Fate of Sky Angel Channels on Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I posted this in the Dish forum and it was suggested I cross post it here.
As most of you already know, Sky Angel satellite service is scheduled to end at the end of March, only 7 short days from this posting. Here is the fate of the channels if everything stays on course:
-----------------------

SKY ANGEL channels. If you do not subscribe to SKY ANGEL you are not affected.

Red= Gone, unavailable with Dish equipment after March 31.
Green = Still available nationally on Dish equipment
Blue = Limited availablility on Dish equipment

TV Channels:
9701 Angel One - Will continue to be on Dish channel 262 for all subscribers
9702 Angel 2 - Will presumably be added to Dish Channel 266
9703 Kids and Teens TV (KTV) & Spirit TV - Will presumably be added to Dish channel 264

9705 TVU (Television U)

9707 Guardian TV Network (WSFJ TV 51 Newark/Columbus, OH) -- Will continue to be available to Dish Columbus, OH local subscribers on Dish Channel 7207

9708 FaithTV

9709 Trinity Broadcast Network - Will continue to be available to Dish subscribers on Dish channel 260

9711 Safe TV (KSBN TV 57 Springdale, Ar)

9712 Cornerstone TV (WPCB TV 40 Pittsburgh, PA) -- Will continue to be available to Pittsbugh and Johnstown local subscribers on Dish channels 8137 & 7472.

9714 Total Living Network
9716 The Liberty Network WTLU-CA 19 (Lynchberg, Va)
9717 Gospel Music Channel

9718 Fox News Channel (will continue to be available on Dish Network AT200 and Dish Family Packages channel 205)
9720 HGTV (Will continue to be available on Dish Network AT100, HD and Dish Family Packages.
9729 Hallmark Channel (Will continue to be available on Dish Network AT100 and Dish Family Packages channel 185)
9730 Hallmark Movie Channel (Will continue to be available on Dish Network AT250 and Dish Family Packages channel 187)

9732 Worship

Radio Channels:
9750 Children's Sonshine Radio
9751 Oasis Radio Network
9752 God Listens Radio
9753 Radio U
9754 WAY-FM
9755 Today's Christian Music Radio
9760 America's Talk Radio
9762 Calvary Satellite Radio
9764 KTLW The Living Way Radio
9765 Moody Broadcasting Radio
9770 Solid Gospel Radio
9771 Sacred Favorites Radio
9772 Voice of Hope (from Jerusalem)
9773 Z - 73 KDAZ-AM Albuquerque, NM
9780 Radio Nueva Vida
9781 Bott Radio Network

Thanks !!! Very Helpful

I'm really going to miss (GTN) Guardian TV Network - I hope someone picks it up Nationally.

Looking more and more like GloryStar is a very good alternative to SkyAngel as some of these channels are now available via GloryStar.

Thanks. Well now we know.

Like many here I was holding out a tiny bit of unrealistic hope of perhaps a last minute reprieve, more of the channels being retained, or at the very least Dish just continuing to air the channels on 61.5 until the new bird comes online. But as I saw the big change in the guide last night I knew it was the final curtain call and these channels were indeed now history on Dish.

:(

I tried the Family Pak and am not too impressed. I emailed many times about the Dish Essentials Pak, as it has more programming I like for less money, and have met with deafening silence so far. I would lose Fox News but anymore it has gone so downhill I wouldn't shed too many tears over that. I thought that perhaps more of the SA channels would be added to at least Family, but now it seems that will not be so.

I tried free Cinemax for a penny because it had some movies I had wanted to see and hey it's free! but with many more NA/ RO movies (know what I mean?) than I had anticipated I am now seeing why many posters in the soon to be defunct SA forum were raising concern. So the value of that programming to me is now questionable - even free.

Oddly, I listened to a different than normal SA radio channel to sleep by (I forget which one) and at some point in the night it switched to the audio portion of some nationally known TV preachers I don't usually watch. The more I heard the less I liked what I was hearing. Oddly, these ministries are some of the cornerstones of the new IPTV Faith Pak. So maybe I made a better choice for me personally to not sign up for IPTV.

So it looks like if I can get it I will be switching to the $9 Dish Essentials just to have my locals via DBS without paying the access fee (comes to less than cable for locals only) and any channels from the old SA Pak I happen to retain will just be a bonus.

I guess it's time to get crackin' on putting up my FTA dish to receive GloryStar.

I just checked Dish's web site. They have added Angel 2 at channel 264 and KTV at channel 264. The web site shows these were only added to the AT100 and up packages, not to Dish Family.

Looks like KTV will be part of the free "Public Interest" channel package. Not sure why Angel Two isn't, at least at this time. Perhaps because Angel Two has special events, such as concerts and conferences, that make it valuable enough to only be part of a paid package?

DISH Network -- Channels

FWIW - I am predicting that (at least) Angel One, Angel Two, and KTV will *not* immediately leave 61.5 on 3/31. These three channels do not have the shutdown message on them, as all the others do. I think they may remain available for at least another month, if not indefinitely. Furthermore, from the looks of it, anyone with a 61.5 dish and at least the "Free PI Pack" on their account may be able to receive Angel One & KTV from 61.5 even if they don't subscribe to any higher Dish package.

Also, note that 3ABN is now carried directly through Dish as a PI channel, and therefore, 3ABN will not be going anywhere. So, there may be as many as four channels of SA* "Classic" DBS still available after 3/31 at 61.5.

I will miss the Worship Channel. But at least I can get it off of a local DTV sub channel between 12 midnight and 5 AM, and on line, I can hear the sound.

How about 3ABN? My inlaws have Sky Angel now and cannot get the IP service since they can't get broadband. I'm trying to get them Glorystar. But in the meantime I've heard that 3ABN will still come in for them as it always has since it's a "public interest" channel? True? Any other Sky Angel channels that will still be available with their dish they have now?

Note I know nothing about Dish Network so I just want to know what channels they might still get once Sky Angel shuts down next week. They are not Dish subs and don't want to be.

3ABN should still be there, as it was dropped from SA some time ago and became a Dish channel.

3ABN should still be there, as it was dropped from SA some time ago and became a Dish channel.
Yeah, but Shibby is talking about what is soon to be an un-subbed receiver. I don't think you can receive the PI channels or 3ABN any longer using an un-subbed receiver. The shopping channels went "free" recently, but those too are not available from an un-subbed receiver unless I am seriously confused. You can get Angel 1 and NASA, and the Dish info channels. But that's about it.

Yeah, but Shibby is talking about what is soon to be an un-subbed receiver. I don't think you can receive the PI channels or 3ABN any longer using an un-subbed receiver. The shopping channels went "free" recently, but those too are not available from an un-subbed receiver unless I am seriously confused. You can get Angel 1 and NASA, and the Dish info channels. But that's about it.

I'll kill 2 birds with one stone......I have a previously subbed but no longer 811 that I use for digital OTA channels. Here is what I can get (system still aimed at 110/119/61.5)

Angel One? Yes
NASA? Yes
Dish 101? Yes
Sirius Preview channel? Yes
Knockoff Shopping channels between 216-229? Yes
3ABN? No
CCTV9/CCTV E& F? No
Free preview channels? No...Dish has some free preview channels that show grey in the box (so I can select them) but its just a black screen..no picture

3ABN will not come in on an unsubbed box. You have to sub to SOMETHING

You have to sub to SOMETHING
Agreed, the question is what will be the minimum package. i.e. will locals and essentials packages get you the PI channels. We will probably have to wait and see, unless someone knows.
Bob

They're also in the 9390 area. Those will be the DIshFamily channels for it

Where? I have some channels in the 9300s but not those. I have both Dish Family & the Info Pak and have 119/ 110/ 61.5 positions.

Agreed, the question is what will be the minimum package. i.e. will locals and essentials packages get you the PI channels. We will probably have to wait and see, unless someone knows.
Bob

I use to have just locals (it was for the receiver at the cabin) and was able to add the PI pack with no issues.

I know of someone who has just RFDTV (for 1.99 + 6 buck fee) and added the PI pack

Free Public Interest Programming Package
These channels are available free of charge on request to all Dish Network customers on request regardless of subscription level.
However you must be a subscriber/customer in good standing.

That may have changed recently, I know for a fact I have some unsubbed receivers that got 3ABN last time I checked, which was probably a month or so ago.

I use to have just locals (it was for the receiver at the cabin) and was able to add the PI pack with no issues.

I know of someone who has just RFDTV (for 1.99 + 6 buck fee) and added the PI pack

Free Public Interest Programming Package

Gee now for $3 more than the fee you could have the Essentials channels. Especially since it has AMC & TBS and some other goodies. I'm partial to The History Channel myself.

Ok, so I am new here and have been looking. Can anyone tell me if they have heard if this website?

hicows.com/spirit

Appears to be a satellite service with some good channels...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I am new here and have been looking. Can anyone tell me if they have heard if this website?

hicows.com/spirit

Appears to be a satellite service with some good channels...

its a cheap ripoff version of Glorystar.

I just checked out the site......they list a few channels on Galaxy 25 but there are so many more. The equipment looks kinda yeesh....that receiver they show is bunk. Basically they are trying to make a quick buck by selling some FTA setups that you could get cheaper at other places ;)

Honestly if you want to go that way, check out the Glorystar forum (forum below this one). They have more info :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts