FCC Adopts New Rules for Satellite TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
WASHINGTON - Satellite television providers such as DirecTV and the Dish Network will have to follow the same rules for political and children's advertising as over-the-air broadcasters and cable TV operators under regulations announced Thursday.

The rules issued by the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) require satellite operators to allow political candidates to buy advertising time on their systems and to sell it to them at the lowest rates they offer to commercial customers. Like cable systems, satellite operators have commercial time on the networks they carry that they can sell.

Michael Perko, an official with the FCC (news - web sites)'s media bureau, said the commission acted now because of the increase in satellite. The FCC reported in January that 23.7 million Americans get television through a satellite service, 22 percent of all households that pay for television. Cable, with 70.5 million households, has 75 percent of the market.

The FCC also limited the amount of commercial time on children's programs to 12 minutes per hour during the week and 10 1/2 minutes per hour on weekends, the same restrictions on broadcast and cable.

"Most children and parents do not realize that choosing satellite television could mean their children are not protected from more aggressive and inappropriate advertising," said Cheryl Leanza, deputy director of the Media Access Project, a public interest law firm. "All media should be on a level playing field, and all children should be protected, no matter how their programming is delivered to their homes."

Damn....

When I read the topic, I thought "I wonder if this new rule allows satellite to sell locals like cable can (more than one DMA)"

Bummer.....

"Most children and parents do not realize that choosing satellite television could mean their children are not protected from more aggressive and inappropriate advertising,"
Like ads for SmokeAwake, Enerex, and all those "much too powerful for the casual dieter" diet pills that show up on Cartoon Network and Nick? :eek:

Hey, at least BLOUSSANT went out of business?

I wonder about the viability of these rules, how many local or state candidates would want to buy advertising on a CONUS service. I expect the "cheapest" national ad on one of the satellite services is more expensive than the local ads they are buying on broadcast and cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts