Farthest Satellite Reached

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Electro960

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hello. I'm in the process of installing my first BUD and curious to find out the farthest satellite one has reached (and dish size), especially from those on the east and west coast. Sorry in advanced if this thread has already been covered.

Well I'm in the middle rather than on a coast, but my 1.8m (HH motor), 3m (HH motor) and 3.2m (24" actuator) can all see about +/- 70 degrees from my longitude. That's 35W to 175W, but in terms of birds, there is only 37.5W to 139W. My 2.3m (18" actuator) can't quite reach 37.5W, but 139W is easy.

Hello. I'm in the process of installing my first BUD and curious to find out the farthest satellite one has reached (and dish size), especially from those on the east and west coast. Sorry in advanced if this thread has already been covered.

Electro,

While I do not have a BUD and am only concentrating on Ku band at this time and I am right in the center of the US (basically). I am able to align to sats from 148.0W (when it was there) over to 30.0W.

RADAR

Check out the PDF

RADAR,

Does that mean you were able to pick up programming in Asia (or close to it)?? How cool is that?
Check out the PDF, the red line is the equator, and most likly your most True South (TS) satellite is around 74W. As you go east and west of that point the elevation drops to almost pointing into the earth. At the top of this page is a link to dishpointer.com, put your location in and see where these sats are located in relationship to your location. Also check out www.lyngsat.com and see whats on those satellites. The best you can do is sats from 15W to 148W, depending if you are doing C band or KU band.
Mike Lib in South Jersey

BTW you can't get Asian Sats from your location.

Attachments

• New_boeing_sat_drawing.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 232
I am able to align to sats from 148.0W (when it was there) over to 30.0W.

Same deal with the 10 footer in my avatar before my kid tagged it with the Kubota...
My line of sight is good from 11 to 165 (gets into the trees at 11), but I've only managed to get signal down to 30W, couldn't ever get a clear signal lower than that.
But, of course, that's including sliding the actuator back and forth in the clamp to extend the range...
I know there are some birds in my line of sight past 30, but they apparently aren't pointing my direction...

Same deal with the 10 footer in my avatar before my kid tagged it with the Kubota...
My line of sight is good from 11 to 165 (gets into the trees at 11), but I've only managed to get signal down to 30W, couldn't ever get a clear signal lower than that.
But, of course, that's including sliding the actuator back and forth in the clamp to extend the range...
I know there are some birds in my line of sight past 30, but they apparently aren't pointing my direction...

Theoretically, from 96.4'W longitude, I should be able to have a LOS to 22'W or maybe even as far east as 18'W (that is stretching the margin), but they don't beam any signals my way, as far as I know, so I cannot really test them either.

RADAR

roughly:

If you use any satellite calculator, and put in your location, it will list the birds you can see.
They will be listed with different directions (azimuth) and elevations.

As a rule of thumb (not counting local mountains or trees/buildings), you might be able to see satellites to the east and to the west, which have an elevation in the sky of maybe 20° or higher.
With some effort, you may be able to get birds which appear as low on YOUR horizon, as 10°.

Obviously, the set of satellites everyone can see is a little different.

If you are on the water at the east coast, you may get a very low shot over the Atlantic.
However, do any of the birds YOU can see, actually beam a signal out to the USA?
After some point, they don't.

Don't know if this site was listed above, but it's got some good info on both Ku and C-band satellites.

Birdview 8 1/2 foot solid. West Coast . Trees and mountains but still can get 55.5 west to 148 west when that sat was working. I could probable get something in the 160s if there was anything worth getting there.

On Cband I can go from 72w to 133w on KU I can go from 72W to 129W. Nothing lower than 72W because a the neighbors mass of overgrown trees.
I'd love to get 30w. Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)