Feedhorn Cover

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
Mother Nature has been very rough on my BUD this year mostly with the heavy wet sticky snow which knocks out my signal. :(

Well this time she threw a different punch and took my feedhorn cover away!!!... :eek:

Is there any advantage(s) or disadvantage(s) of not having a cover on my BUD??? I have seen other setups without covers on this site but I did not know if they were removed for photographic purposes only. :confused:

I have one exposed and one with the cover. I'm thinking about covering the open one for the winter. Seems like the opposite for summer, better not to bake it.

BTW, the cable company dish LNBs are all exposed around here on their commercial BUDs.

I didn't have one for years, then decided to get one. I have had problems with weak signals on my FTA receivers and when I was checking out the dish I decided to remove it. I had the unit set on G28 and I noticed that without the cover I picked up 5 digits on the signal strength. This was enough to get a good lock and maintain the signal. The cover is now laying on the bench in the garage. When I wasn't using one I did discover that a piece of Mama's nylon stockings or drawers stretched across the feed horn with plastic ties will keep the sumertime varmets out and still let a strong signal through. For the record, it was Mama's idea to try the drawers and nylons. :eek:

One of each here. My 7.5 footer has a cover and my 10 footer doesn't. Mainly 'cause the 7.5 is for the 4DTV, and the 10 is my "feed hunter" and as such, gets tinkered with regularly!:D They seem to work fine either way.

As long as your connectors are waterproofed, I don't see a need for cover. There is a cable company down the street from us and they must have around 20-30 C-band dishes in their yard. None with a cover.

Thanks fot the input!

I guess I will go "naked" for a while and see what I can catch! I am getting mixed reception from my wife about exposing my equipment. :eek: I do have some protection with the compression fittings on my connectors. :cool:

Is it a good idea to seal up the connections overtop with some kind of putty or silocone??? :confused:

I know someone who is using the type of coax connectors that are threaded and screwed on by hand! None of his connections are covered and he still receives a signal somehow!!!... !sadroll

I know someone who is using the type of coax connectors that are threaded and screwed on by hand! None of his connections are covered and he still receives a signal somehow!!!... !sadroll
...That will soon change.:rolleyes: -Gotta have 'em crimped on and sealed up!

If you decide to get a cover, go to your local bakery and get a 2 gallon bucket with lid. Cut the appropriate size hole in the lid and bolt it to the scalar ring, then reinstall the LNB and snap the bucket to the lid, add a couple of drywall screws if needed. Depending on how long your LNB is, you could use a 5 quard ice cream bucket too. They also make an excellent switch house, screw to wooden post, cut hole in lid, fit all cables and switches through the hole and snap on. I have one and it keeps everything dry, but like was mentioned, the bugs do like to take up residence there.

Ya gotta have a feed horn cover, where else can wasp's live.

They just lookin for a home.

I guess I have a lot to learn about the birds and the bees!!! :rolleyes:

The only problem with wasps was last year when they set up camp inside my BSC621. :) I had great luck with that ole 621 until some of the channels that my wife liked to watch started disappearing. I was not too concerned until my Discovery suite was affected and her channels were back! :eek: I took the cover off and saw nothing until I took the cap off of the 621 and there they were! Certain channels would come and go depending on where the bees were!!!

I think its an aquired taste. I went to a little trouble to put my cover on. I had to modify the back plate and cover to work on a button hook. I even painted it. I hate it! makes my dish look small and i can definately see it wiggle around now, where as it didn't before, except on a rough stop when changing sats. I'll leave it for now see if i like it better later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts