Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My other options are directv, comcast or wow. Comcast dvr is horrible and wow lacks in hd channels. I'm not sure what we will do other than ask for a credit on the increase. Wife's already mad we don't have bravo or style. Plus I'd be nice to have espn u in hd.

I really don't think the receiver fee hikes had much if any to do with the acquisitions, or lawsuits (except maybe the Autohop lawsuits, since those are directly affecting the Hopper model). It was their flawed business model of charging the same monthly fee for a 2nd Hopper as a Joey, and as a result, hoards of people took advantage of it (2H/1J, 2H/0J, etc). Now they are scrambling to stop the bleeding and recoup their receiver costs.

Nah. They have louse new sub numbers, and so they have to crow about something on the future quarterlies and all the YEARS Dish has lost subscribers and barley makes a dent, they've been able to crow about INCREASE profits, but this is due to their fee structure, not acquiring new subs. This is all about keeping Wall Street from taking a dive on Dish and keeping the stock price as health as they can. "We've only net gained 5 subscribers. But, look, our profits are up!"

I'd really like to know if they are going to offer price protection to new sign ups on the equipment fees for x amount of time. It clearly shows the per month fees for the equipment on the contract. I have a new customer contract right here in front of me that I signed up last night with the fee schedule and it says nothing about them changing without notice. I just can't believe they would take someone that signed up today and jack up the bill $11 next month.

I realize this was mentioned a couple times above but I'd like to see a concrete answer from a DIRT member. Its going to be almost impossible for me to push a 2 Hopper install with fees like this.

The only thing Dish is promising is the discount you will get for the specified time. They are not guaranteeing what the discount will be based off of. As for the rates, those are the rates at the time. Just go to their site and read the consumer contract. You may be new to this, we are not! :)

I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming,
programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming,
programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to
which you have agreed.

The only thing Dish is promising is the discount you will get for the specified time. They are not guaranteeing what the discount will be based off of. As for the rates, those are the rates at the time. Just go to their site and read the consumer contract. You may be new to this, we are not! :)

I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming,
programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming,
programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to
which you have agreed.

Believe me, I've been in this as long as anyone. If they hit new customers with that much of a fee just a month or two after sign up I'm certainly going to get the raw end of the deal.

I've pushed the 2 Hopper installs for anyone over 2 rooms and now I feel really bad for all those customers I've signed up in the last year. In fact, I just upgraded my in-laws to a 2nd Hopper on Easter weekend and regret that.

I would dare to say many of those second Hoppers will be getting boxed up soon.

My other options are directv, comcast or wow. Comcast dvr is horrible and wow lacks in hd channels. I'm not sure what we will do other than ask for a credit on the increase. Wife's already mad we don't have bravo or style. Plus I'd be nice to have espn u in hd.

Best option for everyone: Cancel and switch to OTA and/or FTA. And force pay TV providers to offer a la carte. When we canceled Dish they tried to convince us to change our minds, they told us that they will do "almost anything" to keep us. I told them that we don't need hundreds of channels, we need only 15, maximum 20 channels. If they can sell us only the channels that we watch, we will be glad to stay with them. It was not possible. I told them to call us back when it will be possible. In the mean time we have OTA, Netflix and Amazon. More than enough. And we save around $80 each month.

I don't agree with you, but that's a subject for a different thread.

I would dare to say many of those second Hoppers will be getting boxed up soon.

While I don't disagree with your post, I think in the end most will grumble a lot and not change much.

For me, one Hopper plus a Joey wouldn't cut it and since I'm so newly returned the cost of a Joey upfront would offset any savings I could expect doing that change. In my situation, the new fees amount to a 61% increase in fees and an overall 7+% change in total cost, which makes the actual increases this year around the 12% mark. That is absurd imo.

But I switched because of Epix and ReelzHD and switching back, though it makes very minor financial sense, ends up as a loss in what I want to watch. Even reducing the base programming won't work as there are a couple channels there we watch quite often in the T250 that aren't in the T200.

So in the end it is very possible that I'll just eat the damned increase until D* gets Epix and ReelzHD or I decide I don't care enough about those.

which you have agreed.
That's not the right section of their agreement. Dish distinguishes between "services" and equipment (fees). Exhibit 1 is the applicable section:

In addition to any amounts due for your Services and any other amounts due under this Agreement or any applicable Package Plan
Agreement, you agree to pay the fees listed in the table below (“Fees”) if and when applicable. DISH may change these Fees,
increase or decrease these Fees, or impose additional Fees at any time upon notice to you.
They gave notice - end of story (for those bluffing about getting a lawyer involved or claiming Dish broke their end of the agreement therefore allowing "me" to get out of it). None of this suggests that I agree with these increases as they affect me as well ! I just like to stick to facts ! :)

Uh, when did Dish give notice of these fee increases?

I've gotten no email, snail mail, note on my bill or any other official communication showing this increase. Nor have I seen any official indication of it on their website.

Believe me, I've been in this as long as anyone. If they hit new customers with that much of a fee just a month or two after sign up I'm certainly going to get the raw end of the deal.

I've pushed the 2 Hopper installs for anyone over 2 rooms and now I feel really bad for all those customers I've signed up in the last year. In fact, I just upgraded my in-laws to a 2nd Hopper on Easter weekend and regret that.

I've been a big supporter of people getting two Hoppers also. I just sold a two Hopper setup to a customer we will be installing tomorrow. Very frustrating.

In addition to any amounts due for your Services and any other amounts due under this Agreement or any applicable Package Plan
Agreement, you agree to pay the fees listed in the table below (“Fees”) if and when applicable. DISH may change these Fees,
increase or decrease these Fees, or impose additional Fees at any time upon notice to you.

The clause about the increase or decrease in fees is not on the customer contract I have in front of me that I created last night. I realize that its probably hidden somewhere but I can't find it. Its states that programming costs are subject to change but that's it.

Last edited:
Uh, when did Dish give notice of these fee increases?

I've gotten no email, snail mail, note on my bill or any other official communication showing this increase. Nor have I seen any official indication of it on their website.

They have not been implemented yet, I'm guessing there will be an announcement at some time about it, and it will appear as notice in a bill you get.

Wow, I am a bit shocked considering the fee increase earlier this year. I'm glad I haven't upgraded to the Hopper yet, still using the 722k. Now I'm seriously going to consider switching to DirecTV.

They gave notice - end of story (for those bluffing about getting a lawyer involved or claiming Dish broke their end of the agreement therefore allowing "me" to get out of it). None of this suggests that I agree with these increases as they affect me as well ! I just like to stick to facts ! :)
Facts are overrated, especially to the people whose opinions clash with the facts.

You can't have more then 1 Genie. So hard to give you a price on that.

They don't allow it any more, but when the HR34/Genie first came out, a few people got them to authorize more than one, so there are a few accounts that do have more than one Genie. It is the same $6 per month lease/mirror fee as any DirecTV receiver.

Thirty-Four Pages of Building Displeasure

I just upgraded to two HWS and now I am going to see an $11 increase on top of a programming increase. This is ridiculous. I like others will be looking to downgrade and throw a fit if they follow through with this plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts