Feedback for DVR story

SteveDonohue

Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I'm working on a story for Multichannel News about problems some digital video recorder users have had with their picture freezing up and other glitches that require the subscriber to reboot the set-top or replace the box. If you are a cable or satellite DVR user, and wouldn't mind spending a few minutes talking about your experience with DVRs from companies such Scientific-Atlanta and TiVo, please give me a call or e-mail me your contact information.
Thanks very much,

Steve Donohue
National Editor
Multichannel News
646-746-6540
sdonohue@reedbusiness.com

Thanks Steve, I will put this on our homepage so more people know about it.

Good luck with your story, and if you ever need anything just ask. :)

There will always be glitches with any new technology. And IMHO, the vast majority of DVR users are glitch free. I've owned four DVR's from two brands over the past 5 years. Never had a problem with any of them.

So, Instead of writing something that would make people hesitant about getting a DVR, how about you write something that describes the many benefits DVR's have brought and how they make life easier?

Well, I have a Dish Network model 510 and its pretty much flawless. Its becoming an older model now and has matured. I do not have lockups or frozen screen.

There are newer Dish Models which have issues, specificaly the 522, and notoriously the $999 HDTV model 921 which is a scandal all on its own.

I've had my 510 since march. The only glitch I've experienced is that it erased all my programs, including the ones I had protected. This was probably around april, I think many of us had the same thing happen around the same time.

Since then, it has been a very reliable box.

Nothing but kudos for the little box that could :D

I've had my 510 since Jan/Feb. Maybe four or five times since then, I've seen it freeze up and require a reboot. In other words, much less often than my computers require rebooting. :)

I've had my "Lifetime" Series II TiVo for a couple of years, and it has required maybe two reboots in all that time.

Knock on wood, I haven't lost any programming on either. I like them both.

Steve I have the Samsung Tivo for DirecTV 40hr. What a piece of Junk. I have to reboot the unit about twice a week. The playback will freeze and the unit will lock up. I have also encountered where the picture turns black and white and a reboot is needed to fix this problem also. Two thumbs down to this unit.

I have had very few issues with my 721, It has been rock solid since I got it with one exception. Around Midnight to 1 am, the thing is very sluggish every night. My guess is that it is loading the Extended EPG at that time and it is somehow processor intensive.

If the article focuses on only what is bad about the DVRs without first stating that most people who have them are perfectly happy with their perfomance, I would have issues with that. However I do recognize that there are those who haven't been as fortunate. To this day I use a Dishplayer 7200. The unit was never crap, but it has gone through its software phases. My only remaining issue with it is unrelated to the PVR function. This unit cannot see my local channels now. It sees every other channel, but it mirrors the next lowest channel (KWGN) on all my local channel numbers. The EPG is fine and shows the correct program, howerver the unit does not display the correct channel.

This is a documented bug and the tech department basically told me to live with it because there was no fix at the time. They also told me there MIGHT be a software fix in the future. It's been 5 months and still no fix.

See ya
Tony

I like the ease of use the Tivo has over the DISH PVR. I haven't use the Motorolla HD/DVR box or the Atlanta-Scientific though I would guess it's like the Moto and DISH boxes.

I like that I can record programs that come on during the evening and watch then when I get home at 1:15am. I haven't had a single problem with the Tivo box. It's the Directv Tivo for the record.

I've had three Dish DVR models. the 72XX the 5xx and the 721.
All have been wonderful additions to my household.
All have had moments of pure horror.
I would not trade my 721 for anything (except maybe a working 921).
They have quite simply changed the nature of television for me and my family.

I have had a 508 for 8 months and have never had an issue. Never lost a program (except for the time I forgot to set the timer). Hae had one freeze up, but that was during a rain storm, so I have a feeling the signal was kaput when I tried to change channels.

Love my 508 :)

I have had a 501 for about 3 years, have not lost any programs on it but am having Receiver related issues with it now. I have had a Replay 5040 since early December of last year and have since upgraded it to 240 hours ( it came with 40) and bought another Replay 5040 in May and recently upgraded it to 280 hours. Only lost programs on the first Replay once due to a Cable problem going to the hard drives. I have not used a VCR in over a year, possibly 2 years(bought a dvd recorder with dvd-ram and used before Replay) in fact I do not think I own a VCR that works anymore.

Ease of use??????? I guess i havent tried a tivo yet, but dish makes it super easy. My 510 onscreen looks just like my old and newer recievers. The browse while you watch full screen is and has been for last 5 years AWESOME. I totally hate my parents DTV system, no browse, super slow, and it is supported by a phone company thats only open from 9-5 weekdays, ugggh!!!!! Dish has always had better functionality. How much simpler can it get, go to guide find program u want to record, press select, hmm seems pretty easy to me!! I know my parents stuff is about 5 years old, but my dish stuff thats 5 years old is way better!!!! I also have a 7200 pvr and that works great, now that is less user friendly, but that was due to MSN Webplayer, that was just a really dumb idea, considering South Dakota only had 2 cities that you could get MSN service, dumb dumb dumb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts