Favorite List Options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
Just wondering if Dish could add one more global option. One of my family members consistently fails to choose the HD option for channels that are in HD. This drives me crazy for several reasons that are not germain to this posting.
My thought is to create a global
option that will display all subed channels, but if a channel is offered in both HD and SD only the HD option will be listed. Maybe it could called ALL HD + SD ONLY. Yes I could make a custom favorites list however I could do the same for all HD but there is an option for that!

Ross
Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Hey R0ss, that feature is actually available only on the 922 only currently. There's a setting that shows all sub channels, but shows HD if available so no double ups. I'll forward it to see if we can adapt it for other model of receivers.

Thanks, it really is great having the IRT here.

Ross

Why not make a favorites list (if yours does not do what I describe below) of all channels you would possibly watch, only put in the HD versions, along with any SD only channels? I didn't get why not from your answer....

By the way, my receiver DOES go to the HD version if both are present in any list. (Vip612) (I think because I have set Menu - System Set-up - Local Channels - Channel Display - On the Dish HD channels column pick HD enable.) If that's not why it does it then I don't know why, but it always picks the HD version over the SD one.

Last edited:
this is also available on the 722k by select your menu key and then 8 then 1 and select HD only, that will show all hd's and sd's for channels that do not have sd's

Why not make a favorites list (if yours does not do what I describe below) of all channels you would possibly watch, only put in the HD versions, along with any SD only channels? I didn't get why not from your answer....
Personally, for me a favorites list of that magnitude would be a pain to create and maintain. I've found custom lists to be good for targeted programming like sports, movies, etc.

By the way, my receiver DOES go to the HD version if both are present in any list. (Vip612) (I think because I have set Menu - System Set-up - Local Channels - Channel Display - On the Dish HD channels column pick HD enable.) If that's not why it does it then I don't know why, but it always picks the HD version over the SD one.
That may be true while entering channel numbers, but not while scrolling through the guide...

Personally, for me a favorites list of that magnitude would be a pain to create and maintain. I've found custom lists to be good for targeted programming like sports, movies, etc . ...

This list will take 5-10 minutes to set up. Maintenance, meaning adding and deleting channels, does not take much effort either.

this is also available on the 722k by select your menu key and then 8 then 1 and select HD only, that will show all hd's and sd's for channels that do not have sd's
On my 722k and also my 622 Menu, 8, 1 yields the screen that allows you to customize the screen when viewing the Guide... nothing to do with selecting HD or SD. :confused:

On my 722k and also my 622 Menu, 8, 1 yields the screen that allows you to customize the screen when viewing the Guide... nothing to do with selecting HD or SD. :confused:
I think chiefgeek needs to report his firmware version.

I went searching for Scott's post and I can't find it. Now I'm worried that I spilled the beans from the Pub. :( Oh, oh. Found it, and yes it's in the Pub in a thread entitled something like "Check It Out..." Sorry about that. I have successfully deleted my post above.

Maybe it's time to go public with that Pub thread, since it is apparently appearing on our receivers right now.

Last edited:
To me Dish has two great options already for what the OP wants. why not take the time to make a list to do exactly what you want?
Maintenance only is required when a new channel you want to be able to watch is added, which is not all that often. The second way is a 10 second fix for at least when you pick the channel number.

Thanks for all the replies. Please reread my original post. I did mention that I could make a favorites list to do what I am asking about.
We have three guide choices on the 722. All Channels, All Sub, and All HD. Why not All HD + SD only?
In my opinion Favorites Lists are exactly that for favorite channels not what I am asking about, even though it will work just fine.

Ross

We have three guide choices on the 722. All Channels, All Sub, and All HD. Why not All HD + SD only? ...
Ross,

Select "List1" and then go to the sreen under preferences and chose to Modify List.

You'll go thru a list in numerical order with HD and SD indicated. Put "X"s next to the HD channels and also any other channels you wish to retain. It will take no more, I suspect, then 10 minutes. Save it.

You'll now have what you want.

We have three guide choices on the 722. All Channels, All Sub, and All HD. Why not All HD + SD only?
Hear hear. Rumor has it that this much-needed addition will be coming soon :rolleyes: to our 722's. The HD + SD setting will work like the 922, namely the guide will show only HD channels unless there is a channel only in SD, and then it shows that too. I don't think there will be a configurable setting to do what our 722's do now, which is to show the SD duplicates in the guide and select them first when using the Channel Up button. :rant:

I too don't like the favorites list idea, and I personally don't even want to waste 10 minutes X 3 receivers = 30 minutes even once. Probably I would have to do it all over again for each receiver when Dish adds, deletes, or otherwise rearranges channels e.g. during carriage disputes or free previews. Then there is the inevitable chaos/confusion from other family members who don't know what I did and wonder where their channels went.

BTW - how does one go through hundreds of channels in only 10 minutes?

BTW - how does one go through hundreds of channels in only 10 minutes?

I am looking at the channels from 02 thru 400. When editing the list, the channels are displayed in numerical order in list form with the channel name and number displayed and the HD symbol if in HD. Pushing Select puts a red mark in the channel's name and also moves up or down to the next channel. I get to zoom thru the local channels from 02 to 100. I also get to skip everything from 300 to 328 and everything above 362.

I have not added or deleted a channel in months, IIRC. It actually takes me less then ten minutes one time. If I had foreign or sports or Pay Per View programming, it certainly would take longer than 10 minutes, however. (I have Netflix and thus do not even use the free Dish PPV coupons.)

EDIT: I just went thru and created a new "favorites list." It took me six minutes. I realize this is not a good way to determine which channels as I already have a list that I am comfortable.... that said, an existing user that has not created such a list would also know what channels he or she wants included.

Last edited:
I would have little or no use for a favorite list that has every channel listed, even if it was just the HD ones and the SD ones that were not HD. For instance having all the movies listed with the programs is just too many channels when I am not looking for movies. Having all the public interest channels, etcc is too many channels to go through everytime I scroll. That's why I like making my own favorites list, put in just the HD channels that I want in the list, and the SD channels.
If there is enough interest that there may be such a list as suggested, I hope not at the expense of how many customizable lists we now have.
I am going to send an email asking that if they are going to make a list of only the HD version and SD only channels, that it not delete one of the customizable lists we now get.

The OP is right. What we would like is the same feature available for local channels. This means no maintenance, which is a PITA, nor the inconvenience of using the Locks feature (don't get me started on how many things this screws-up). I had heard on this forum that such a feature was on the way already coming soon, so don't worry about the bean spilling. The favorites list is used for my favorites that often include SD's and are used by others in the household in many homes. The OP's request is one I and others made on this forum long ago, and I am with the OP and understand the preference for such a feature that "All HD" EPG, Favorites List, and Locks do not fully address. Each of those has annoying consequences for, perhaps not some, but for many of us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)