External HDD feature for ViP622 and ViP722: coming 8/15: $39.99

I propose we all stop knee-jerking. First, Scott in post #9 said the price had yet to be determined. Second, the price given is from a third party. I'm waiting for an official Dish Network announcement. Third, even if it is $40.00, most of us are going to pay it. And fourth, we'll have all forgotten about it two months later.

Historically, people that spake the truth were the central figure at a BBQ....... :rolleyes:

19.95, 24.95, 39.99 WTF?!?!?

Are you all smoking CHEAP crack? This is offerend FREE by D* and C*...say it with me .... F R E E !!!

And there are those of you that are willing to pay for this...i swear you guys are absolute suckers......and you deserve what you get to be seperated from your money.

I do know this...for all of you that PAY for this ...there will be MANY of us who won't. This I am sure of.

PS....is the limit still set at 750GB HDD?

I would be happy to pay $39 for it. As I have been posting for awhile the fee was expected to be in the range of $29 to $49, and $39 is in the middle so that not a bad thing.

I think as far as my contacts go, I cant go any higher then some of them. :D

You are welcome to post here but please don't spam the site.

Hi, Scott,

Thanks. I know it's not great form to make your first post a link to an external article, which is why I included the salient info in the post itself, but the link for more details.

Actually I only learned about the satellite guys forum after someone on dbsforums posted a link to our article and I got involved on the thread there to answer some questions. In that thread one of the other forum members said that this was a "scoop" and that nothing was posted on the satellite guys forum, so I thought I'd correct that situation. :)

I have been strictly an OTA guy (1 mile away from all the free HD being broadcast from the top of the Empire State Building), but after seeing the ViP622 and hearing about the 722 and the external HDD feature (plus all the new HD channels DISH is adding this Summer), I will probably be biting the bullet soon, getting a Dish and getting a 622 in for a review shortly (and then a 722 when they're available).

If I have anything of interest to share with you guys, I will be sure to do so but I promise not to just pop in with links to external articles and no additional info.

Regards,

-Chris

If I have anything of interest to share with you guys, I will be sure to do so but I promise not to just pop in with links to external articles and no additional info.
No problem. Glad we are on the same page, Its good to have you here.

BTW I just heard that this external support will be here before August 15th. Possibly as soon as August 8th. I can't wait for it to get here. :)

I dont mind the fee. It helps them cover the R&D fees for making it and the support costs for supporting it, as unfortunately not every reads SatelliteGuys.

I agree that $39 is greedy.

Cable has this service for free, granted its a LITTLE buggy but come one.

This better be top notch and work flawlessly if they plan to bend me over for $40.

BTW I just heard that this external support will be here before August 15th. Possibly as soon as August 8th. I can't wait for it to get here. :)

If Dish wants people to sign up then they need to produce a technical sheet on minimum-maximum requirements for the external drive.

I like the idea of a one time fee per account rather than a per hard drive fee. I might use a smaller drive as a "sneaker net" for shuttling movies between my two 622s.

I dont mind the fee. It helps them cover the R&D fees for making it and the support costs for supporting it, as unfortunately not every reads SatelliteGuys.

I guess if they plan to support it fully and not "use at your own risk", plus imporve it with software updates, it may be worth it. Cable does not offer support, they just activate it

Are you thinking that the price includes hardware? I don't think so!

As I read it, they want money just to turn on the capability of connecting another drive. Now, if they were to sell a complete kit with a 500 gb drive and USB cable then I wouldn't have a problem with them charging $99 for that.

Enable fee ~$40,
HD ~100$,
Ex. enclosure ~$40,
USB Cable - ~$10.
The whole toy plus some bugs at least $200.

Is all this fuss over $40 a staged plan to try to "shame" Dish into charging $19.95 because D* or cable gives this for free while getting your money on the other end?

What is that? A carton of cigarettes and 2 or 3 12 packs of beer?

Greedy would be $99.95 and $5/month. And guess what? Somebody would pay that! Remember $1,000 HD DVRs?

Is all this fuss over $40 a staged plan to try to "shame" Dish into charging $19.95 because D* or cable gives this for free while getting your money on the other end?

What is that? A carton of cigarettes and 2 or 3 12 packs of beer?

Greedy would be $99.95 and $5/month. And guess what? Somebody would pay that! Remember $1,000 HD DVRs?

I personally dont care, I spend money on gadgets like nothing. I just feel that $40 is a good bit of money to some and a little steep for what it is, IMHO.

Ill pay it because I need it while I travel being that no company can make a HDDVR with decent storage space.

No problem. Glad we are on the same page, Its good to have you here.

Cool! No one ever complains when things are early. BTW, we added a link to you guys from our home theater links page (which gets you a featured link on our home page as well for a few days). That would be the "pro quo" since we already got the "quid." :cool:

Later,

-CB

I do not believe it, most of the posters complain for months about external storage rumors not being activated yet and when *E sets a date and fee you start all over again about price. At this rate after we all pay 39.95 will start in on size limit and why did they not make it at least 750 Gb. Some are already griping about no auto archiving.
I am waiting to see after it arrives what features are included then I might complain.

I do not believe it, most of the posters complain for months about external storage rumors not being activated yet and when *E sets a date and fee you start all over again about price. At this rate after we all pay 39.95 will start in on size limit and why did they not make it at least 750 Gb. Some are already griping about no auto archiving.
I am waiting to see after it arrives what features are included then I might complain.
:D good post:up I'm ready for this upgrade myself...

So we can only play back from the 211??

The 211 will be used like a regular hddvr. You will hook a external harddrive to it. It will have only one tuner so I supose you will have to watch what you record. Does anyone know when this feature is supose to become available?? Has a monthly fee already been set??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts