extra dish receiver?

wreckingcru

Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
I live in a rented apartment with other flatmates (we all just rent our own rooms) and we have a dish network connection in the living room.
Our landlord is a little anal, so I'd rather not ask him directly about this first.
Can I buy another receiver off the shelf (craigslist, ebay) and use a splitter before the cable hits the original receiver and connect it to my new receiver that I can use in my room?
I know this is prob a question asked a million times, but I couldn't really figure out what to google for this? I'm sure there are issues with smart cards and hacking etc etc.
Any advice would be appreciated!
PS: I have a non-PVR, non-HD receiver regular vanilla receiver with a basic cable setup (upto ESPN, cartoon network, SpikeTV, no HBO/FX/Showtime).

No you couldn't use a splitter but you COULD use a switch the thing is I'm not sure if you already have a switch in your existing setup. If you don't have one then you could use something like a DP34 and run a total of 4 receivers. It's overkill I know but off the top of my head I honestly don't know of any switches that are just meant for 2 receivers.

Yeah, tell us exactly what you are running (dish, switches and receivers) and someone will chime in with what you need.

I think it's just one dish and one receiver.

I don't really know what a switch is?:(

What I want to do is have reception in my room, so I can watch football in peace :) without the other bozos wanting to change the channel all the time.

I was going to split the signal and attach the second cable to another receiver and use that in my room. I've seen it work with regular cable (at my old aptt).

Please advise!

wreckingcru said:
I think it's just one dish and one receiver.
I don't really know what a switch is?:(
What I want to do is have reception in my room, so I can watch football in peace :) without the other bozos wanting to change the channel all the time.
I was going to split the signal and attach the second cable to another receiver and use that in my room. I've seen it work with regular cable (at my old aptt).
Please advise!
Satellite isn't cable TV on a satellite system there is control voltages on the line, there is also a signal to determine which satellite is sending the signal to the receiver. If this is a DISH Network branded system go to MENU,6,1,1 and run a switch test them post the results it will tell us what you have for outside equipment. You should have a system info button on your remote press this and it will tell you what receiver you have. We can't see what you have for equipment so we need you to help us help you.:)

The basic rule of thumb is that you need a separate cable from the dish/switch to EACH single-tuner receiver.

IF you have DishProPlus outdoor equipment, and a dual-tuner receiver, you won't have to run a separate cable from outside to inside - but of course you'll still have to get the signal from the receiver to your TV. That CAN be done wirelessly if necessary.

Ok, I ran the switch test and it says

"The check switch test has found that you have fewer satellites than previously detected. Press Cancel to keep the old result, or Save to save the new result."

I just cancelled.

The page before that was "green" on
Satellite 119
Transponder 20

My System Info is :
DP311, Software P314

Satellite 119 110

Device: DP-Twin

Remote Address: 1

You have 2 options then:

1) Run another cable from the dish to the other room
2) Get a DishPro 34 switch (about $40-$80 on eBay) and run the cable from the outside to it then 2 connections from it to the TV sets.

Some other folks are going to chime in with getting a dual tuner receiver but you'd still need a switch and if you wanted to keep the cable runs to a minimum with a dual tuner you'd be looking at a much more expensive Dish Pro Plus 44 switch.

Frankly I'd just ask your landlord if it'd be ok to have another cable run because it'll be a heck of a lot easier than putting a switch inside the house and running cables around.

A DP-Twin should be giving you both 110 & 119. The System Info screen will check that for you. Do you have "Green" on BOTH satellites?

If not, that has to be dealt with.

"DP-Twin" was a key piece of info. That means you can hook up a second tuner by using a second feed cable. You can NOT share the cable between the two boxes.

If that's an issue (as I alluded to before), then you will have to replace the DP-Twin with a DPPlus-Twin.

We need to know your cabling situation before continuing.

SimpleSimon said:
A DP-Twin should be giving you both 110 & 119. The System Info screen will check that for you. Do you have "Green" on BOTH satellites?
If not, that has to be dealt with.
"DP-Twin" was a key piece of info. That means you can hook up a second tuner by using a second feed cable. You can NOT share the cable between the two boxes.
If that's an issue (as I alluded to before), then you will have to replace the DP-Twin with a DPPlus-Twin.
We need to know your cabling situation before continuing.

I fail to see how using a DPP-Twin would solve his issue Simon. Even if he did install one he'd have to run a separate cable to each receiver and you CAN NOT use a DPP seperator to run two single tuner units. You can use it on a dual tuner but that'd still leave him with the problem of first getting a dual tuner and then running a cable from it to his TV2 location.

Last edited:
nsafreak said:
You have 2 options then:
1) Run another cable from the dish to the other room
2) Get a DishPro 34 switch (about $40-$80 on eBay) and run the cable from the outside to it then 2 connections from it to the TV sets.
Some other folks are going to chime in with getting a dual tuner receiver but you'd still need a switch and if you wanted to keep the cable runs to a minimum with a dual tuner you'd be looking at a much more expensive Dish Pro Plus 44 switch.
Frankly I'd just ask your landlord if it'd be ok to have another cable run because it'll be a heck of a lot easier than putting a switch inside the house and running cables around.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie at all the cable/sat stuff. I googled the DishPro 34 switch - it looks pretty much like a cable splitter.

Wouldn't I need another receiver for my second television? How else will I change channels? (I'm sorry if this is a very stupid question).

It may look like a cable splitter but it's a more complicated piece of equipment. Yes you will need another receiver for your other TV. You can usually get a used 301 cheap though just call Dish first to make sure the receiver R00 number is clear to be put on your account first.

nsafreak said:
It may look like a cable splitter but it's a more complicated piece of equipment. Yes you will need another receiver for your other TV. You can usually get a used 301 cheap though just call Dish first to make sure the receiver R00 number is clear to be put on your account first.

Yeah, i thought so about that. I knew I'd need another receiver but the 'card' that goes in might not work. What do i need to do to make sure it's all legit?

nsafreak said:
I fail to see how using a DPP-Twin would solve his issue Simon. Even if he did install one he'd have to run a separate cable to each receiver and you CAN NOT use a DPP seperator to run two single tuner units. You can use it on a dual tuner but that'd still leave him with the problem of first getting a dual tuner and then running a cable from it to his TV2 location.
Read both my post #6 AND post #9 - carefully.

Per the OP, he's in an apartment, and the landlord might give him trouble about a second feed cable, I was giving him a solution that just might be what he needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts