external hd recommendations 211k

justgreatfood

Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I would appreciate any recommendations for the brand and model number of an external hd for my 211k . Thanks in advance

I know there is a list out there of what works but I have had good luck with Western Digital ones.
Used a 320GB to start
upgraded to a 500gb (was on clearance)
now using a 1TB

It just has to be one that has an external power

I have (2) 211Ks that I have been running since EHD first became available using Western Digital my book essential 500GB hard drives. Both have been performing since w/o
any problems. I just put a 1.5TB WD my book essentiol harddrive on my 622 this past week and it installed with no problems. They are cheap and work well. I can't remember what the largest one is that you can put on a 211k but I believe a 1TB will work....
Gerry

edit: found the thread...2TB now

from the Dish support site

ViP 211 - L563
SRS Volume Leveling, TV Ratings Changes, HDMI Autodetect, Pop-up Rework, Live Sports Themes, PPV Rental Indicator, 2TB Limit for EHD.

Thanks for the quick response, I have ordered a wd 2tb hd. Are there any "gotchas", or is it straight forward for the installation?

Pretty straight forward. Plug it in and reformat the EHD for the 211k. That's pretty much it. Oh, and don't forget to get a hold of Dish to activate the feature for your receiver. I suggest using the online chat or asking one of the DIRT people on here.

Thanks for the quick response, I have ordered a wd 2tb hd. Are there any "gotchas", or is it straight forward for the installation?

if you havent paid the one time $40 fee PM a DIRT member (their names are in RED) to get the EHD activated. Once its activated then just plug the HD in and follow the instructions
I know when I activated my 211k Mary (DIRT member) said to activate the EHD first then plug the drive in

you're supposed to be able to just plugin the drive and have it active with a "click" or whatever to authorize.. but it didn't work out that way for me.. so like the others I'd recommend call/chat/post for it first.

back then I was even told there was no activation for the 211k that there was no such thing as an external hard drive .. :) front line phones people.. just as bad as the front line chat people. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts