Fear the Walking Dead (Walking Dead spin-off)

This is actually a really good show but people wanted more of the other show, and this was never going to be that. The problem isn't the show or the writers, the only problem is viewer expectations.
Was it?

The problem for Fear is the severe lack of likable characters. The only one likable in season 1 was the ex-wife, and they killed her off at the end of the season.
The past couple seasons, I didn't mind if any one of them became zombie chow. The older brother that was introduce last season was okay, but of course they killed him off.

This is contrasted by it's mother show which has several fan favorites (Rick, Carl, Michonne, Daryl, Maggie, and Carol).

I watch shows like this for quality writing, direction, and acting. If I want likeable, I'll watch a sitcom. I don't watch many sitcoms BTW. But you are right, this show doesn't have cutesy characters.

FWIW, I dislike most characters on TWD. Maggie is okay but hasn't earned a place of leadership, writers are pandering to a demographic. Daryl screws up left and right, pretty much every decision he makes is a bad one. Rick is a terrible leader that makes bad decisions (he was worse in the comic). Carol is awesome and has earned a place of leadership but has less millennial appeal. Negan is an effective leader but a bit too twirly mustache evil. How are they any more likable than Fear characters.

I watch shows like this for quality writing, direction, and acting. If I want likeable, I'll watch a sitcom. I don't watch many sitcoms BTW. But you are right, this show doesn't have cutesy characters.

FWIW, I dislike most characters on TWD. Maggie is okay but hasn't earned a place of leadership, writers are pandering to a demographic. Daryl screws up left and right, pretty much every decision he makes is a bad one. Rick is a terrible leader that makes bad decisions (he was worse in the comic). Carol is awesome and has earned a place of leadership but has less millennial appeal. Negan is an effective leader but a bit too twirly mustache evil. How are they any more likable than Fear characters.

Well I'm trying to see it from your viewpoint OK, with that said, here is my two cents.

I'm a huge fan of the comics, and the fear the walking dead has no connection to the comics, none but some dead ones.

So here is how I feel, they really went very wrong with fear the walking dead, they should have made a fear the walking dead comic first, now why?

Well, the writers for fear the walking dead have zero material to get ideas from, prove me wrong?

No feedback, in the comics the fans get to post how they feel if you didn't know that you do now, plus there are Youtube chs just for the comics so fan input is always coming in.

They don't have any of that, therefore there flying totally blind, and that means you can crash.

And unless you are a fan of the comics you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, the comics had a large number of mistakes, which were avoided in the TV series.

Example, Rick has his right hand chopped off, and one of his legs screwed up, so he's a cripple now in the comics, the fans said they hated that, so it did not happen, in the TV series.

Many successful series have been made without creating a comic first.

I enjoy Fear because it's not TWD, and I understand I'm in the minority. Matter of fact, I'm the only person in my immediate family and circle of friends that likes Fear. But that doesn't make it a bad show. There is a difference between liking something and the objective quality of that thing. Fear is a well made show although last season there was some dumb writing but that was true for TWD too. The best thing that could happen is everyone that wanted TWD2 realize this isn't that and it's a good thing.

Reactions: Derwin0

I enjoy Fear because it's not TWD, and I understand I'm in the minority. Matter of fact, I'm the only person in my immediate family and circle of friends that likes Fear. But that doesn't make it a bad show. There is a difference between liking something and the objective quality of that thing. Fear is a well made show although last season there was some dumb writing but that was true for TWD too. The best thing that could happen is everyone that wanted TWD2 realize this isn't that and it's a good thing.

There are NO surprises, I can predict almost the whole show, it's boring, I hate boring shows.

I like Colony for that reason, it's packed with a surprise, you almost think you have it figured one way, and damn it does something you never thought of, it keeps me on edge

Fear shows some good spurts, unfortunately for me they tend to ruin it in the long run. First season was fairly good, and the Nick character has shown some potential, but keeps getting wasted.

To each his own though. I'm hoping the addition of Morgan gives me someone to root for again. And possibly Madison would stop doing so many stupid things that get others killed. And that Lexa would wear some of the stuff she wore in 100 :D

Reactions: (((Garyd)))
Fear shows some good spurts, unfortunately for me they tend to ruin it in the long run. First season was fairly good, and the Nick character has shown some potential, but keeps getting wasted.

To each his own though. I'm hoping the addition of Morgan gives me someone to root for again. And possibly Madison would stop doing so many stupid things that get others killed. And that Lexa would wear some of the stuff she wore in 100 :D

Will see, will agree things must change, or I stop

There are NO surprises, I can predict almost the whole show, it's boring, I hate boring shows.

I like Colony for that reason, it's packed with a surprise, you almost think you have it figured one way, and damn it does something you never thought of, it keeps me on edge
So you knew Travis was going to get shot and fall out of helicopter, that his son was going to randomly die off screen, that Alicia was going to suddenly go off on her own. You must be truly prescient. But Colony surprises you.

Nope, but after that great part, the rest went to crap, did it not?
Those were spread out. It's not my intention to argue about a tv show, we all have our likes and dislikes. I do understand what you are saying, there was a lot of dumb stuff but there is dumb stuff on both series. It's annoying but real people do dumb things all the time so I don't hold dumb character decisions against a show. What I don't like is dumb writing like Alicia magically surviving suffocation, her always perfect makeup, or Rick's group hiding behind car windows during a shootout and not getting shot, or when survivors inexplicably forget that zombies are a thing. My point being is that all the problems in Fear are also in TWD, so I really believe the dislike is mostly unfulfilled expectations.

Reactions: Derwin0
Those were spread out. It's not my intention to argue about a tv show, we all have our likes and dislikes. I do understand what you are saying, there was a lot of dumb stuff but there is dumb stuff on both series. It's annoying but real people do dumb things all the time so I don't hold dumb character decisions against a show. What I don't like is dumb writing like Alicia magically surviving suffocation, her always perfect makeup, or Rick's group hiding behind car windows during a shootout and not getting shot, or when survivors inexplicably forget that zombies are a thing. My point being is that all the problems in Fear are also in TWD, so I really believe the dislike is mostly unfulfilled expectations.
Do you read the comics?

Some, I stopped before the show came out (I think) . Last significant thing I remember is Dale being eaten by cannibals after being bitten.
:)Oh, now that would be very good since he was never in the comics, he was only in the video:) But if you saw him, well who I'm I to debate it.

I read the first 90 comics at one time, and then read the rest as they came out, a friend of mine collects them, they do come out about a week after they hit the stores on Youtube, If you don't want pay for it.

Next one should be very good, the last one was slow, huge changes are going on, more to explore.

He may even start to show us what we never expected in the world of the dead, it may not be so dead, we just have to read and see, I don't want to spoil anything.

Daryl Dixon Isn't in The Walking Dead Comic Books, but Are His Stories?

Last edited:
:)Oh, now that would be very good since he was never in the comics, he was only in the video:) But if you saw him, well who I'm I to debate it.

I read the first 90 comics at one time, and then read the rest as they came out, a friend of mine collects them, they do come out about a week after they hit the stores on Youtube, If you don't want pay for it.

Next one should be very good, the last one was slow, huge changes are going on, more to explore.

He may even start to show us what we never expected in the world of the dead, it may not be so dead, we just have to read and see, I don't want to spoil anything.

Daryl Dixon Isn't in The Walking Dead Comic Books, but Are His Stories?

Uh, yes, Dale was in the comic. I think you misread my post. :)

Uh, yes, Dale was in the comic. I think you misread my post. :)
Damn your right, I did, me very bad, very sorry :facepalm
Well, I like where they're going now, never know what Kirtman will write, it's his toy but Eugene is way better in the comics, I hate him in the video, at least he has more guts in the comics, but who knows they may give Eugene a better role in the video, or have him on a 10 meter band shooting skip, to the fear the walking dead people, which would be taking a comic idea

myo1O.jpg

Reactions: wormil
Just watched the 4th season premiere. I must say, a great episode, with 3 likable main characters. I had a good feeling the show had done a 180 and turned things around for the better. That is until the last couple minutes where they ruined it by bringing back several unlikable characters. Oh well, was good while it lasted.

Just watched the 4th season premiere. I must say, a great episode, with 3 likable main characters. I had a good feeling the show had done a 180 and turned things around for the better. That is until the last couple minutes where they ruined it by bringing back several unlikable characters. Oh well, was good while it lasted.
Have not seen it yet, no spoilers not yet :biggrin

Looks like Fear will be getting the next enemy from the comics instead of Rick and the gang.

Fans think Whisperers are coming to Fear Walking Dead
Just saw it, damn your right Bobby the A-holes show up, in the end, the only ones any good are the Black guy, and the Spanish guy, the rest should be killed off, I can not take that lady Madison, she really is very bad in her role, she may be fine for another role, but not that one.

It's possible they could be used, anything is possible, or they could jump to where the comics are now, I still do read, it's been on youtube, and I did view first 100, a long time ago, in one shot.
Youtube does have them about a week after the release
I like Al's truck:D:bounce:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts