Extra RSN fees

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
I'm posting here because a new fee has come to light with Direct TV. But I want to make this Dish related.

It is being reported that some are getting something like a $1 per RSN fee added to their account in certain DMA's. It appears to be if multiple (I am thinking more than two) RSN's exist, and also if they are "expensive." To be honest I'm not sure anyone knows the actual criteria or how widespread the fees will be.

I would have to guess now that Direct admits what Dish has been saying all along, that they can not absorb the RSN fees any longer, that Dish may do something similar. This may mean the addition of the NY RSN's for instance.
What I hope is, that dish finds a way to make this only for people who actually want those channels. It appears to me (I admit I can not be sure from the few threads about it) that everyone pays in that DMA. It isn't going to be pretty if people who are with Dish because they don't care so much for sports, are not given a choice and have to pay dollars more a month.

To me the fee is fair, it's a start to what Dish has wanted, separate pricing for the RSN's. But you have to get them out of the packages then.

I certainly don't want to pay a fee because of a local RSN. I never watch sports.

This could be the tipping point for Sports free packs . If they start charging extra for RSNS on top of the programming packs price, I can see a lot of people demanding sports free versions of programming. I never have watched my RSN ,EVER.

Are they going to add channels to the sports package, or just increase the cost for the package? I have heard things that Dish will add Universal Sports Network, but will only get it in a Sports Pack. Isn't that what happened to Directv? If that is the only way of getting this one channel, that I want just in time for the London Olympics, then I will add it on to my channel lineup on Dish. I really want the channel.

RSnN's are a rip off to me and I am a sports fan at least football and basketball pro and college.We have 3 yea I said 3 Rsn's in our dma,Masn,Sportsouth,Fox Sports South.Can't watch any Atl.Hawks games,can't watch the Nsh,Predators,and most of the Cha.Bobcat games are blacked out.So why would anyone want to pay extra when the reality is you don't get anything extra.It does help at the college level adding a few more games,and gain a few Braves baseball games,but I don't like baseball.So 7 to 8 months of the year you get 3 channels of world poker tour or hunting/fishing shows.Waste of money imho.It's definitely not dish's or most other providers fault either.Its the leagues and or broadcasters that are to blame for being way too greedy.

It's time to take the least watched RSNs and drive them out of business by dropping them. I get having two separate. But in the days of overflow feeds, we don't need a situation like NYC where there are three. Be more like Chicago where either the game is on CSN or free on WGN. I live in a market with two. NESN is owned by the Red Sox and Bruins. CSN is a former FSN/Sports Channel/PRISIM channel. It's fine having two, but we really don't need both. CSN was useful in the days of the Hartford Whalers, but now without the Celtics, they're useless. I'm not saying get rid of it. But of I lived in a market with more than one, I'd mandate that I get to pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts