What will you do when Sky Angel DBS ends?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcourt

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
I thought it would be interesting to see what others are considering as their solution to the SkyAngel dilemma. Personally, I already have Directv Family, which includes: World Harvest Television, GOD TV, Daystar, TBN, The Word, NRB, TCT and EWTN. I am holding on to SkyAngel until DBS ends, then I will add Glorystar.

I do plan to go to SA IPTV. Since they are making the receiver free for an 18-mo. commitment, I see it as worth $14.99/mo. to get the service. I am also a "techie" and just intrigued by new technologies. I hope they will choose me for the beta testing, it would fascinate me! If for some reason SA doesn't make it to 18 months, I'm still willing to take the risk and enjoy the service month-by-month for as long as it is there.

I know I can get many/most of the TV/radio channels on-line (in fact, I've already added most to my Internet "Favorites"), so I don't view my $14.99/mo. as paying to receive the channels, but as paying for:

- Convenience of accessing all channels in one spot with a remote, programming guide, ability to watch programs from the last 48 hours without taping.

- Added programming - Sky Angel 2 especially - they broadcast conferences, concerts, etc. I would not receive otherwise. Additionally, Sacred Favorites will not be available on-line, possibly other programming as well.

- Greater likelihood that I will choose to fill my days with God's Word. I could do it free on-line, but would I? Definitely not as much if I have to log onto the site, click several times to get the video/audio started, etc.

For me, those reasons alone make SA IPTV well worth $14.99/mo.

When you consider that DirecTV and Dish have had struggles along the way, it seems more than likely that the DBS business is out of reach long-term for a small player. I am fully persuaded that if Bob Johnson, Sr. was alive in 2007, he would come to the same conclusion. How could his vision include technologies that were not even a glimmer in anyone's mind years ago? His vision wasn't for a method, it was for an outcome.

I know people who thought Sky Angel would be great, but felt too overwhelmed by the idea that they had to get a dish, buy a receiver, maybe get professional installation help. Many also didn't understand that they could have SA and still have other cable or satellite service. I've had cable all along. Now I can tell friends who do have high-speed that they can have SA without the "hassle."

I do feel bad for those who for whatever reason cannot get high-speed Internet. It's an unfortunate consequence of a decision that I have concluded was unavoidable for SA. Their choice wasn't about taking the service away from rural customers -- it was about finding a way to continue offering SA to anyone at all. I'm confident the Lord will provide alternative means of accessing Christian programming for anyone who wants to "eat" His Word daily. That will be part of Glorystar's particular niche -- thank God for them.

And, of course, it's true that Christians, not non-Christians, will make up SA's market base. However, as I take in a steady diet of God's Word and grow to be more Christ-like, I am then better equipped to reach the non-believers in my particular universe. Even in enjoying Christian programming, it is still not just about me!

Last edited:
boy will this thread title be misunderstood when it appears on the front page!

In our very rural area, we now have the option to upgrade to a faster internet speed. I have read that there can be IPTV reception problems even with the higher speeds and use of computers. I would not sign up for SA IPTV at all if The Liberty Channel was not signed on. I would also not take a chance on the 18 month committment since I have no idea if DH's computer use would interfere with reception (he's in IT and must do major online projects from home at times). If the box was a rental for say $5 a month with no committment, then later you could decide to buy the box (also with no long term committment) I would probably give it a try for a month or two.

Given what we know now from these boards that SA DBS will end in about 3 months or so, if that long, we are planning on going to Dish DVR Advantage. We would have to cancel our Netflix to keep from overspending on entertaiment if we go with Dish. If SA makes a good deal open to the public, we might try that first, as I said above. We won't be doing Glorystar as it has few Protastant, English speaking channels.

I will personally consider taking a "Dish Faith & Family" package if they offer one. Otherwise, I have looked into online streaming and podcasts, and while this could be a greater part of my Christian radio & TV than it is now, it's not a complete solution. While I would really not appreciate the hassle of putting up another dish, I think I would go with Glorystar and a PVR receiver before SA IPTV.

The main channels I watch on SA* are the music video channels, and the only one that doesn't stream online for free is the Gospel Music Channel (lowercase "g").

I also have to admit that at some point I plan to move, and then I would consider a Skyvision X4 DSR 410 system if they are still available. The packages seem very competitive, especially since even the lower tier includes programming like BBC America & Discovery theme channels that are usually only on higher tier packages with every other provider.

I plan on going with Sky Angel IPTV.

I do hope they will offer the NRB channel as well as FamilyNet TV and FamilyNet Radio; I would also like to see The Liberty Channel remain.

Programs I would like to see/hear somewhere on SA are the Grace to You television program with John MacArthur and the daily Way of the Master Radio program.

Jeff

glorystar

I thought it would be interesting to see what others are considering as their solution to the SkyAngel dilemma. Personally, I already have Directv Family, which includes: World Harvest Television, GOD TV, Daystar, TBN, The Word, NRB, TCT and EWTN. I am holding on to SkyAngel until DBS ends, then I will add Glorystar.

hi, i already bought glorystar and enjoying it very much. i also have directv
and of course my internet radio and tv too. i'm a satellite geek and love fta
i had a c/ku band system before skyangel. :):):):)
god bless
john

Probably glorystar unless DISH comes out with a low cost Christian package. As lifetimers we can't afford to have a monthly tv bill and a high speed connection besides.

I have been watching HOPE channel and Smile of a child online and have been impressed with both.

I have a lifetime subscription and if they don't honor it I may join in a class action lawsuit that, I'm sure, someone will file.

I'm a lifetimer and will reserve judgement based on what course SA takes with their lifetimer subs. I'd hate to join a class action suit but looks like SA is doomed to breach their contract with us. Not sure still if I would join in a suit, only reason would be to try to keep SA from doing something similar to others down the road when everything doesn't work out like they promised, but certainly wouldn't look forward to it.

SA DBS is going OOB, so a lawsuit is not going to work. The contracts are for the lifetime of the service. When the service is OOB, there is no breech of contract. My inlaws have loved having SA as they were among the original lifetime subscribers. It would never occur to them to sue SA.

i would have to increase the speed of internet from 1.5 to 3.0 which would would cost me $ 15 more, if i can get a discount for being a lifetime sub i would get sa iptv faith and family 24.99 less discount if possible.
Family side is for weather, news, discovery, and block hallmark movies pg and above. I dont like waiting for cuss words to come up in the movie.
If not it will be Direct family or dishfamily and block channels.

So Skyangel if your monitoring give the lifetimes a break, there might be quite a few of us.

When the service is OOB, there is no breech of contract.

Your lack of knowledge of the law is starting to make you really look silly here. I suggest that you read the lifetime agreement and talk to someone who is knowledgable in that area and stop trusting what Sky Angel is telling people because it just isn't (lawfully) correct.

My inlaws have loved having SA as they were among the original lifetime subscribers. It would never occur to them to sue SA.

Your inlaws are what con artists call "suckers". And Sky Angel is the same way. They KNOW that a lot of religious people won't sue, no matter what Sky ANgel does, and no matter what the subscriber's contract says. However, there are enough lifetime subscribers like me that WILL do "something", and that "something" is we will likely join a class action law suit.

Your lack of knowledge of the law is starting to make you really look silly here. I suggest that you read the lifetime agreement and talk to someone who is knowledgable in that area and stop trusting what Sky Angel is telling people because it just isn't (lawfully) correct.

Your inlaws are what con artists call "suckers". And Sky Angel is the same way. They KNOW that a lot of religious people won't sue, no matter what Sky ANgel does, and no matter what the subscriber's contract says. However, there are enough lifetime subscribers like me that WILL do "something", and that "something" is we will likely join a class action law suit.

I'm not the one looking silly. You are on a mission to sue a company for something you cannot win. I doubt more than 5 other people in the whole US would join in such a lawsuit, and few of those will have the staying power to follow through all the hurdles to a big trial like that. You claim to have spoken with a lawyer. That does not mean you are correct in your views on what would or would not win a case. The fact is there is nothing on earth that falls under a "lifetime" contract that does not have loopholes. Even marriages sworn before God are contracts people break every day in the US. Courts have decided contracts can be broken under certain circumstances. SA running out of funds and ceasing transmission is going to be seen by the courts as a business failure, not a breach of contract.

My inlaws are business people. They have run businesses and know that businesses can fail and the customer is not going to have recourse in most cases. How many businesses have you started from the ground up and kept going? How many irate customers have you dealt with to the customer's satisfaction?

You are on a mission to sue a company for something you cannot win. I doubt more than 5 other people in the whole US would join in such a lawsuit.

That again just shows your lack of knowledge about lawsuiits. People and companies don't always sue to win. Lawsuits are quite often used to make known to potential customers of the sued company that the company is not honest in the eyes of their current customers. Quite often THAT costs the company more (in way fewer new customers) than the amount that the lawsuit is about. Many a company has went out of business after they won a lawsuit because people no longer trust them. Sky Angel could be joining that group.

And, as for the numbers , you are wrong. I know at least a dozen lifetime subscribers from my church and other local churches that will join IF Sky Angel does not honor our lifetime subscriptions. That is just local people. Once word gets out (and MOST Sky Angel know nothing about this yet) there will be lots more people that join a class action.

Its all up to Sky Angel. All that they have to do is what is honest; honor the lifetime subscritions.

There is also Glorystar. They are free to air. Equipment is $199.00 plus installation, programing is no charge. They have 40 Channels weather it's quality "Christian" programming depends on biblical knowledge.

There is also Glorystar.

The problem with the equipment that they sell is that they modify the FTA receiver software so that you can only get the channels on their approved list. You can buy the same FTA receiver (or system) that they sell from another vendor (at a lower price) that is not limited to only the channels that their software allows you to get. There are MANY more FTA channels that a lot of people would find of interest. Not all of them are religious of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)