Fed-up DirecTV subscribers turn up the volume on hidden fees

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a lot less posts than that and a member for almost as long I just don't have a lot to say or complain about but visit frequently. Please don't lump stupidity with post count and length of membership.

Sorry you read something I didnt say. Never said the man was stupid, or anyone for that matter...but posting a bit more, so the folks that read your opinions will know where you are coming from is essential to having halfway-intelligent discussions...SatGuys is constantly bombarded by nere-do-wells whose sole purpose is to stir up trouble.

I just don't think so.. neither does 20,000 other American's and neither does the BBB or the New York Post. There are real problems here.

This was not some rinky dinky newspaper reporting the problems on DirecTV, this was the new York Post.
I wonder when did the Post changed their name..

I dont see this as news...

It was already mentioned by our great Scott.. Some weeks ago..

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...irectv-taking-disputed-cancellation-fees.html

Admit that you are bitter about the CE problem with DirecTV trying to censor you, and that is why your are doing this.. Which I think DirecTV is wrong in doing..

Nice strategy of yours...

Only a few here have had this problem which is a CSR problem in not inputting information correctly..

And please stop asking people that hasn't had any problem with DirecTV to look at it your way.. I have called them many times and never had a problem with treatment.. I have never heard anyone with an Indian accent pick up.

Same with Dish.. Good treatment even from the folks in the India call center.

You know what would be more helpfull of yours is to try to get your money from DirecTV faster and tell folks here how you did it...

Get A Life

Send in the government to fix your problems with big greedy corporations...please, grow up and get a life. No one came to your house and made you sign up for DTV. The wrapping on the access card clearly states your commitment when breaking the seal, all you have to do is send it back if you don't agree.
I know, why don't you start the company your wishing for and put your money up. Then maybe we can send in the Democrats when idiots start complaining to the BBB that they can't get everything for free. Just because someone complains to the BBB, that does not make them correct they could just suck.
By the way if you owned a company then you would know what a joke the "BBB" is.

People come to these boards seeking help with their sat system or wanting to share their experience. To come to the front page of this web site to see headlines like this is a real turn-off. I have not been here that often recently and see no need to return for a while.

Please, start a service rants forum for the various providers and confine your discussion of this nature there.

This isn't a traditional media outlet, but your viewers/listeners/followers are switching stations. Sponsors and other supporters don't like that.

Your right, people are switching. I came here because of Scott's "Tell it like it is" attitude vs. the D* can do no wrong mentality found on other sites.

Last edited:
Send in the government to fix your problems with big greedy corporations...please, grow up and get a life. No one came to your house and made you sign up for DTV. The wrapping on the access card clearly states your commitment when breaking the seal, all you have to do is send it back if you don't agree.
I know, why don't you start the company your wishing for and put your money up. Then maybe we can send in the Democrats when idiots start complaining to the BBB that they can't get everything for free. Just because someone complains to the BBB, that does not make them correct they could just suck.

When you make comments like this, you lose all credibility in your argument. :(

How is that?
Do you know anything about the BBB, or was it something else I said?

I've highlighted the sections where your argument went south. I certainly don't mind having a reasonable debate. It's telling people to get a life, calling them idiots because you don't agree, and bashing Democrats (which I am not one) when that has nothing to do with OP.

As far as the BBB goes, yes I am very familiar with them. I am aware that anyone can make a complaint. I am aware that BBB's in different states operate differently. I also know that businesses that have an excellent reputation with the BBB proudly display it on their businesses and web sites.

I really love these folks who keep making like nothing is wrong at DirecTV, and this this commitment issue is a problem with Scott (me) and DirecTV.

It's 20,000+ complaints about it to the BBB...

And also let me tell you that a number of states AG's offices are getting ready to file suit against DirecTV. I myself have been contacted by a number of investigators about whats going on and I am told they are getting flooded by complaints over the issue.

Stop and forget about me or SatelliteGuys and take a look at whats really going on here. Don't you guys want to see DirecTV get better again? I know I do.

I have no problem recommending DirecTV to new customer, as those customers will not have the issues that others have been having. And hopefully two years from now when their contracts are up DirecTV will have its act together and have this bogus contract extension stuff corrected.

I will tell you the honest truth that thing that pissed me off the most about all of this was when I canceled I was told that the ETF was waived, and then a few weeks later I had $100 taken out of my bank account. Thats when I felt I was lied to by DirecTV. And to make matters worse I was told I could not have MY MONEY back for 2 months. That's not right and I still have not gotten my refund yet. :(

I spent 4 days with DirecTV reps this weekend, and even they agree that something is very broken at the company but the "Bean counters" in upper management don't seem to care at the moment.

Please just take a look at the bigger picture here.

Went South

I've highlighted the sections where your argument went south. I certainly don't mind having a reasonable debate. It's telling people to get a life, calling them idiots because you don't agree, and bashing Democrats (which I am not one) when that has nothing to do with OP.

As far as the BBB goes, yes I am very familiar with them. I am aware that anyone can make a complaint. I am aware that BBB's in different states operate differently. I also know that businesses that have an excellent reputation with the BBB proudly display it on their businesses and web sites.

Thank you for highlighting the points where I went south.

The first post references the following - State Sen. Jeff Klein (D-Bronx) had proposed legislation to make sure cable and satellite companies disclose early cancelation fees in a clear manner to consumers - something DirecTV says it already does. - which does appear to be from a Democrat.

Growing up is a part of life when you take responsibility for your own decisions and actions..like opening a clearly marked wrapper that states doing so will increase your commitment.

The BBB is a shakedown racket that does allow you to proudly display their logo and your rating if you pay them yearly for the right to do so which could be $300 a year for a company of 2 employees to much more depending on size.

Why would you have to pay on a tier system based on employee level if it was not a scam. Do some research, the BBB rates every company that pays the fee better than companies that do not.

And some people do suck, you know that or your not breathing.

20 million subs and the average bill is around $80.00 depending on what kinds of service and receivers you have in your homes. If my math is correct, thats about 300 million coming into D* each month in monthly fees. The big question is what is D* doing with all that money. I do know they have to pay for the rights to broadcast the stations that are on now. I do realize sports is a huge cash cow, but how long can the average family pay these fees to pay people extreme amounts of cash to play the games. I do think they stress sports more than they provide national HD channels and could expand the lineup to be competitive to cable. Seems like cable is catching up in the HD department according to the chart over at avsforums.
Like Scott has said, you have to see the whole picture and not just parts of what you think. D* has certainly halted its expansion of HD for some unknown reason. Too many CINEHD channels is one possible reason. How many do you need to watch the same movie. They really were on a roll for while. I for one do not like deceptive billing or CSR's who lie to you just to get you off the phone. I do write the name of the person I am talking with and take notes so I am not confused. I do feel bad for those who get that kind of treatment. Like I stated earlier in my previous post, D* needs to clean up it's act and run itself like a sat co and be #1. It can do it but it chooses not to at this moment. I think honesty would go a long way to correct the many issues that D* is having right now. Come out with a statment saying what has happened and what they plan to do in the future to correct it. Not many people I know like to be lied with extended service contracts because they changed out a receiver. Seems like lying has become accepted but I will not stoop down to that level, period. I work retail and know how it works. The hidden fees and stipulations are just plain wrong. This is my 2 cents worth again.

Last edited:
20 million subs and the average bill is around $150.00 depending on what kinds of service and receivers you have in your homes. If my math is correct, thats about 300 million coming into D* each month in monthly fees. The big question is what is D* doing with all that money. I do know they have to pay for the rights to broadcast the stations that are on now. I do realize sports is a huge cash cow, but how long can the average family pay these fees to pay people extreme amounts of cash to play the games. I do think they stress sports more than they provide national HD channels and could expand the lineup to be competitive to cable. Seems like cable is catching up in the HD department according to the chart over at avsforums.
Like Scott has said, you have to see the whole picture and not just parts of what you think. D* has certainly halted its expansion of HD for some unknown reason. Too many CINEHD channels is one possible reason. How many do you need to watch the same movie. They really were on a roll for while. I for one do not like deceptive billing or CSR's who lie to you just to get you off the phone. I do write the name of the person I am talking with and take notes so I am not confused. I do feel bad for those who get that kind of treatment. Like I stated earlier in my previous post, D* needs to clean up it's act and run itself like a sat co and be #1. It can do it but it chooses not to at this moment. I think honesty would go a long way to correct the many issues that D* is having right now. Come out with a statment saying what has happened and what they plan to do in the future to correct it. Not many people I know like to be lied with extended service contracts because they changed out a receiver. Seems like lying has become accepted but I will not stoop down to that level, period. I work retail and know how it works. The hidden fees and stipulations are just plain wrong. This is my 2 cents worth again.
Wow. I didn't know the average bill was $150 a month. I don't pay that . I get the baseball package but that's it. This is what I did to adjust to the tough times. I didn't go to any pro sport events this year. None. I also didn't buy any merchandise of my favorite teams. I have in the past but I wanted to keep my baseball package and my Satellite Service. That alone paid for my baseball package and part of the Satellite Bill.

I've never had Directv lie to me . They have given me good deals on sports packages. And they do deserve credit for that. Look at the deals people have received on the NFL Sunday Ticket this year. And I still see plenty of sell outs at the NFL Games so far this year so people adjust.

Just my two cents, or my one cent because of the economy, I can't afford two cents. :)

D* average bill I think was $76 per month according to a past press release. No way the average D* customer spends $150 per month. I don't believe that for a second.

The wrapping on the access card clearly states your commitment when breaking the seal, all you have to do is send it back if you don't agree.

Good info. Up until now I didnt even know access cards came in a wrapper since I didnt get a chance to look at them before the installer put them in the receivers.

I guess with this in mind, that poor guy is on the hook for the 2 year commitment. ;)

So you're telling me that, tomorrow morning when the D* tech comes to investigate my DVR recording issue, and if he finds it necessary to replace my HR20, I'll get stuck with a two year commitment? (I have the prot. plan and am out of contract). :confused:

D* average bill I think was $76 per month according to a past press release. No way the average D* customer spends $150 per month. I don't believe that for a second.
I find that hard to believe also unless they are counting sports packs both individuals and bars.

Just because someone complains to the BBB, that does not make them correct they could just suck.

If you pay for the MLBEI package and it is advertised as having 8 games on one channel, and then for the last 4 Sundays of the season this channel is not available,how does this make someone who gets brushed off by D* CSR suck ? They blatantly misrepresented their product and accepted full payment for only partial service. Maybe people should try to find all the details before they start to throw stones.I hope this guy doesn't live in a glass house.

Direc just keeps getting worse

I really love these folks who keep making like nothing is wrong at DirecTV, and this this commitment issue is a problem with Scott (me) and DirecTV.

It's 20,000+ complaints about it to the BBB...

And also let me tell you that a number of states AG's offices are getting ready to file suit against DirecTV. I myself have been contacted by a number of investigators about whats going on and I am told they are getting flooded by complaints over the issue.

Stop and forget about me or SatelliteGuys and take a look at whats really going on here. Don't you guys want to see DirecTV get better again? I know I do.

I have no problem recommending DirecTV to new customer, as those customers will not have the issues that others have been having. And hopefully two years from now when their contracts are up DirecTV will have its act together and have this bogus contract extension stuff corrected.

I will tell you the honest truth that thing that pissed me off the most about all of this was when I canceled I was told that the ETF was waived, and then a few weeks later I had $100 taken out of my bank account. Thats when I felt I was lied to by DirecTV. And to make matters worse I was told I could not have MY MONEY back for 2 months. That's not right and I still have not gotten my refund yet. :(

I spent 4 days with DirecTV reps this weekend, and even they agree that something is very broken at the company but the "Bean counters" in upper management don't seem to care at the moment.

Please just take a look at the bigger picture here.

Spoke to a credit rep last night who informed me why direc has changed their policies.

She returned my call from 2 months ago. I voiced my concern how direcs stellar customer service has severly dropped.

She told me that CSRs were giving too many credits. Company lost to much money last year. Also that if CSRs are giving too many credits they will be terminated.

They needed to tighten their belt. According to her thats also why we have seen less HD on direc. Bad economy.

This just baffles me...

I bit the bullet and gave them a whopping 580 dollars for both NFL and CI.
I did this begrudingly...

Only place to catch my Ny sports...What a shame..

Please tell me whos running this ship????

So you're telling me that, tomorrow morning when the D* tech comes to investigate my DVR recording issue, and if he finds it necessary to replace my HR20, I'll get stuck with a two year commitment? (I have the prot. plan and am out of contract). :confused:

No you won't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.