External HDD feature for ViP622 and ViP722: coming 8/15: $39.99

Heck, it would be a nice feature to automate the archiving to the external drive. How about a checkbox on the timer that when checked would copy the show to the external drive after it finishes recording?

Or, as others have mentioned, an auto-archive feature that dumps programs to the external HD if/when the internal HD fills up.

Also as of yesterday the HDD enabling fee was still not determined.
Well, if E* is following this thread then I am sure our comments will help them "determine" the price of the one time enabling fee. Additionally, I am not sure many people will want to archive DishHD recordings if the quality doesn't take a drastic turn for the better.

Or, as others have mentioned, an auto-archive feature that dumps programs to the external HD if/when the internal HD fills up.

........starting with "protected" recordings, and then the oldest, or the highest-priority recordings.

Quote: "Heck, it would be a nice feature to automate the archiving to the external drive. How about a checkbox on the timer that when checked would copy the show to the external drive after it finishes recording?"

This is also a great idea!

Brad

When Dish begin testing the market (IMO this forums), they suggest $20 or $30 one time fee; look - shamelessly raise it to $40.
If they saw that people were willing to pay $20-30 for this, they can then say "ahhh, it's only 10 more dollars....". I'll bet those who would pay $20-30 will end up giving in and paying $40 and Dish will have been right.

I would rather see posts like riffjim pointing to free eSATA storage already provided by cable companies for 2 years and DirecTV last year as right tendency.

Unfortunately that voices of ppl who willing pay made the decision :(.

[The idea remind me other one: some store decide to install gates at entry to their parking lot and get a fee - small , just a quoter ; what that quoter means for ppl who coming to spend at least $50 , but average $100+ ? Well, we have a few other stores in same market.
And remember - all expenses for maintain the parking space was included in business books from beginning.]

I would be happy to pay $39 for it. As I have been posting for awhile the fee was expected to be in the range of $29 to $49, and $39 is in the middle so that not a bad thing.

I think as far as my contacts go, I cant go any higher then some of them. :D

You are welcome to post here but please don't spam the site.

As I recall it been posted different range $20 to $30; have a link ? I can't find who and when posted the outrageous price. :down

"I would be happy to pay $39 for it."

You might be in the minority group that is happy to pay almost $40.00 for this feature. $20.00 seems reasonable to me but $40.00 sounds greedy.

$19.99 would be a fair amount for me. Don't forget the price for HD, Enclosure, USB cable, etc. It comes closer to the price of another DVR.

I agree. It's been mentioned here before that this feature could end up being a better subscriber committment method than a contract could ever be. Why charge us for it??

$19.99 would be a fair amount for me. Don't forget the price for HD, Enclosure, USB cable, etc. It comes closer to the price of another DVR.

Are you thinking that the price includes hardware? I don't think so!

As I read it, they want money just to turn on the capability of connecting another drive. Now, if they were to sell a complete kit with a 500 gb drive and USB cable then I wouldn't have a problem with them charging $99 for that.

Not only does it increase potential customer retention, it will also increase the HD pay-per-view subscriptions.

As a non-premium channel subscriber, I know the main way I'll get first run HD movies will be by the HD PPV channel. $4.99/$5.99 is a lot cheaper than the cost of a Blu-Ray or HD DVD disc.

If Dish were smart they'd do a $39.99 fee plus 10 free HD PPV coupons deal or something similar.

Scott
Have you heard if the fee will apply to the 211 when it becomes availble?? Will there also be a monthly fee for it and is it still December?

It's a "per account" fee. Pay once, covers all units on your account that can use this feature. No monthly fees. August 15 for ViP 622 & ViP 722, and yes, last I heard, maybe December for ViP 211/ViP 222.

So we can only play back from the 211??

August 15 release will only cover ViP622 & ViP722. When ViP211 is added, it can play the recordings made on ViP622/ViP722. Whether the ViP211 will be able to record directly is unknown for sure, but expected.

All these comments are based upon what I've read, mostly at this site. Nothing first hand.

Not only does it increase potential customer retention, it will also increase the HD pay-per-view subscriptions.

Not if they don't start running more titles on HDPPV. Selection is pathetic. I have had 5 free PPV coupons for two months and have yet to use one.

Sounds like everyone is getting excited about this.. I sure would love to see it and I don't feel like I should have to pay for it.. But the big thing to me here is not to forget that this is Dish Network. When have they ever delivered anything ONTIME.. I personally am never going to get excited about anything Dish says is coming until It is actually there and working..

I propose we all stop knee-jerking. First, Scott in post #9 said the price had yet to be determined. Second, the price given is from a third party. I'm waiting for an official Dish Network announcement. Third, even if it is $40.00, most of us are going to pay it. And fourth, we'll have all forgotten about it two months later.

Not if they don't start running more titles on HDPPV. Selection is pathetic. I have had 5 free PPV coupons for two months and have yet to use one.

I never bother with PPV; there are numerous good movies on the four premium HD movie channels, plus UHD and HDNET Movies.

I would prefer it wasn't $40, and agree that as a customer retention tool, it really should be free. BUT I will pay it without hesitation the second it is available.

There really wasn't anything in the OPs article that we did not know from the retail chat the other week. as always, if you want knowledge about Sat tv - and particularly Dish- SatelliteGuys is the place to be!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts