External HD Antenna Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tbusa

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
I had an external HD antenna installed with my dish during the summer and lately my local CBS channel keeps losing it's signal fairly frequently. Does anyone know if it sounds like my antenna just needs to be adjusted and is there any special method other than trial and error to adjust it?

I had an external HD antenna installed with my dish during the summer and lately my local CBS channel keeps losing it's signal fairly frequently. Does anyone know if it sounds like my antenna just needs to be adjusted and is there any special method other than trial and error to adjust it?

First, are all of the connections tight? If so, then check AntennaWeb to see if you have the correct type and size antenna and that it is pointed correctly.

Thanks for the info I plan on going on the roof today and checking the connections. I appreciate the website which I wasn't aware of , that should help I'm sure. Thanks!

Yes that site is usually very helpful also gives you the directions and distance to your towers :up

What type of antenna did you put up ?
I always advise setting up a rotor with any antenna.
Back in the early days of HD, the OTA signal was running at half strength and you had to adjust the antenna occasionally, now that they are at normal power, I rarely have any problem with local reception.

Jimbo

Actually it was an antennae that I purchased with DTV at the time I had it installed. Maybe not the best one to get but that's what I ended up doing because I was moving in to a new house. It's like a flat wire type antennae.

That is one of the smaller versions of the type. A larger, higher gain antenna will have a narrower pattern which may be a problem if you have stations in different directions. What signal strength does your receiver show for the problem channel? Repointing it while someone is looking at the strength display (in Menu-Setup-Antenna Setup) may help you find the optimum point, but check antennaweb first. I found that where the antenna is located on my roof made a big difference (fortunately my local ABC station is now carried in HD, so my antenna is now pointing at the PBS/CW/MyNetwork transmitters which are all in the same direction).

Actually it was an antennae that I purchased with DTV at the time I had it installed.
Look at some of the recommended antennas and compare it to what your's looks like. It may be a fine antenna that is just poorly set up (or it could be worse than a twisted coat hangar).
It's like a flat wire type antennae.
Most, if not all, non-amplified antennas are 300Ohm (twinlead). This is not a bad thing.

Does the antennaweb site have photo's of some antennae types, I didn't see any and I'd like to compare some to the type I have. I still need to check the signal strength and see what that shows.

Does the antennaweb site have photo's of some antennae types, I didn't see any and I'd like to compare some to the type I have.
Here's a link to a reseller who carries many different kinds of antennas (it should not be taken as an endorsement):

TV ANTENNA PAGE, CHANNEL MASTER , WINEGARD, ANTENNACRAFT START HERE TO PICK OUT YOUR NEW TV ANTENNA ,HD antenna. DIGITAL HDTV SIGNAL over the air

I tried to refer to one of the above GOLD sponsors, but none seems to offer a breadth of OTA antennas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)