reformatted before the 722k would use it and it had to be activated again. Well I just did that and it went right over and started working. I could see and play all the shows that were recorded on the 722. Was there a update that fixed this? I am glad it worked I was ready to lose all those shows that were saved.

I thought that if you had an external harddrive hooked to a 722 and then moved it to a 722k it would have to be reformatted before the 722k would use it and it had to be activated again. Well I just did that and it went right over and started working. I could see and play all the shows that were recorded on the 722. Was there a update that fixed this? I am glad it worked I was ready to lose all those shows that were saved.

So long as the receivers are in the same EHD family, the EHD can be moved/shared without being formatted.

Conversion - 211/211k/411

Archiving - 612/622/722/722k/922

Last edited:
I am trying to move a drive form my 722 to a 922, but getting message 866, "The attached storage device is configured for use with another Dish account. To use this device, all events will be deleted" Any way around this?

I am trying to move a drive form my 722 to a 922, but getting message 866, "The attached storage device is configured for use with another Dish account. To use this device, all events will be deleted" Any way around this?
It can only be transferred between receivers on the same account.

No way around it. The drive is married to your account when you initialize it and will only work with DVRs that are registered to your account.

I have a simple question....I have a 622 and a EHD......I was told that if I upgrade to a 722 I can not take the EHD that is hooked up to the 622 and hook it up to a 722.....basically the content that is on the EHD will not work with the 722...

I have a simple question....I have a 622 and a EHD......I was told that if I upgrade to a 722 I can not take the EHD that is hooked up to the 622 and hook it up to a 722.....basically the content that is on the EHD will not work with the 722...

Wrong... I can hook any of my EHDs to the 622/722/722K/922 receivers without a problem.

I ask this cause I just got a replacement 622 and while on the phone the Dish dude told me I can upgrade to a 722 for free but I will lose all my content cause it's not compatible with the 722

I ask this cause I just got a replacement 622 and while on the phone the Dish dude told me I can upgrade to a 722 for free but I will lose all my content cause it's not compatible with the 722
The only way this is misleading but true is if he was talking about the internal disk. Any replacement receiver will have it's own disk and a new/refurb receiver will of course not have anything on it. But if you save your content to the EHD, then you will not have a problem as long as it's on the same account as your 622.

Thanks ....this is exactly the info I needed....So then if I decide to upgrade to the 722 then I can use and save the content that is on the EHD....

Move all your content on the internal drive on the old receiver before you make the switch. Then you won't loose anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)