Fan suffers life-threatening injuries after being struck by broken bat

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...d-by-broken-bat-at-fenway-park-235642000.html

How far does the protective netting go? My prayers go out for her recovery. They expanded protective netting in the NHL after ONE teenage girl in the stands was hit in the chest by a puck & killed. MLB needs to come up with something to protect the fans & prevent the possibility of this ever happening again,pretty much IMMEDIATELY. I UNDERSTAND that this was a fluke,but if she dies.........

The MLB has both a legal & moral obligation to protect the fans from both foul balls & flying bats(or bat parts) when they are sitting in the "danger zone." If a fan cannot see because of the protective netting being in their way,I suggest that they find another seat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...d-by-broken-bat-at-fenway-park-235642000.html

How far does the protective netting go? My prayers go out for her recovery. They expanded protective netting in the NHL after ONE teenage girl in the stands was hit in the chest by a puck & killed. MLB needs to come up with something to protect the fans & prevent the possibility of this ever happening again,pretty much IMMEDIATELY. I UNDERSTAND that this was a fluke,but if she dies.........
Would you like protective netting covering ALL areas a bat or ball could be hit ?

This is a case of something happening at the moment and the over reaction to follow ...

Lets cover the entire infield and outfield with netting so theres No possible way for anything to happen.

Yes, I hope she comes thru fine, thers already reports that the Life Threating injuries was over blown, she is improving, now I'm not saying that it wasn't serious, because it was, but people have a way of over blowing the situation when it's something that just happened ...

Hopefully she will be fine.

Tickets to sporting events state that the holder has a responsibility for being aware of their surroundings and events occurring around them. In those areas of a baseball park where a baseball or other game equipment could impinge on the spectators without a chance for them to react in time, a physical barrier (netting, screening, or plexiglass) is erected to safeguard them.

So is it possible that a broken bat could hit the net point-first and pass right through the net without slowing down enough to prevent injuries? A freak occurrence that could happen next inning or never.

So is watching a baseball game in person too dangerous? If you feel threatened you can always watch the game on TV or pick seats far enough away from the batter that you have a chance to duck or catch the ball.

Reactions: Jimbo
Tickets to sporting events state that the holder has a responsibility for being aware of their surroundings and events occurring around them. In those areas of a baseball park where a baseball or other game equipment could impinge on the spectators without a chance for them to react in time, a physical barrier (netting, screening, or plexiglass) is erected to safeguard them.

So is it possible that a broken bat could hit the net point-first and pass right through the net without slowing down enough to prevent injuries? A freak occurrence that could happen next inning or never.

So is watching a baseball game in person too dangerous? If you feel threatened you can always watch the game on TV or pick seats far enough away from the batter that you have a chance to duck or catch the ball.
I see this happening all the time ...
Many women go to the games with thier husbands, family, or group and they want to chit chat instead of paying attention to the game action .... sitting anywhere down either line upper or lower decks could be effected.

I don't know if this had anything to do with this incident, but it happens all the time at baseball games.

Lots of overreaction here to an unfortunate event. A woman was injured in Pittsburgh in April when she was leaning against the screen behind home plate and a foul ball hit her in the head. There's only so much that can be done....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you like protective netting covering ALL areas a bat or ball could be hit ?

This is a case of something happening at the moment and the over reaction to follow ...

Lets cover the entire infield and outfield with netting so theres No possible way for anything to happen.

Yes, I hope she comes thru fine, thers already reports that the Life Threating injuries was over blown, she is improving, now I'm not saying that it wasn't serious, because it was, but people have a way of over blowing the situation when it's something that just happened ...

Hopefully she will be fine.
I either read or heard somewhere that she was sitting near the 3rd base dugout. Expand the netting as far as the dugout,if they are not already,the area considered the "danger zone."

I either read or heard somewhere that she was sitting near the 3rd base dugout. Expand the netting as far as the dugout,if they are not already,the area considered the "danger zone."
I have sat in upper decks third base past the bag and dugout, if your not paying attention, your in a danger zone regardless.

I have sat in upper decks third base past the bag and dugout, if your not paying attention, your in a danger zone regardless.
I understand that you can't foresee every potential disaster in any sport,there's always the chance that the upper deck in a sports stadium or arena could collapse,astronomical chance(unless you live in a 3rd world country),but a chance. I'm talking more protection along the ground level from flying missile bats & line drive foul balls,not the arcing ones. I'm just saying advance the netting to the uncovered areas with the greatest statistical possibility of flying objects(bats,balls) hitting the fans. It looks like that woman will recover,but it would have been a HUGE P.R. disaster if she was killed,AND the MLB would have been hard pressed to do something. i thought maybe plexiglass,like in ice hockey,but the cost no doubt would be prohibitive. I still remember when there was no protection barrier for the players in the dugout.

My wife and I were approx 20 rows behind and a little to the left of this unfortunate event the other night. One of the scariest and most grotesque things I have ever witnessed. It literally brought me to tears to see her son screaming and so upset. So happy that this woman is gonna be alright from a life threatening perspective. Cosmo said it best, unfortunately there is only so much you can do to keep everyone safe. It sucks, but sometimes you really are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's TRUE ...

When guys are talking at a game, they are at least paying attention to what is going on on the field.
18ol134lheksojpg.jpg

18qhxqem88bm0jpg.jpg

Reactions: Ronnie-
@MaureenaMullen: Statement from Tonya Carpenter's family:
"Tonya is responsive, and her condition has been upgraded from serious to fair."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)