FCC Ruling

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
Apparently the FCC has issued a ruling that will allow the disabling of the analog (component) outputs on receivers for the purpose of selling people movies prior to release on DVD.

Their reasoning for this is to force play through the HDMI/DVI inputs preventing any copying.

My question is, can the Dish boxes i.e.: VIP 622/722/922 and others accommodate this selective disabling or outputs?
I suppose this means these movies will not be allow to be recorded via DVR either forcing one to watch in real time. Pretty inconvenient if you ask me and I’ll bet these movies will be fairly expensive to purchase.

Anyone interested should read this entire fiasco as the MPAA originally requested all component outputs be permanently disabled but (at least for the time being) the FCC limited their request to selective content.
FCC lets movie industry selectively break your TV | Molly Rants - CNET News

This is an obnoxious display of unmitigated greed on the part of the MPAA and will result in piracy at levels not seen before because people who copy movies for purposes other than their personal collections don’t do it through the TV or receiver; they do it through our good friend the Internet.

Gotta love the greed in Hollywood. So, what are the folks with older HDTVs that only have component inputs supposed to do? The MPAA is just asking for a lot of pissed off people to pursuit other ways of watching what they want. And if they think that this will stop pirating of movies they have got to be kidding themselves. There are already devices out on the market that strip HDCP from an hdmi signal and output a clean digital signal. I guess it'll stop the casual pirates for a short period of time at best but they'll just go get their stuff from other pirates who have bypassed the measure.

Apparently the FCC has issued a ruling that will allow the disabling of the analog (component) outputs on receivers for the purpose of selling people movies prior to release on DVD.

Their reasoning for this is to force play through the HDMI/DVI inputs preventing any copying.

My question is, can the Dish boxes i.e.: VIP 622/722/922 and others accommodate this selective disabling or outputs?
I suppose this means these movies will not be allow to be recorded via DVR either forcing one to watch in real time. Pretty inconvenient if you ask me and I’ll bet these movies will be fairly expensive to purchase.

Anyone interested should read this entire fiasco as the MPAA originally requested all component outputs be permanently disabled but (at least for the time being) the FCC limited their request to selective content.
FCC lets movie industry selectively break your TV | Molly Rants - CNET News

This is an obnoxious display of unmitigated greed on the part of the MPAA and will result in piracy at levels not seen before because people who copy movies for purposes other than their personal collections don’t do it through the TV or receiver; they do it through our good friend the Internet.

Dish boxes, and essentially all HDMI/DVI equipped boxes, support this feature. It's HDCP, an intrinsic part of the spec.

I don't think it applies to DVR. I think that can be suppressed separately. Programs sent to the DVR are still digital, not analog.

Most people in this country won't bother with pirated video material, at least today. The content owners are quite within their rights to do this, although we may not like it. We license certain rights. They've just decided to throttle back those rights. They certainly don't sell us those movies. If you don't want to pay to watch it on their terms, you'll have to wait for the DVD or Blu-ray release.

There are some Dish customers who have no choice but to watch their programming or PPV through component video. Many of the early HDMI/DVI TV adopters have now found themselves in situations where sloppy code writing by equipment manufacturers have made the digital inputs useless or a pain to deal with. If you take away these customers’ ability to use component video, you take away their ability to order PPV movies.

I have heard that Blu-ray is headed in this same direction. Soon component conections will be limited to 480p.

Yep, applies to ALL digital connections. More and more, we will see restrictions.

So the battle between big media continues with big pirates and those who try to actually pay for their content continue to get the shaft.

One may not want to use component over HDMI, but in real life, inputs can and do break and one needs to adapt. It'd suck that some would lose the interchangeability they'd have with a TV set, something they would have considered when purchasing, because of "security".

MPAA, RIAA, ...scumbags.....all of them. :rant:
...and that's the most "family-friendly" word I can think of to describe money-hungry filth like that. But there is, was, and always will be- ways around them. :cool::up

I'm more concerned about those who espouse the criminally self-righteous attitude that if you can get your hands on something that you logically share all "necessary" rights it with the original owner.

On the other hand, forcefully protecting the sanctity of something which only has a notional existence sounds like an illegal government imposition of religion.

It is silly. People can get pirated copies as soon as a movie hits the theater or even before. Trying to block copies a few months later is too late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)