EZ Way to Add an a 2nd HD TV to a 622?

bamafamily

Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Probably a pretty easy answer to this...
Currently have a 622 running HD to TV#1 and SD to to TV#2
I also have OTA HD running on TV#1 / No locals on TV#2

I plan on upgrading my TV#2 to a 32" LCD in the near future.
I would like to check out options for both HD and Locals(HD) at TV#2

1) Buy a VIP 211 for the TV#2. I would then get HD and could split the OTA to TV#2 as well. I believe though that I would lose all my DVR content from TV#1 I am also unclear on the cabling ramifications to setup the VIP211. I assume it is not just an easy split job in the attic

2) Leave as is and just get SD content on a 720P LCD until

3) Dish comes out with a dual output receiver that has HD capabilities on both outputs. Is this anywhere in the Dish future??

Looking for opinions and thanks

bama

Last edited:
The hdmi and component feeds are both active. You could feed both tvs this way, but would have to watch the same thing on both.

Probably a pretty easy answer to this...
Currently have a 622 running HD to TV#1 and SD to to TV#2
I also have OTA HD running on TV#1 / No locals on TV#2

I plan on upgrading my TV#2 to a 32" LCD in the near future.
I would like to check out options for both HD and Locals(HD) at TV#2

1) Buy a VIP 211 for the TV#2. I would then get HD and could split the OTA to TV#2 as well. I believe though that I would lose all my DVR content from TV#1 I am also unclear on the cabling ramifications to setup the VIP211. I assume it is not just an easy split job in the attic

2) Leave as is and just get SD content on a 720P LCD until

3) Dish comes out with a dual output receiver that has HD capabilities on both outputs. Is this anywhere in the Dish future??

Looking for opinions and thanks

bama

Not sure what you mean by "I believe that I would lose all my DVR content from TV#1". If you are leaving the 622 as tv 1 only, tv 2 would not have access to the dvr, but you could leave the sd feed to tv 2 and still be able to view as you do now. Once the External Hard Drive feature is activate for the 211, You could view 622 dvr'ed programs on the 211 for a one time fee. Also, in order to wire the 211, you cannot split the existing coax run to the 622, you would need to run a rg-6 line from the Dish's lnb or switch (I wouldn't think you'd have a switch should you only have the one receiver).

Not sure what you mean by "I believe that I would lose all my DVR content from TV#1". If you are leaving the 622 as tv 1 only, tv 2 would not have access to the dvr, but you could leave the sd feed to tv 2 and still be able to view as you do now. Once the External Hard Drive feature is activate for the 211, You could view 622 dvr'ed programs on the 211 for a one time fee. Also, in order to wire the 211, you cannot split the existing coax run to the 622, you would need to run a rg-6 line from the Dish's lnb or switch (I wouldn't think you'd have a switch should you only have the one receiver).

Yes..I meant I would lose access to my DVR recordings for TV#2...
I am assuming you mean that I would physically have to move the external hard drive from my TV#1 (which I currently dont have activated) to TV#2 (if I had a 211 with Ext HD activated)

Any news on a dual HD output tuner?? (aka 822??)

Last edited:
I had the same situation. I decided to swap my 622 for two 612s (Dish charged me $50). There are a few drawbacks to the 612 compared to the 622 but to me they are minor and I now have an HD-DVR in both my living room and my bedroom.

I had the same situation. I decided to swap my 622 for two 612s (Dish charged me $50). There are a few drawbacks to the 612 compared to the 622 but to me they are minor and I now have an HD-DVR in both my living room and my bedroom.

I am assuming that the $50 is a one time fee...
What is the delta to the normal bill?? Extra DVR fee??
Also, that means that TV#1 and TV#2 have different recordings

hmmmm..and thx for the info

There are a few drawbacks to the 612 compared to the 622 but to me they are minor and I now have an HD-DVR in both my living room and my bedroom.
By draw backs theres no PIP and you can't subscribe to any of the Dish Games in the interactive features yet. But I agree Minor draw backs.

I had a 622 hooked to a 37" Philips 768p for about a year with the tv-2 option. Its not that bad, Really if it was I wouldn't have waited 1 year to get my 2nd 612. I'm not sure I would go with a much bigger HD TV though using the TV-2 output then a 37". And your going with a 32" so I don't think it will be as bad as you might think.

On a 32" set it doesn't look bad at all. I have the 480i output of my 622 going to a 27" LCD panel and it looks ok from a normal viewing distance. The only problem is the built-in tuner on the 27" set is not very good, so I use an old VCR to tune in the TV2 feed. If you want both the OTA channels and the TV2 feed off the 622 you will need either 2 cables going to your other set or an expensive channel inserter setup. I have been lazy about putting that second cable in so at the moment I use a manual antenna switch in the garage to switch between TV2 and antenna.

And BTW you can have BOTH! If you get that 612 for the second room you can keep the TV2 feed from the 622 in place and use that to watch stuff you recorded on it on your 2nd TV. It won't be in HD but in most instances it won't matter that much on the 32" set. If you really wanted to get fancy you could have an RF feed coming from the 612 going to your living room too, so you could share recordings in both rooms.

I am assuming that the $50 is a one time fee...
What is the delta to the normal bill?? Extra DVR fee??
Also, that means that TV#1 and TV#2 have different recordings

hmmmm..and thx for the info

$50 is a one time fee. I have the AEP, so the extra DVR fee is waived but I do have a $7 leased receiver fee. Different recordings on both means double my recording time too.

On a 32" set it doesn't look bad at all.

I agree. My parents have TV2 of their 622 going to a 32" 720p Toshiba. There is a difference compared to HD, but from a distance and on a 32", it's not that noticable. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 32" unless you're watching it from a longer distance.

And BTW you can have BOTH! If you get that 612 for the second room you can keep the TV2 feed from the 622 in place and use that to watch stuff you recorded on it on your 2nd TV. It won't be in HD but in most instances it won't matter that much on the 32" set. If you really wanted to get fancy you could have an RF feed coming from the 612 going to your living room too, so you could share recordings in both rooms.

LOL....thx for the info Snyder...Like I needed more variables to consider....
I suppose I could just get the 32" LCD, put it up and see for myself what it would look like....

Now...with the TV2 feed coming in RG6 into the current TV, I dont really have a place for the OTA input...BUT ...with a new LCD, I assume I have a few different input options.....

Also..come to think of it, I think the guy ran an extra feed from the LNB/Switch for future expansion.....

another option

You can run you main set with the HDMI connection. Then it is possible to run a 5 wire component cable to the 2nd TV in bdrm. You can get the 5 wire cable at a good price at HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! You can get wall plates to mount the connectors using Leviton at Home Depot. They have a wall plate that has 6 ports on it. You then would be able to buy 5 RCA to RCA connectors on both plates for the component & you can get 1 coax barrel connector for both plates to run the TV ant or TV output split to the bdrm set. It's is some work but will give you HD at both your sets from 1 VIP622.

ok...so say I resign my self to just using the current TV2 output for the new LCD..
Questions..

1) What would be the best way to interface an OTA connection into the LCD in conjunction with the VIP622 input?

2) I assume that HD recorded items on the 622 will still only playback in SD on the LCD?? (versus Realtime)

thanks
bama

ok...so say I resign my self to just using the current TV2 output for the new LCD..
Questions..

1) What would be the best way to interface an OTA connection into the LCD in conjunction with the VIP622 input?

2) I assume that HD recorded items on the 622 will still only playback in SD on the LCD?? (versus Realtime)

thanks
bama
Combine your tv2 cable with the ota cable using a splitter in reverse. And your dvr playback will be in sd on tv2. But I have a 32 LCD for my 2nd tv and it looks really good. I am very happy with the picture. Picture quality on sd is good and when original source was hd, I can easily tell the difference.

Combine your tv2 cable with the ota cable using a splitter in reverse. And your dvr playback will be in sd on tv2. But I have a 32 LCD for my 2nd tv and it looks really good. I am very happy with the picture. Picture quality on sd is good and when original source was hd, I can easily tell the difference.

Do I need a special (combiner, duplexer, inverted splitter) to carry both signals??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)