Family Package Channels not able to go back 48Hours

spvideo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007

I just read in the IPTV tech support area that the SA IPTV Family Package channels are not able to go back up to 48 hours like the Faith Package channels.
SA does not have the rights to air programming in that package outside of the regular scheduled time. That's a bummer.:(

Still that is one of the "advantages" sky angel has been pushing for IPTV. Seems they keep changing those QA.

SA does not have the rights to air programming in that package outside of the regular scheduled time.

Yea, cause it's not like people have a life and want viewing to be more convenient to their personal schedules.

I have a feeling that technically even recording to DVD Ram Disk or DVR would technically be a violation of someone's TOS.

I have a feeling that technically even recording to DVD Ram Disk or DVR would technically be a violation of someone's TOS.

I doubt that. The movie compaines had a fit to ban VCRs in the beginning thinking it would hurt business. There was a court decision made that if something is broadcast into your home, you can make a copy as long as you don't profit finacially from it.

Court decision: Supreme Court Rules Home Use of VCRs Okay

EXCEPT that I know for a fact the Amazon unBox rentals state NO VCR copies are allowed and your rental license ONLY covers a 24 hour window of viewing once you first hit play on the Tivo.

So again they seem to be trying to skirt the ruling with TOS language.

Perhaps not, but it does raise an ethical question.

The world was a much simpler place when there weren't so many shades of grey. :)

Perhaps not, but it does raise an ethical question.

The world was a much simpler place when there weren't so many shades of grey. :)

Hmmmm I don't see TOS as something ethical or not unless you specifically agree to them. Many companies just send you a pamphlet no one reads. Companies are free to put up rules and we are free to pick and choose which ones we like/follow UNLESS we agree to such rules. Some companies just say, "Don't use our service if you don't intend to abide by the rules," but again that's a wish not a deal breaker. I don't see taking a drink bottle into a movie theater a breach of ethics even though there is a sign in the front stating not to. It's not a law, and purchasing the ticket is not an agreement between me and the theater of anything except my watching the movie, and their showing it. If you get caught, yes you can be asked to leave, but you have broken no agreement or law.

It's on the screen before you hit play.

IOW they are granting you no license to record in any form, for any purpose.

That's just it, by law they don't have a right to limit what you record. You cannot take a movie DVD you buy or rent and make another DVD out of it, even if you don't make money from it. Anything broadcast by law is available to be recorded for your own home use and even though the company tells you it's not giving you a license to do so, that does not limit the law.

EVER hear of DMCA?

And that's just it. Under the VCR copy rulings you could copy for most any personal reasons limited to non-distribution. But I'm told that under a broader interpretation of DMCA you can't even legally make personal archival copies of purchased DVDs or games.

And the media distribution companies seem to desire to hold any line they can, any way they can, when it comes to HD technologies. In fact Tivo can't even get permission to record in HD via a satalite provider.

So like I said, in the old days at least when you were committing a crime you KNEW you were committing a crime. Now we have grandmothers having to settle for monetary damages because some teenages allegedly distributed a few songs to friends, with the alternative being to fight a lopsided battle in the courts.

I believe you are allowed to make a copy of your games, one copy as a backup, but no, the courts seem to be prohibiting the copying of DVDs:

Burning Backup DVDs Ruled Illegal - Feb. 24, 2004

Fred von Lohmann, senior staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, explained that the DMCA applies only to "protected" digital content, meaning discs that have been encrypted in an obviously unsuccessful attempt to prevent copying. "DVDs are really the first mass market media form that is protected," he said.

Anything on the screen is put there by the company that wishes you to abide by it's TOS. A company can't tell you not to record it for your own personal use or their TOS can't because a company has to abide by the law just like you and me. A company can't make rules or TOS to override a law, if that were possible, think of what they as well as other companies would try to get away with.

Laws can be enforced. Companies rules and their TOS only can be enforced by restricting use without penalty of the user and that would take $$$$ out of their coffers

Ah! But is it ethical? If you agree to rent something and by renting agree to abide by certain conditions is it ethical to violate those conditions just because you're not legally bound to follow them????

;)

Ah! But is it ethical? If you agree to rent something and by renting agree to abide by certain conditions is it ethical to violate those conditions just because you're not legally bound to follow them????

;)

Well of course not, it's not ethical at all! I was just commenting on what was legal and what recourse a business had in case their rules were violated. A business is hoping that they can put out their rules and people will follow their rules. If they ask everyone that joined their club or rented their products and got everyone to sign a waiver, and the people signed it, they wouldn't have any business, people just wouldn't do it cause they want to do what they want to do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)