External HD results: Drives Working Properly

I have had the Freeagent Pro 750gb for over 5 weeks, I've never had a glitch. I turn mine on when I use it and off when I do not, I have never changed any firmware ..it's never been connected to a computer, only the Dish dvr. I have had to turn the drive off and back on a few times after a recording but not often. All in all, I am happy, I purchased 3 more 500gb Freeagents.

WD My Book (Premium Edition) 750GB, 16MB Cache - Working perfectly so far! :)

Just picked up the same one - works great so far. One question - it seems to always be on even when the receiver is off - do you leave the external drive on or power it off when not in use?

Just picked up the same one - works great so far. One question - it seems to always be on even when the receiver is off - do you leave the external drive on or power it off when not in use?
Turning it off is the safest bet for longevity.

My WD 500gb powers down after you disconnect the USB cable from the 622. I keep it plugged in the wall all the time but it comes on and off with the USB.

Not sure if anyone watched, but on this month's Tech Dish on channel 101, today they talked about the Seagate Freeagent hard drive and its sleep mode, and they are creating a fix for it, should be in one of the next 2 updates! Unfortunately they didn't mention being able to catagorize the titles on the hard drive or at least putting them in alphabetical order:(

Not sure if anyone watched, but on this month's Tech Dish on channel 101, today they talked about the Seagate Freeagent hard drive and its sleep mode, and they are creating a fix for it, should be in one of the next 2 updates! Unfortunately they didn't mention being able to catagorize the titles on the hard drive or at least putting them in alphabetical order:(

A basic alpha sort was added a couple updates ago. Go to your regular DVR list and Sort By Name, now go to your external and they should all be in alpha order.

NightRyder

A basic alpha sort was added a couple updates ago. Go to your regular DVR list and Sort By Name, now go to your external and they should all be in alpha order.

NightRyder

Thanks Nightrider, I didn't see that as having changed, appreciate it. Finally!

Today while setting the dvr for programs for the week, a message came up that said "programming information on the hard drive is outdated-retrieve program information now?" and it asked to accept or cancel. Does anyone know what this means? I hit cancel because I was afraid of it erasing the drive and I have 116 movies on it. I am assuming this will pop back up at some point, so I would like to know what that means.

I have a Cavalry 750GB with 16mb cache. I power it down when not needed and at night. I have a near-silent home theater fan cooling both the EHD and the 622. It's a very reliable drive. I can't complain about it at all. I like it so well, I bought another to use when this one fills up (and a 4-port hub to switch between them).

I have a Cavalry 750GB with 16mb cache. I power it down when not needed and at night. I have a near-silent home theater fan cooling both the EHD and the 622. It's a very reliable drive. I can't complain about it at all. I like it so well, I bought another to use when this one fills up (and a 4-port hub to switch between them).

Long_time: Can you tell me more about how the hub works? I also have the 622. I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro 750gb, which is full with 120 hd movies, and just started a Seagate Freeagent 500gb (not pro). What I have been doing is just turning them on only when I use them and just switching the usb cable. How does a hib work with the 622 and how do you use it? Do you just hook up more than one and turn on the one you want to use...or?

Exactly. Both drives connected to the 622 via the hub and it recognizes whichever drive is powered-up. You can't have both drives on at the same time.

Thanks long_time, that's good to know. I don't mind switching the plugs now but when I hit my 3rd, I will definately look into this. It's nice.

Purchased this external drive at Staples on "Black Friday" for $79.98 after rebates:

Maxtor One Touch 4 - 500GB (STM305004OTA3E1-RK); 16MB cache

Plugged it in to my 622 and it worked without problems. No on/off switch, and it has a bright front light which I covered with a piece of black tape.

Western Digital 500gb My book Std - many issues Everytime I go to use it I have to completely reboot the system for it to get recognized and even then it takes about 20 minutes. I checked if there was any updates in web site but found none.

Seagate Freeagent 500GB, no problems here! I have bought 4 of them all work great.

I also tried Simpletech 500GB but it actually had problems copying the material as the copied program had drop outs.

Western Digital 500gb My book Std - many issues Everytime I go to use it I have to completely reboot the system for it to get recognized and even then it takes about 20 minutes. I checked if there was any updates in web site but found none.

Seagate Freeagent 500GB, no problems here! I have bought 4 of them all work great.

I also tried Simpletech 500GB but it actually had problems copying the material as the copied program had drop outs.

Freeagent here too, 5 of them, have used 2 so far and no problems at all.

Beedeejay: Just a word...from what I have read on many web sites, it's best to shut the drive off when not in use. My freeagent pro has an on/off switch, but the regular freeagent does not so I take out the plug when I don't use it. I have heard these enclosed externals just frizz out after time when left on, just FYI.

Maybe someone can help. I have a 750gb seagate freeagent pro that has worked perfectly. I bought an additional 500gb freeagent (not pro), and have it 3/4 filled with movies to watch. Today, as I was transferring 5 movies from the dvr (622), as I was scheduling my tapings for the week with the guide, a message came up and said error in sending to the hard drive. Now, no matter what I do, the DVR will not even see the 500gb drive that I was using and came up with the error. It keeps saying that nothing is attached to the USB drive. I then re-hooked my freeagent pro, and perfect, everything is fine with that one, which is filled.

It looks to me like the drive died. It's too bad since I had some of my fave movies on there in HD that aren't shown often. This is what I was afraid of. With blu-ray, you are assured of a play, with these drives, a failure and you lose everything.

Has anyone experienced this? What should I do? Contact Seagate? I have a feeling since the first one, the pro model, still works fine, Dish will tell me to contact Seagate. I have the feeling this drive is dead, anyone care to give some input on this?

Maybe someone can help. I have a 750gb seagate freeagent pro that has worked perfectly. I bought an additional 500gb freeagent (not pro), and have it 3/4 filled with movies to watch. Today, as I was transferring 5 movies from the dvr (622), as I was scheduling my tapings for the week with the guide, a message came up and said error in sending to the hard drive. Now, no matter what I do, the DVR will not even see the 500gb drive that I was using and came up with the error. It keeps saying that nothing is attached to the USB drive. I then re-hooked my freeagent pro, and perfect, everything is fine with that one, which is filled.

It looks to me like the drive died. It's too bad since I had some of my fave movies on there in HD that aren't shown often. This is what I was afraid of. With blu-ray, you are assured of a play, with these drives, a failure and you lose everything.

Has anyone experienced this? What should I do? Contact Seagate? I have a feeling since the first one, the pro model, still works fine, Dish will tell me to contact Seagate. I have the feeling this drive is dead, anyone care to give some input on this?

This really doesn't belong in this thread but....

1. Can you feel the drive spinning with the power plugged in? Any sounds coming from the drive?

2. Have you reset the 622?

3. Hook the drive up to a computer and see if the drive is recognized (Don't let windows initialize it!).

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)